Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

The update is 370Mb in size

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

That's ridiculous - sounds like a complete replacement for the software rather than just a collection of patches. How on earth are people who are not yet on broadband - let alone actually possess a PC - supposed to deal with that?

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that Map updates for Europe will be roughly 2Gb in size.

Without really knowing fully what the update fixes it's hard to comment on its size. If a lot of it is for the View 3D then maybe that is why. But I'm just guessing Wink

I agree, what about people not on broadband?, but when the map updates will be delivered in the same way Navigon will assume that people will be prepared to do large downloads.

It's just the way most things are going. Rolling Eyes
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the device have enough internal memory for the software and maps or does it all go on SD card?

enjoy the weekend john and do some driving around to test it Twisted Evil
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_ah1 wrote:
Does the device have enough internal memory for the software and maps or does it all go on SD card?

Not sure to be honest, I think the software and maps are all on the SD card. Have stuck an 8Gb SDHC card in so space isn't really an issue ;) I wanted plenty of extra space for MP3's

Not going to be able to try it out much this weekend as lots of parties happening ;)

Not sure if it's my imagination or not but scrolling around on the 2D map seems quicker with the new software? Have no way of verifying that though.
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
chris_ah1 wrote:

Not sure to be honest, I think the software and maps are all on the SD card. Have stuck an 8Gb SDHC card in so space isn't really an issue ;) I wanted plenty of extra space for MP3's

Not going to be able to try it out much this weekend as lots of parties happening ;)

Not sure if it's my imagination or not but scrolling around on the 2D map seems quicker with the new software? Have no way of verifying that though.

ty. Not to mention SDHC is now up to 32GB. That used to be an old ipod.
Since you seem to be into having it as a media player do you use the onboard speakers or line out for music?

oohhheerrrr - better not get the gps with the breathalyzer function (and robotic arms to take away your keys).
Thogers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: 7.0.7 update Reply with quote

[quote="DaveMatthews"]

Quote:
That's ridiculous - sounds like a complete replacement for the software

I don't know if they had to replace the complete software, but according to the danish site "Nav-User.com" mentioned earlier in the posts for 8110, the following are the main elements included in the 7.0.7 firmware udate:

PanoramaView 3D:
Fixed: Screen freeze
Fixed: Tunnel problems (freeze, zoom levels, etc)
Fixed: Screen error in map view

Voice Recognition:
Improved: Voice Recognition
Improved: Stability when giving a speech command

Hands Free:
Fixed: Volume adjustment not possible using buttons

Misc:
Fixed: Wrong battery icon under certain conditions
Fixed: Slow save with standard settings
Improved: Text-To-Speech sound volume
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 7.0.7 update Reply with quote

[quote="Thogers"]
DaveMatthews wrote:

Quote:
That's ridiculous - sounds like a complete replacement for the software

I don't know if they had to replace the complete software, but according to the danish site "Nav-User.com" mentioned earlier in the posts for 8110, the following are the main elements included in the 7.0.7 firmware udate:

PanoramaView 3D:
Fixed: Screen freeze
Fixed: Tunnel problems (freeze, zoom levels, etc)
Fixed: Screen error in map view

Voice Recognition:
Improved: Voice Recognition
Improved: Stability when giving a speech command

Hands Free:
Fixed: Volume adjustment not possible using buttons

Misc:
Fixed: Wrong battery icon under certain conditions
Fixed: Slow save with standard settings
Improved: Text-To-Speech sound volume

I had thought the Voice Recognition was better, but wasn't too sure.

The TTS doesn't seem to pause between the command and the Street name, before it was 'Turn right onto..... Smith Street' now it does seem more like 'turn right, onto Smith Street'

It's not listed here, but on another forum they hinted that the Satellite fixes were much quicker and TMC reception improved (may not apply in the UK).
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI The UK pages now list the 8110 and the 2110 Max is available to buy from the UK shop.

I'd expect to see the 8110 in the UK shop next week?

Can't tell what is new, but more countries seem to be listed on the main homepage?
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I too have plumped for a Navigon 8110 after years of using my trusty 2210 with Tom Tom Navigator, unfortunately I have to wait 3 weeks for it. My decision was made considerably easier thanks to Jonandmarkuk excellent pics and vids, the nice discount, and the discussion within this thread. Thank you all.

Obviously a nice part of Sat Nav is the ability to handle the speed camera database, so I was interested in the news about POI-Warner, as a previously registered customer I wrote to them to enquire when it might be available for MN7. This is the reply I got:

Dear Mr X,

Unfortunately POI-Warner will not be compatible with the first release of MN7. We are hoping to offer a functioning POI-Warner for later versions though. If you would like to use POI-Warner with MN7, please contact the Navigon support stating your wish as this is likely to speed up the process.

Regards/Cordialement/Yn ddiffuant/Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

..~U. Waller~.
Support Team / Public Relations

It would seem our course of action is clear, at least if you want POI-Warner on the 8110: Bug the hell out of Navigon Support!!
Twisted Evil

Anyway hope this was of use and thanks again. Good day.

AR
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud.... Wonder why bugging Navigon would speed up development of a 3rd party product?

Unless Navigon haven't released the v7 software for external testing or something.

I'm interested to see if anything other than maps will eventually appear in the 'my content' in Navigon Fresh Very Happy
alienrider
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that POI-Warner requires an API to MN7 to hook into and use the GPS data that MN7 collects.

It is therefore entirely possible that though MN7 is out, the corresponding API is not or Navigon are keeping it closed for the time being, as you say for testing or some other reason.

One hopes that whatever is required is resolved soon, or at least some functionality that allows the use of the PGPSW database is available, as though I could still use my ipaq for that, it would be so much cleaner to use just one device.

EZ

A R
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienrider wrote:
I suspect that POI-Warner requires an API to MN7 to hook into and use the GPS data that MN7 collects.

It is therefore entirely possible that though MN7 is out, the corresponding API is not or Navigon are keeping it closed for the time being, as you say for testing or some other reason.

One hopes that whatever is required is resolved soon, or at least some functionality that allows the use of the PGPSW database is available, as though I could still use my ipaq for that, it would be so much cleaner to use just one device.

EZ

A R

What was interesting is the last reply from Navigon when I asked about Poi I was pointed to a different website www.poicon.com which is all in German at the moment but doesn't show MN7 either. Yet digging deeper Poicon.com seems to be the same as poiwarner?

What gives??

I'd imagine we will get a version of Poiwarner or something as Navigon would be silly to allow all other previous versions of the software to use Poiwarner.

I can only assume that maybe MN7 is a very different from earlier versions of software or it would have been easy to port the version 6 one to version 7.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same response from navigon too - I told then I needed to be able to use Custom POIs
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Where are you getting your 8110's from I looked under the shop section of navigon/uk and it was not there.

Also does anyone know if the North America & Canada maps are available yet. I will be emigrating to Canada soon but the 8110 will not be released there until the end of this year according to Navigon USA

Cheers

Richard
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichDem wrote:
Hi Guys,

Where are you getting your 8110's from I looked under the shop section of navigon/uk and it was not there.

Also does anyone know if the North America & Canada maps are available yet. I will be emigrating to Canada soon but the 8110 will not be released there until the end of this year according to Navigon USA

Cheers

Richard

Select the International shop and then you will find it. The UK shop now shows the 2110 Max so I'd expect the 8110's to show in the UK shop soon too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24

Jump to: