Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navcore 8 Upgrade for Older Devices Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one would have no reason to presume otherwise.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4VE wrote:
So it was withdrawn from x20 users because they dropped a clanger in releasing it to us too early and not because it was full of bugs.

Dave

Well, it did have a reference to ALG which caused x20 users to jam up Support with calls as to why it wasn't working when, in fact, you can't have ALG on maps below level 8, which x20 maps (officially) are not ... yet.

Plus, Itinerary Planning got disabled on TT Ones with this release.
scottwaltonuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I shall wait with baited breath
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote
Quote:
Well, it did have a reference to ALG which caused x20 users to jam up Support with calls as to why it wasn't working
Why??? The on-screen message
Quote:
The map or map version you are using is not compatible with Lane Guidance.
couldn't be much clearer.

Unless they were calling to ask for a map version that would work & TT has pulled it until ready to supply the version 8 maps at the same time.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't shoot the messenger ... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
drpps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to TMC this is from the TMC forum.

Quote:
With regards to the incorrect delays witnessed by many on TomTom, I have now received a response from TomTom.

"Since 5 June 2008 a new backward compatible software (version 8.010.9369) is available for download at TomTom Home for all ONE, ONE XL and GO devices.
ITIS customers are encouraged to download this new software and to test it.
Any new problems that are found can be reported to the TomTom Customer Support Desk."

Many thanks

Jon
ITIS Holdings PLC

Clear evidence that TT have known about the issues before and that V8 should cure it. Shame it has been removed temporarily.

I have just spotted that GPS_fan has posted this link elsewhere in the Go forum so sorry if I am repeating but it makes waiting for the re-release worth while.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they knew about it, we'd been screaming at them to fix it since they broke it as had all the other community sites. They just stuck their head in the sand and refused to acknowledge the issue much like the V1 TMC antenna debacle Rolling Eyes
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't shoot the messenger ...
Sorry, did it come over like that?? Embarassed I was refering to why all these people were calling support when the answer was on their devices. Nothing to do with you. Have aGuinness
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks. I’m one of those who missed the boat but I am quite happy to wait for the inevitable software update for the 720.

By the way, I don’t want to be a Party Pooper but I don’t understand all the fuss about the compass on the Go. Seriously, I cant think what one would need the compass for. Surely the device is for finding one’s way from A to B and the software does that job admirably.
Can someone explain please.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
malarcy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi Folks. I’m one of those who missed the boat but I am quite happy to wait for the inevitable software update for the 720.

By the way, I don’t want to be a Party Pooper but I don’t understand all the fuss about the compass on the Go. Seriously, I cant think what one would need the compass for. Surely the device is for finding one’s way from A to B and the software does that job admirably.
Can someone explain please.

Me personally, I use the compass to help out when the gps is "thinking", let me explain - sometimes I know "the place I want is "left" off the motorway" or turn off at junction x and head north.....- in a number of cases the newer junctions were either missed on the maps or guessed at based on where things were going to go - so sometimes tomtom thinks I am in a field, and with the junctions crossing under and over each other - I am not always 100% sure which way I am facing to make an intelligent guess.

So - I have the compass turned on, and sometimes it's useful as above.

Would I base a decision to buy around compass or not - no, would I rather have it than the ability to turn the arrow into the starship enterprise yes - and, if it was there already, why waste programming cycles making it worse than it was.

Sometimes it seems that tomtom seem surprised at us for finding uses for things they include in their software.

others may use it for something clever or never use it at all.

For me when the update comes for the 910 - it will be something I don't have anymore.

Malarcy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malarcy wrote:
Me personally, I use the compass to help out when the gps is "thinking"

Is the simple pointer not sufficient for this?
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the speed limit correction utility in v8.010 really such a great idea?

At best, this is a fiddly process even when trying to use a stylus instead of large fingers with roads accidentally being selected whilst trying to scroll the map across the screen.

At worst, this is leaving users open to the probability of downloading incorrect or inaccurate data submitted by other users.

Trying to de-select roads on roundabouts is nigh on impossible and takes incredible dexterity and patience. Additionally, the selection tool in most cases only allows the user to select a road between junctions, so correctly placing a speed limit change near the sign is not always possible.

Having spent some considerable time painstakingly correcting and adding speed limits, my GO720 then randomly selected which of these new speed limits it would use, whilst reverting back to original data whenever it chooses.

Initially, I thought it might have been MapShare downloading updates which have then overwritten some of my hard work, but there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to which speed limit corrections are 'stored' even without connecting the device to MapShare.
sdm197
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have upgraded my 920 with Navcore 8, out of curiousity what icon used to be where the controversial lane guidance icon is now?

All replies welcome,

SDM197.
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, they leave an abortion of a release online so everyone's x20's upgrade to 7.481 causing them no end of support calls and traffic grief. They fix most of the main problems with 7.481 in 8.010 but because of a preference that shouldn't be there, remove it. Incredible.

I’m one of those who missed the boat but I am quite happy to wait for the inevitable software update for the 720

I missed it too but then I just Googled the filename Rolling Eyes

So, running 8.010. Speech works fine, I haven't lost my favourites, my PGPSW speed cameras are still there and they still cuckoo when approaching them. However, I just extracted the .cab contents straight onto the 920. Maybe TTH does something more than that?

My 920 now shows delay times, something TT had previously said was down to the data provider. Unfortunately, none of the 5 incidents en route this morning appeared on the traffic indicator. I could see details for all 5 in the traffic option then a few minutes later it announced a re-route and new arrival time.

Compass, what a step backwards! I used the compass pointing to home a lot and it's got me out of trouble several times. I often decide the main roads are just too busy and take a scenic route home. Head off keeping the compass at right-angle to home until you hit a decent road then turn towards home trying to keep on main roads.

Nearly there Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobas wrote:
I just extracted the .cab contents straight onto the 920. Maybe TTH does something more than that?

Other than performing the download what you have done is the same as TomTom Home would have done - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 14 of 34

Jump to: