Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using Map Share to block or unblock a road
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Map Share to block or unblock a road
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elton-77
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel42 wrote:
WHY WONT MAPSHARE WORK!!! Twisted Evil

I have just made 2 'corrections'
1 a 'no right turn' from North street clapham london into Wandsworth road london
2 a 'no right turn' from Rozel road clapham london into the wandsorth road london (by the way if you do a right turn its a £60 fine!!!)

I have the pref, ticked for corrections I made myself.

I then test out the corrections by planning a route and guess what....
TT wants to make a right turn in Rozel road!!!!

Any ideas would be welcome Confused

thanks

Having just sent 2 corrections also last week I am surprised they have yet to be included. Especially as my settings appear correctly set.

Using a 920 with latest maps, I concur the maps are way out of date for small towns etc. Since updating my corrections, the first being a blocked street (blocked by a railway line no less) and the second being an incorrect right of way (both have been like this for years), I wonder whether it's worth sending more if no action will be taken on them. My parents street that has been present from circa early 1920's and forms part of a major road is totally ignored that may explain why so many delivery people cannot find their house!

The whole point of Mapshare was to instigate rapid response to corrections - or so I thought - but it looks like a lost opportunity.

Sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having just sent 2 corrections also last week I am surprised they have yet to be included. Especially as my settings appear correctly set.

It depends what SORT of corrections you sent.
As has been pointed out, ONLY the corrections on the FIRST SCREEN of corrections will be corrected via Mapshare (ie will be shown on your device immediately and uploaded to share next time you connect to Home). All other corrections are merely REPORTED for possible inclusion in the next map they will try to sell you.

That means that the only corrections you can actually make are:
1. Define the direction of travel along a road - That covers both "(Un)block street" and "Reverse traffic direction"
2. Edit a POIs position or add a missing POI
3. Change the name of a road.

The corrections you quote from Nigel42 were both "Cannot turn left/right onto". These and all the others never get implemented on your existing map.

As you can see Map Share as it stands is pretty poor, and nothing like as good as they imply in the adverts. Hopefully a future version will be able to change more things (even just speed limits would be a big improvement - so we can correct more of their huge mistakes for them!)

Last edited by Andy_P on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a 920, and so far I have not signed up to Mapshare. I am wondering whether it would be worth it, I mean I have read this whole thread and it seems that villagers could block their villages out of spite. I also read another thread about I think it was the A40 that had been blocked when actually it wasn't at all.

What is the overall opinion, is it worth enabling. I might add that reluctantly I have put the TMC receiver back in the box after countless occasions where it told me I would be delayed for hours only to find no delay!

All replies welcome,

SDM197.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you should enable it and try it.
At any time you can decide whether you want to use the corrections you've downloaded or not. There are 5 or 6 categories (including your own corrections or ones only reported by "many" people). You can tick or un-tick as many as you like.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Quote:
"At any time you can decide whether you want to use the corrections you've downloaded or not."

How would you do that, and how if you wanted to would you get the map back to how it was without any mapshare alterations, would a back up of the unit before you connected mapshare be the only way?

Thanks in advance

SDM197
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
How would you do that, and how if you wanted to would you get the map back to how it was without any mapshare alterations, would a back up of the unit before you connected mapshare be the only way?
When connected to HOME there is an Option under Tools.

TomTom MapShare | Remove Corrections.

You can choose those that you made yourself and/or those you downloaded from others.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That removes them permanently...

But what I was thinking of when I wrote that was:
Main menu / Map Corrections / Correction preferences (on the TomTom itself).
That gives you a page of 6 "levels" of corrections to tick or untick, ranging from your own corrections to ones "verified" by TomTom.

By playing with those options, you can often tell if one of your own corrections has been "accepted" and has been sent back to you by MapShare.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdm197 wrote:
and how if you wanted to would you get the map back to how it was without any mapshare alterations, would a back up of the unit before you connected mapshare be the only way?

AndyP2002 wrote:
That removes them permanently...
Wink Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy and Oldboy,

Thanks so much for your replies that makes it a whole lot clearer.

SDM197
feejo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between block a street and reverse direction trafic? I mean I only see a triangle in ether one or another.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feejo wrote:
What is the difference between block a street and reverse direction trafic? I mean I only see a triangle in ether one or another.

(Un)Block a street is more versatile. You can set any combination with it. Reverse direction does exactly that. If the street is only blocked in one direction, it reversed the direction of traffic flow. If you try it on a road not blocked in one direction only, it offers other options.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In effect, they both do the same thing.
A cynic might say they put it in twice so it looks like MapShare can do more than it can.... Wink
captain_slocum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Can map share report right or left turns? Reply with quote

I have a GO720 with the latest maps and software.

When approaching Monmouth from the Newport direction (ie eastbound) on the A40, and trying to get onto the A466 (Wye Bridge) to go to Chepstow, you are not allowed to turn right, you have to go through the traffic lights, up to the roundabout and back to the lights on the opposite carriageway and turn left.

Theis has been in force for the 30 years I have lived here, yet TomTom tells you to turn right, which is not only illegal but lethal on this delimited road - there have been several very bad accidents here with vehicles trying to do just that.

QUESTION: Is it possible using Map Share to block the A466 when travelling eastbound but not when travelling westbound? In other words, is there a way to mark no right or left turns? I cannot find how if there is. And if there is not isn't this a pretty serious ommission?

I have told TomTom about this particular error by the way and only got a "standard" email so I guess they are going to go on allowing this dangerous manouvre (alright, I know we should all be looking at road signs, not our satnavs, but I still think it is dangerous).

Does the new map share software for the 730 allow this, and does any one know if it will be made availble for the 720?
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone tried going to the source and going to tele atlas's map insight page (http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com)? you can make recommendations directly to tele atlas instead of just fumbling with your tomtom. if the problem is glaring enough, you might be able to spark a change in the latest map update.
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can map share report right or left turns? Reply with quote

captain_slocum wrote:
I have a GO720 with the latest maps and software.

QUESTION: Is it possible using Map Share to block the A466 when travelling eastbound but not when travelling westbound? In other words, is there a way to mark no right or left turns?

Does the new map share software for the 730 allow this, and does any one know if it will be made availble for the 720?

V8.x software on the x30 does allow this. There is a similar blocked right turn near me that Teleatlas seem not to know about. I just blocked the turn on my 730, and checked that routes now go past the turn, up to the next mini-roundabout and back to make a left turn, which is what everyone does in practice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: