Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ARKON Mounts - Friction base and others reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ARKON Mounts - Friction base and others reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Akron friction mount with my GO920 this week and I've had a couple of issues with it when using TMC connection. The mount is not perfect when trying to connect the TMC at the bottom of the PND. I think Akron could re-visit the bracket arrangement and make some improvements.
Has anyone else tried there's yet ?

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the issue exactly?
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
The problem is that the TMC antenna sticks out quite a long way below the base of the GO920 so I need to pull the base clear of the dash to prevent it fouling on the dash. I've mailed you some photos for illustration.

Gav

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received your images:

Yes I see the problem you have. On my car the dash is sloped down sharply which gives the mount enough clearance.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickie64 wrote:
I've been using the Akron friction mount with my GO920 this week and I've had a couple of issues with it when using TMC connection. The mount is not perfect when trying to connect the TMC at the bottom of the PND. I think Akron could re-visit the bracket arrangement and make some improvements.
Has anyone else tried there's yet ?

Gav

Yes Brickie 64 I got one as well but I do not have a TMC unit !!!
I let a friend borrow it to see how he got on with it !! he was impressed and said thats just what he had been looking for and he ordered one as well !!
The only criticism I would use is it has no tilt adjustment just side to side adjustment but to be honest its not a big issue
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll raise these issues with Arkon and see what they say.
spdgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else able to post pix of the non slip mount in use?

TIA,

Si.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren,
Any word back from Arkon about the friction mount issues earlier ?

I 've had chance to use it in a couple of other vehicles with different dash arrangements and it seems the TMC is generally a problem unless you can pull the Satnav close enough to you that it misses the dash.

Overall, I think it's pretty useful but perhaps a couple of other comments good/bad.

The PND is much closer to the driver so easier to reach when driving, this is generally much better than window mounted option. Smile

It's a lot easier to hide the PND if you stop for a quick break. Smile

The supplied suction mount has good adhesion. Smile

You can't get the mat to slide off the dash no matter how fast you corner Very Happy

The Mount bracket is definitely too short and needs two adjusters ("tilt" just behind the PND rather than "pan") to give a better range of height adjustment. In fact there do look to be other Arkon brackets in their catalogue which would be more suitable for this application even if they needed a little modification. Crying or Very sad

The mat is just too large to fit in the tray in the middle of my dash on my Golf MK5 so it has to squeeze in the gap on the right side of the screen, and it doesn't really fit there without turning it to face the door. Crying or Very sad

Shame the mat base design isn't a little more flexible, like the Garmin offering.

Hopefully Arkon will revise the bracket design so it's more appropraite for the GO series devices.

Cheers

Gav Very Happy

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chase them up. The friction base is available on its own and Arkon have many other mounts so perhaps they could substitute a different one.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the product catalogue (can be downloaded from their web site).
I would say that the CM019-7PS-2 mount might be suitable if the pan adjuster can be inverted and the bracket is suitable for a GO series adapter plate.
May be better if they use this with the "robust short base".

Gav

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comBack in July we reviewed a selection of models from Arkon's range of new mounts including their new friction base mount solution. We particularly liked the friction base and windscreen mount options but Arkon have a huge range of solutions and there is almost certainly one to fit every possible eventuality!

All the new mounts share a common mounting system that uses a custom adapter plate to mate the satnav with the mount.

Arkon have now added support for TomTom's EasyPort equipped models, Mio's Moov 200 and 300 models as well as Navman S-Series unit to the supported device list with mounting bundles and dedicated adapter plates to suit the new additions. Arkon are the first mount manufacturer I'm aware of that have a solution for the EasyPort devices.

Should we ever get any sun there is even a clip that mounts to your sunvisor, a nice covert location if only we had some sun to justify it!

You can read our original review of Arkon's mounts here.
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Continuing my search for a universal mount, I wonder if the SM316 : Universal Mini Adhesive Dashboard, Desktop, or Console Mount would screw onto a Brodit mount, so I would get the solidity of Brodit and the flexibility of Arkon Smile

Cheers,

Greg
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregh wrote:
Continuing my search for a universal mount, I wonder if the SM316 : Universal Mini Adhesive Dashboard, Desktop, or Console Mount would screw onto a Brodit mount, so I would get the solidity of Brodit and the flexibility of Arkon Smile

Can't see why not?

Thought it would be easier to buy that cradle sans 'foot' and get Brodit's Arkon adapter which mates with the two claw fixing on the Arkon?
gregh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
gregh wrote:

Can't see why not?

Thought it would be easier to buy that cradle sans 'foot' and get Brodit's Arkon adapter which mates with the two claw fixing on the Arkon?

I like the sound of that Smile

So did you mean this - http://www.brodit.com/?main=productinformation.jsp&anr=215199

but then combined with what? I find it hard to see just a universal Arkon mount standalone on any UK websites!!

So
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregh wrote:
So did you mean this - http://www.brodit.com/?main=productinformation.jsp&anr=215199

That's the fella
Quote:
but then combined with what? I find it hard to see just a universal Arkon mount standalone on any UK websites!!

You're right of course, Arkon don't sell the cradle on its own but they're pretty inexpensive so not a big issue if you junk the supplied stalk and use the Brodit adapter?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: