Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Map Share to block or unblock a road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Map Share to block or unblock a road
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But we're all agreed that I was wrong (a bit) and so was Shad (a bit)? Very Happy
You've got to be kidding us?

Shad was definitely NOT wrong - alas, that's the way it is on App 8.002 (9117/080328) os:164445. Revert back to 8.002 and you'll find the truth of the matter, rest assured.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, I'm treading ever so gently here, as I'm not sure who's saying what about whom Laughing

But all I really meant was, the old adage about, "What's on Page 1" is all that gets reported (CORRECTION EDIT - menat to say fixed there and then, not reported), is still pretty much true in the sense that whilst NC8 brings new correction tools, these new additions are now ON page 1 still.

Anita is right however, that there are the Edit POI corrections, but this has always been the case, even with NC7, and as such, if you count them, it makes the old adage false even under NC7.

I just meant it in the sense that whilst NC8 brings NEW tools, these have been included on Page 1 anyway.

Confusing? Just a bit - but let me say the follow up posts have gave me a good old chuckle tonight - after a rough 12 hour twin shift today, a bit of light humour was good medicine, so thanks all.

I hope YOU lot are happy with whatever it is you decided on being right Laughing

I'm more than happy to be wrong here, if it helps... Very Happy
------
Minor error EDIT as above in bold.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:

I have successfully blocked off the junction by using the Corrections feature to prevent both left and right turns

Yes, you are right that this is the "correct" way to handle where a road has been blocked off at one end by bollards or a gate etc. rather than using the "block road" function.

The problem was that the "cannot turn left onto" and "cannot turn right onto" corrections were not implemented in v7 software (they were merely reported). V8 software has solved that.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a junction has been blocked (on Tomtom) by preventing all of the turns into and out of a street (as described above), is this in any way visible in normal operation, or when browsing the map? I worry that there might be junctions and turns that are wrongly blocked that I am unaware of.

To change the topic slightly, I am currently spending a few weeks in a small medieval town in france, which has several pedestrianised roads, a tortuous one-way system, and a one way ring-road that collectively make navigation into and out of the town "interesting".

I found that the V8.05 maps were sending me the wrong way down one way streets, and making (apparently) stupid route choices. So I just spent a couple of evenings walking every street in the town, correcting every one-way street, every blocked street and junction.

I had to add about 10 one way streets, block about 15 streets (most of which are obviously private and gated), unblock the main square in the middle of the town (which is actually NOT pedestrianised).

It is a pity that no-one else will ever use most of these corrections, as no one else is going to be silly enough to enter them all.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:
When a junction has been blocked (on Tomtom) by preventing all of the turns into and out of a street (as described above), is this in any way visible in normal operation, or when browsing the map? I worry that there might be junctions and turns that are wrongly blocked that I am unaware of.

Not that I know of.
In fact I often find there are illegal turns even on on major junctions which the TT actually allows, but you can only find this out by setting up a demo route across the junction to see if it will go the wrong way.

JaguarV12e wrote:
To change the topic slightly...
It is a pity that no-one else will ever use most of these corrections, as no one else is going to be silly enough to enter them all.

I thought that if you had the latest v8 maps and software, then "cannot turn left/right" corrections ARE included in what gets shared via MapShare. So your work won't be wasted....
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
JaguarV12e wrote:

I thought that if you had the latest v8 maps and software, then "cannot turn left/right" corrections ARE included in what gets shared via MapShare. So your work won't be wasted....

What I meant was that (as I understand it) the corrections are not made available to others until they are repeated by some other user(s).

At least I know that I can be confident that I can get accross town without being sent the wrong way down a one way street.

It is annoying that you can't set an arbitrary correction point on a street. There is a street near here that becomes one way part way along its length. There are also a couple of streets that are blocked in the middle but open at both ends.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarV12e wrote:

What I meant was that (as I understand it) the corrections are not made available to others until they are repeated by some other user(s).

Ah I see what you mean...
TT have always been very cagey about what there various correction "trust" settings ('reported by some', 'reported by many' etc.) actually mean.
They permanently shut the A40 coming into London once on the strength of one dodgy traffic report from the BBC!

So it would be interesting if you can give us a couple of examples of the corrections you made, and we can see if they do appear via MapShare over the next few weeks....
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked some corrections that I made on Friday (by un selecting "corrections I made myself"), and interestingly, some of them appear to be already available. The corrections which make a road less restricted (changing blocked to one-way, or one-way to two-way) seem to be available, but the corrections that make a road more restricted (blocking or changing two-way to one-way) do not seem to be there. The turn restrictions are not there.

If you want to see the corrections, they are in Beaune, France. For example, Petite Place Carnot was blocked and I made it one-way, Avenue De La Republique (at its eastern end where it passes Rue D'enfer) was one way and I made it two-way. But the blocking of turns between Avenue De La Republique and Rue D'enfer has not happened. Also the changing of part of Rue De L'hotel-Dieu from two way to one way has not happened yet.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I don't have v8 maps, I can't give a very good answer (MapShare corrections are annoyingly not shared between different map versions).

But having just downloaded the latest corrections to my v7.20 mapping, Petite Place Carnot IS one way on my map now, but Avenue De La Republique (where it passes Rue D'enfer) was still one way. I've corrected it to be two way now and shared it, so I hope you're right!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: