Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - report on first use: issues in route planning and unresponsv
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

report on first use: issues in route planning and unresponsv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostinleeds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: report on first use: issues in route planning and unresponsv Reply with quote

I am a novice to GPS as well as to Satmap and, despite the issues helpfully aired on this board, decided to take the plunge because of all the easily identifiable advantages. On the whole - so far - I am glad I did. I have just had an epic ride in the dales battling the wind and am now preparing for a ride with a group of friends in Scotland over 4 days.

I enjoyed the experience of being able to see clearly (using 1:25k N Yorks West map) the lie of the orad ahead as I approached, though reflection on screen and the colouring of the route did make it hard to see clearly at times.

Two niggles:

[/b]Loss of data in route planning[/b] The RAM of the device doesn't seem to cope with a lot of waypoint data - and I have found it necessary, if planning on the machine direct, to save frequently and then edit the route. That's bearable (though it would have helped to have known this in advance); what is more annoying is that, if you forget to save the new edits before moving to a new screen, the machine loses the whole route - not just your most recent edits.

unresponsive keys Whilst doing the route and on the gps map, I found all soft keys unresponsive or slow to respond. The backlight function took several seconds to come on after pressing the button; and at times it proved next to impossible to switch from gps to planning (neccessary to access settings like the backlight) or to increase/decrease zoom. This only happens when on the trip - any ideas?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: report on first use: issues in route planning and unresp Reply with quote

lostinleeds wrote:
unresponsive keys Whilst doing the route and on the gps map, I found all soft keys unresponsive or slow to respond. The backlight function took several seconds to come on after pressing the button; and at times it proved next to impossible to switch from gps to planning (neccessary to access settings like the backlight) or to increase/decrease zoom. This only happens when on the trip - any ideas?
Which version of the software do you have loaded?(Go to Settings/About). Earlier versions (1.16) had issues with "large route files" and the unit would slow markedly when such a route was "active". Quite what counted as "a large" file was never clear to me - it seemed to happen with all my routes, but they are cycling routes and so likely to be "large" compared with those of walkers. I have only just loaded version beta 1.189 and haven't yet tried it with any "active" routes.
lostinleeds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 1.16. I had wondered about trying a later beta - but to be honest discussion on here didn't convince me the issues would be resolved by that, and suggest also that the latest beta may yet be problematic.

Like you, I am a cyclist and so was working with a long route (75 miles) on a small scale map. The screen didn't freeze or white-out (therefore I didn't experience the problems I was most fearing and have been reported with previous versions of the software). The only time the screen has frozen I can account for by how much I've been fiddling with buttons before it's ready to receive instruction.

I'll see what happens when I go away for 4 days of long rides later in the week and revisit your suggestion then. Thanks for your reply.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: report on first use: issues in route planning and unresp Reply with quote

Some users believe that the system slowing down is linked to the number/size of files in memory. I try to tidy up after each walk and keep the memory as clear as possible. It could just be luck but I haven't suffered any slowdown and it has only frozen on seven+ hour(990K of data) walks.
lostinleeds wrote:

.....and at times it proved next to impossible to switch from gps to planning (neccessary to access settings like the backlight) or to increase/decrease zoom. This only happens when on the trip - any ideas?

I'm a little confused as to why you need to go to the planning screen to access settings or increase/decrease zoom. Looking at the 'Page Menu Guide' in the 'Quick start user guide' the instructions are unclear and you could be forgiven for thinking that you need to use the joystick.

From the map screen you can access each page in turn by repeatedly pressing the page menu button(bottom right button in default setting). When you have selected the main menu page press the button 'Settings', only then do you need to use the joystick - you do not enter planning mode. When in GPS screen zoom by using the two right hand side buttons.
lostinleeds
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

I wouldn't describe the symptoms as the unit freezing - since it still tracked my route on the GPS screen. It's just that it would not allow me to leave the GPS screen - so I was locked to that screen, but the screen still rolled with my movement across the map and tracked the trip. I had nothing in RAm apart from my trip, which was stored on the SD card.

I was trying to do just as you describe: press the map menu button to access settings from the main screen - sorry for confusing you.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update my earlier post...... I've now tried the new software (v1.189) with a short route enabled as "active" and there was no discernable slowing down of the button functions. I also seem to be getting better battery life; I'm using a Li-pol cell and the "Advanced" power mode, with 80% backlight and the screen always on. I've done two 75 miles rides, each on a freshly charged cell, and I haven't lost a battery block either time (and I don't ride quickly!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: