Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS Tracking Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS Tracking Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ImposeR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: GPS Tracking Software Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have searched high and low but cannot seem to find the software I am looking for. Basically I have a Bluetooth receiver (Holux GPSlim 236), and I want to be able to track its movement and log this onto either a Pocket PC or a laptop. The idea is to calculate movement, and distance covered during a football match.

Yes I know I can purchase a datalogger to do this, but I already have the hardware, and I'm sure it can be done. Some of the software I have come across is GPRS based in that your bluetooth receiver will transmit to your phone which will then upload the data, I need this same functionality, but without the upload, and an export facility.

Thanks all.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about a logging GPS receiver as playing a game of football carrying a laptop or PDA is simply not practical, the Bluetooth device will certainly not have the range required to maintain comms over the distance presented by a full size pitch - about 25 feet range if you are lucky with a 236
There is plenty of software that can record the data from the GPS device for both PDA and PC, this can be converted to work with Google Earth to visulise what you have been doing, but a GPS Logger would be a better solution to the problem IMHO - Mike
ImposeR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud. I think some clarification is required. Firstly, the pitch in question is a five-a-side pitch, hence the 236 is more than sufficient. (I have also tested the 236 on a full size pitch with a laptop with an attached external antenna and the covereage is pretty complete). The bluetooth device would sit in the players pocket, and the laptop/PDA would be on the sidelines simply tracking the movement and logging it. Most likely I would use two 236's for a more accurate estimate. Hope that clears things up a bit.

You mention that there is plenty of software that can do this, any in particular?

Thanks again.
ImposeR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone please?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always google for something.

How about this piece of s/w .

I've never tried it - but it works on a PPC, does what you want and is free.

Of course - depending on your location and time etc - your GPS positional error may well be a significant proportion of your 5-a-side pitch. If it's indoors then you may expect 10 - 15mtrs of error - and it's not guaranteed to be consistent (esp over the duration of a match).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: