Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stampy72 wrote:
Anybody got any ideas when TomTom are going to release the V8 software for the TT One V2??

Am running the x20 software and the latest maps (v7.20??) on a spare card on my TT, and it works fine...

The crystal ball isn't working! Seriously though, the first we hear of it is if a member spots it has become available or TomTom inform us through the PR channel. Invariable it's the former that comes first, we rarely get any pre-warning and don't have any inside info on this.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since updating to Navcore 8.010 on the OneXL, I have now been able to download the TTS voices via Home. Now that I've got 40Mb plus in the Kate and Simon folders and a couple of small tlv files in the voices folder, how am I supposed to select them?

I suspect there's a small file needed elsewhere or maybe I shouldn't have been able to download them at all (thinking it may be part of the problem with TTS voices on the x20s). Confused

Remember that TT offered these as downloads via Home so I am taking this as a legal download.
Brodit ProClip mount
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry, the One XL for USA (which does use the TTS voices) has a different application which TomTom Home would install, it does seem bizzare that you have been offered these voices though - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a TT goof then, the ONE and ONE XL are not supposed to have TTS (except some US models).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else thinking that we should 'keep it down' about the v8 maps on the x20's?
The more we shout about it, the more likely TT are to notice and do something to stop it!
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 8.05 maps (UK&I) work on a 520 Wink
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Anyone else thinking that we should 'keep it down' about the v8 maps on the x20's?
The more we shout about it, the more likely TT are to notice and do something to stop it!

I glad see someone else is a little wiser than most! Not Worthy
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

I glad see someone else is a little wiser than most! Not Worthy

But Andy's reason is the opposite to yours. You want it kept quiet so people don't install the maps on x20 devices, whereas his concern is that if it's brought to TomTom's attention they'll stop people doing it!

So only one of you is wise!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

Bit late I am afraid

http://www.expansys-usa.com/ft.aspx?k=110250&page=1

http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12133

I wouldn't have posted if I hadn't already seen these and others on the Net.

Confused
pimplebrain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Wazza - you've lost me there -

If you want to do it fine, but it should be kept firmly under wraps until such time that more checks & tests have been done on other TTG's to ensure that other people don't unnecessarily end up with very expensive bricks or waste their hard earned cash.

How will people know what to test if they're not told about it? Is there some sort of secret society that only a few privileged souls are allowed to join, or do we use telepathy? Confused

I just assumed that the folks on here would have enough common sense to realise that dabbling in the occult art of beating the system may have it's own drawbacks. I'm sorry if you feel my posts should come with a notice such as:

WARNING - SOME MODIFICATIONS CONTAINED IN THS MESSAGE MAY BE DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR TOMTOM!

That better?

Andy_P

I do understand where you are coming from - but, as has been explained, the information is already out there in the big wide web, but I hadn't noticed anywhere on this site where it had been mentioned. I have used legitimate upgrades/downloads, so I personally have no problems using what is freely available to everyone.

Pimple
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just don't get it do you?

If you go blabbing about it, then TomTom (or any other company for that fact) will more likely take action to prevent everyone taking advantage of it, as they will be losing money out of it & in TomToms' case namely loss of sales of the 530/730/930 series because people will just upgrade the software instead of buying new.

It peoples stupidity that's their & everyone else's undoing, giving companies all the ammunition to screw us the consumer for every damned cent/penny that they can.

So you keep it quiet and do things by stealth and by the time that (Tom Tom in this case) or any other company realise it, it's too late.
pimplebrain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reply Wazza!

I see you have done a complete U-turn. Rolling Eyes

First of all it was the "don't try this at home in case you stuff up" tact, now it's "yep, try this at home but don't tell anyone".

Make up your mind - which one is it?

Pimple

Last edited by pimplebrain on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Musketter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:

It peoples stupidity that's their & everyone else's undoing, giving companies all the ammunition to screw us the consumer for every damned cent/penny that they can.

Like TomTom need a reason to try and screw us, just try their customer service and you will find they already are, or are you saying we shouldn't contact them as well ?
bensonboo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wazza_G wrote:
What would you have done if you'd bought the v.8 maps and found that they didn't work with the 720 or the screwed the 720 up!
That would have been £60 or more down the tube!

Wazza_G wrote:
If you go blabbing about it, then TomTom (or any other company for that fact) will more likely take action to prevent everyone taking advantage of it, as they will be losing money out of it & in TomToms' case namely loss of sales of the 530/730/930 series because people will just upgrade the software instead of buying new.
So you keep it quiet and do things by stealth and by the time that (Tom Tom in this case) or any other company realise it, it's too late.

I take it from your first post on the subject that you hadn't tried it? So you're saying that now you have the information required to upgrade with the knowledge it does indeed work, you don't want anyone else having that knowledge incase Tom tom do something about it.
Seems unfair to me.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before this gets out of hand, I think what everyone is trying to say is maybe there SHOULD be a warning given to the less experienced folk, that TT will disapprove of this....
So:
a} they won't help if something goes wrong, and
b} they are likely to close the loophole soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 24 of 34

Jump to: