Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 910 and spoken camera warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

910 and spoken camera warnings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Spoken camera warnings Reply with quote

jelugs wrote:

What I would like to know from you experts out there.....is it possible to have that warning bell in front of the speech, that is to say the warning would be:- the Bell followed by the speed camera spoken warning?

Not directly via the menus, but that is exactly what I have on my 720, using the UK "Simon" text to speech voice.

You have to record the computer voice warnings to PC and edit your own bell/chime etc on the front, then load them as audio files.
It just so happens that the three versions I made have just been added to the Voice Warnings Collection page (see third one down)
They also include warnings for the "pMobile" files that are missing on many of the other sets.

If you use the same voice on your 720 they match perfectly, but unfortunately are always slightly quieter than the navigation instructions. Until TomTom give us some independent volume controls for the different sources, there isn't much that can be done about this.
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Spoken camera warnings Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Thank you so much for your prompt and informative reply. I will download those and follow the instructions and see how I get on, certainly listening to the sample its just what I want.

Many thanks to you and all those who prepared the info.

Best Wishes

Eric
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Spoken camera warnings Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

You are a genius!!!! Many thanks again for the info.........I have successfully installed the voices and "boing" bell as I wanted. I have used the set called "Computer Voice" which I realise doesn't have the p mobile but it has the familiar boing and voice as before. Which set could I pinch the P Mobile voice from.......... and what is a P Mobile as opposed to a mobile?

Very Many Thanks

Eric
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Spoken camera warnings Reply with quote

jelugs wrote:
Which set could I pinch the P Mobile voice from.......... and what is a P Mobile as opposed to a mobile?
This Topic should answer both of your questions. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Spoken Camera Warnings Reply with quote

Hi,

Having previously succeeded in getting the warnings exactly as I wanted, see my previous posts, I have now purchased a TomTom 730, will the procedures and downloads etc that you go through on the 720 work with the 730??

Many Thanks

Eric
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly the same.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Spoken Speed camera warnings Reply with quote

Hi,

Once again a big thank you for that info. will give that a try and hopefully get back to the same set up.

Best Wishes to all you helpful guys

Eric
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Spoken camera Warnings Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tried to set up my 730 as previously discussed but so far no luck!

I have installed the latest camera database into the Western Europe Map folder, then downloaded the voices i.e. Computer "bing boing" chime and placed them in the same folder as the camera poi's. However when I go to Change preferences/Manage POI/Warn when near POI, I am not getting up the "Select" menu after selecting the camera, distance etc. All I seem to be getting is a choice of 8 sounds starting with Airplane, Camera,Flash, Horn etc.??

Have I missed something!!

Any help would be appreciated

Best Wishes

Eric
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Spoken Camera Warnings Reply with quote

Hi,

Bit more info from my previous post.... I can get to the "Select" menu screen now and choose "Sound Effect" but then only get the choice of airplane,camera,flash,horn etc ??

Hope this helps to find my problem

Best wishes and continuing thanks

Eric
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect to PC and browse the Go's internal memory with Windows Explorer.
Look INSIDE the named map folder and you should see all the camera and voice files (if they aren't all there then that's a simple answer to the problem!).
Check that you have Explorer set to show the three letter extensions to all files (in Windows XP this is: 'Tools' menu/ 'Folder options' / 'View' tab and UN-TICK "Hide extensions for known file types)

Now check the names all match in sets, so for example (assuming you are using the full speed-zoned version of the database) you should have
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.bmp - the icon
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ogg - the sound file
pocketgps_uk_gatso_20.ov2 - the data file

etc, etc, for all the other speeds/types.

If all else fails and you still can't get it to work, on your version of software you can use "plan B" instead; which is to put all the .ogg files into the "sounds" folder you should find on the Go.

They will then all show up on the normal sound effects page and can be previewed and selected in the normal way.

The only problem with this method is that unless you edit the names (which you can if you want, with this method) it's hard to see which one you are selecting, because the PGPSW naming convention puts their name at the front and the important bit that changes i.e .the speed and camera type at the end.
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Spoken Camera Warnings Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Well I did what you mentioned in the first part of your reply and all the .ogg files were where they should be!

What I did next may interest you ( or confuse you! )... I had done a complete back up of my 720 before it was disposed of ( it was faulty) so I decided to use the .ogg files from the back up and put them into the map folder of the new 730. I got the usual message about " do you want to replace the file" etc ... I said yes ( but it was identical ). Then tried out the TomTom 730 and it all worked fine with the Gatso's and Mobiles but not with Specs and Red light... so I did another download of just those .ogg files and popped them into the map folder ( obviously alongside the ov2 and bmp ) and again I got the message... "Do you want to replace the file etc"... again I said Yes but the file was identical as before! However the upshot of it all is that it all works!!!

I am not sure why, as the files certainly all seemed to be in the right place and the correct files at that. It may help someone else what has happened to me.... or it may confuse them!! I'd love to know why..... but lets say with it all working.... leave it at that.

Many thanks to all

Erric
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizarre!!

...but as it's working OK now, can we agree not to think too hard about it anymore? Laughing
jelugs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Spoken camera warnings Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I think you are 100% right......lets not think about it!!

Really appreciate you getting involved.....Thanks again

Regards

Eric

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: