Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGO 8 Europe - Reviewed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGO 8 Europe - Reviewed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTS voices are like an unofficial add-on pack someone just put together from some other software (tomtom ?) but does work very well on igo8.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iGO8 comes with its own TTS voices but since they are also using the Loquendo engine you can use some of the TomTom files.

Technically, that is. Legally this is verboten. Hence please stop discussing it (the TomTom variant) here.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
linknet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Lutz

Whats the latest official version ? I see the previous post showing v8.0.0.41506.

Is that an official release since I think mine is only v8.0.0.31442. Sad

Regards
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
iGO8 comes with its own TTS voices

No it does not, the reviewer and even nav n go`s own website states.

Quote:
** Text-to-Speech (TTS) voice profiles are not included in this product in order to ensure compatibility with as many PDA/Smartphone devices as possible.
Cygnet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After waiting so long for the 2008 It doesnt list my HP 6915 as being compatible ! Crying
Dazeck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to buy IGO Navngo 8 in the UK ?

I have tried it and it knocks the socks off anything else so I now want to own it.
szetok
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its does not look like it is yet available in the U.K. From I-Go's web site they list Nemisis as a distributor, but it only shows I-Go 6?? on their web site.

It seems available in other countries I.E France
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just had a quick try with IGO8 with a view of updating and very disapointed with first impressions, UK map although 2008 issue is no more uptodate than TT675 1409 and more out of date than Navteq 675 1322, secondly the screen seems to more full of secondary information than the Map itself which appears to make the Map graphic very small, The map itself along with TTs must be 4-5 yrs out of date, specifically look at the POI submission map google map in hybrid mode which is the same as the igo for The Rushes in Loughborough centre, if you go down Shakespeare street which is a dead end it takes staright thru Marks and spencers into a T junction left thru tye shoe department or right thru the Virgin Megastore (not sure which DVD category) or take Biggin street (now no thru road) and turn right into Virgins front door and out thru M & S and thru a couple more building, these where built over 5 yrs ago, although must admit seem to have quite a lot more functualty than TT6 does lack the simplicity of TT6 and I did not really have time to really play a lot but have it for another week so will persevere,
Overall it would appear to have many more functions than Tomtom but harder to transgress to, Perhaps TomTom should take note if they ever decide to continue in the PDA market, loaned on Mio168.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, the vast majority of people use tomtom all the time and have got used to it as if it is the only thing out there (just like windows). So anything different is alien to them and instead of learning something new they expect it to be exactly the same as tomtom and when it ain't they are negative.

Once you get the hang of Igo8 it is one fantastic piece of software and totally delivers the goods in performance/features. The only one thing which is crap is the way it handles postcodes.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only a first impression and I dont think I expect it to be the same as Tomtom, I am just comparing the simplicity of TT and also state that tomtom should take note of the functuality of IGO, I also agree that the majority of users are and probably more so now will migrate so will find it more difficult but lets face when driving most people need the simplicity, anyway to my mind their is absolutely no excuse for Maps to be 4-5 yrs out of date for which most people may change for, whether this is down to Igo,tomtom or Teleatlas, who knows?.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamj wrote:
The only one thing which is crap is the way it handles postcodes.

What's wrong with the way it handles postcodes. I have MioMap 3.2 which is an earlier Igo issue and was considering an update to Igo 8. MioMap handles UK postcodes fine and dandy providing that you put the space in.
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong with the way it handles postcodes.

After entering the postcode you have to find the house/street number on the map screen rather than being able to enter it. Not that bad once you get used to it but it will certainly put people off.

@aj2052

Same problem with shakespeare street is on google maps/multimap/AA Route planner but autoroute 2k7/garmin i3/map quest show it as a dead end, so it must be down to Teleatlas.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
I am just comparing the simplicity of TT

personally i don't find tomtom that simple... i grew up on garmin and also use copilot 7 and igo 8. whenever i fire up the tomtom i have to concentrate a bit more!!

basically, it's what you get used to and when it changes it seems wrong/different/harder etc!

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
basically, it's what you get used to and when it changes it seems wrong/different/harder etc!

Agreed,
Personally my main reason for upgrading is more uptodate Maps and having just checked out Teleatlas site then anything using Teleatlas maps is going to be out of date, incedently I did think the Igo 8 was great for functuality but some misgivings in a few places, must play more and wait for more uptodate maps before considering upgrade, other thing bothering me is that I am using 8gb card and it seems a shame not able to use it with igo.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since TomTom may not be updated for PDA I have been looking for a possible replacement. I borrowed a device with iGo6 installed and was most impressed by the features. But like others, after primarily using TomTom for a couple of years, I found the interface unfamiliar. The good news is there are some guys skinning the iGo8 navigation display to function like TomTom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: