Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
junglykutha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
HTC Have announced the XDA Diamond for O2 Germany today, the spec sheet lists TomTom Navigator 7 preinstalled, see here.

We're seeking more information and will update that thread as we receive it.

You have to hand it to TomTom.....way to treat your loyal customers. While we are stuck with maps that are a over a year old with no update in sight. The Diamonds been hacked and the pirates are enjoying their free upgrade to TTN7.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, this is almost laughable. BUT, the pirated version isn't worth bothering with, it needs a lot of twiddling to work AND you'd still be stuck with v6 maps.

TomTom have been very foolish with this decision and it does nothing to reward loyal and honest customers of their PPC product platforms.
TheBrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Indeed, this is almost laughable. BUT, the pirated version isn't worth bothering with, it needs a lot of twiddling to work AND you'd still be stuck with v6 maps.
This might not be true. Over at XDA-Developers people seem to be having some success.
Darren wrote:
TomTom have been very foolish with this decision and it does nothing to reward loyal and honest customers of their PPC product platforms.
I certainly agree with this.

HTC Desire HD - Sygic
gav28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Darren wrote:
TomTom have been very foolish with this decision and it does nothing to reward loyal and honest customers of their PPC product platforms

Indeed, I used to be a customer, no more though Evil or Very Mad I have moved over to Garmin XT, what a great product :-)

Gavin
divadiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBrit wrote:
Darren wrote:
This might not be true. Over at XDA-Developers people seem to be having some success.
Darren wrote:
I certainly agree with this.

I have seen western europe 710 working with the HTC TT7.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been reports on the internet of various maps working including the latest version 720, the big issue is how to legally obtain the actual TT Navigator 7 software, if people purchase a map from TomTom I see nothing wrong other than they can expect no support from TomTom due to the software being installed to a non approved device.

I have asked for clarification from TomTom on this issue, but as yet no replies, if you cannot get the software from TomTom for this to work I cannot see how anyone can own this setup legally and expect support - map purchased or not - Mike
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is that even if TomTom do decide to release this version customers will be purchasing an out of date product. TT7 does run map versions 7.20 but latest maps are now 8.x.

Lets hope that TT7 that is shipping with the HTC Diamond is aimed as a free product as you are allowed one free city map download, maybe its designed as test product and a product to compete with Nokia maps.

What would make more sense is if TT8 is released and this supports the 8x maps, we also have to remember that TT7 was probably released to HTC some six months ago.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that the version of TomTom v7 floating around works on most HTC devices. I tried it on my O2 Orbit and it allowed me to download a local map from TomTom.

App version 7.450 (9028)

Map 'Dover' v715.1732

It all appeared to work perfectly. I have now gone back to v6 as I need all the UK.

It has always been said that the software is free and they only charge for the maps. I couldn't pluck up courage to buy the V7 map as I am only 99% certain that it will work and anyway I have no wish to be seen as a pirate!

I wouldn't "pirate" the map although it is tempting!
gekko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
The sad thing is that even if TomTom do decide to release this version customers will be purchasing an out of date product. TT7 does run map versions 7.20 but latest maps are now 8.x.

Hardly.
The latest maps in the 8 series are 8.05.
The latest maps in the 7 series are 7.20.

They are all based on the same TeleAtlas data (2008.01). The only difference is that the 8 series maps support the new IQ Routes and Advanced Lane Guidance. The map data is otherwise identical. As the TTN7 does not support these two new features, it doesn't really matter if it is map series 7 or 8.
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

This is not true for the HTC Artemis (aka O2 orbit) the pirated version installs without problems and offers to download a local map from TomTom. This it also does without problems.

I also don't think you are stuck with v6 maps. I suspect a purchased V7 would work.

I suspect that the "pirated" V7 software was designed to work with all recent HTC devices. People are having problems because they are trying to install the software on non HTC devices.

I am thinking of BUYING the V7 map and using it with the dodgy TomTom Navigator V7 software. Does this make me a pirate?

As I said in an earlier post. TomTom software has generally been thought of as free. It's only the maps you buy.

TomTom can have £30 from me for a V7 UK map or I find another package that will run on a PDA platform.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotch_whisky wrote:
It would appear that the version of TomTom v7 floating around works on most HTC devices. I tried it on my O2 Orbit and it allowed me to download a local map from TomTom.

App version 7.450 (9028)

Map 'Dover' v715.1732

It all appeared to work perfectly. I have now gone back to v6 as I need all the UK.

It has always been said that the software is free and they only charge for the maps. I couldn't pluck up courage to buy the V7 map as I am only 99% certain that it will work and anyway I have no wish to be seen as a pirate!

I wouldn't "pirate" the map although it is tempting!

If your v6 UK is a legal copy surely you can continue to use this with TT7, I haven't tried it but in the past application software has been backwardly compatible.
divadiow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are quite a few success stories of it working on non HTC and older windows mobile versions. There's also a modified version that has the resolution fixed for QVGA screens.

If still a grey area, it's quite interesting to see what can and is being done with the HTC TT7.
spangelsaregreat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I can confirm that a newly purchased 720 map from Tom Tom works on an Artemis device with TT7.

I did post a thread on this but it got deleted by the mods.

However, this now seems open to discussion going by the threads above so I will post this now (mods feel free to delete this reply if it is deemed inappropriate).

Regards
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spangelsaregreat wrote:
Hi,

I can confirm that a newly purchased 720 map from Tom Tom works on an Artemis device with TT7.

I did post a thread on this but it got deleted by the mods.

However, this now seems open to discussion going by the threads above so I will post this now (mods feel free to delete this reply if it is deemed inappropriate).

Regards

Just purchased the 720 map myself and it works perfectly on the Artemis.

In response to another post - Yes V6 maps work as well but I didn't see much point in upgrading to V7 software without the new maps.

The mods can delete me as well if they like but I don't think I have done much wrong and TomTom are richer!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we "delete" you when you are running an application that is free with a correctly paid for map, as has been said this is a grey area in terms of the application; but if TomTom have accepted your payment and activated the map you purchased then there is nothing wrong at all IMHO.

The Artemis is a decent device although I would check what applications and software can be moved to the storage card as the in built memory isn't too hot - if HTC had launched the Atermis with 192MB of RAM there wouldn't have been a need for the Diamond other than for the VGA screen - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: