Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: McGuider Sat Nav software with Teleatlas mapping Reply with quote

Anyone tried the McGuider Sat Nav software by Teleatlas for PDA and Mobiles?

It's supposed to be similar to COPL7, but with Teleatlas mapping.

I believe Expansys are selling the complete European street level pack (includes UK & Ire) on a 2Gb micro SD card with adapter for around £40.

Any good?
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pity there have been no replies to this post as this software sounds good and is priced well.

Are there any plans for pocketgpsworld to offer speed camera downloads for it yet?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
Great pity there have been no replies to this post as this software sounds good and is priced well.

Are there any plans for pocketgpsworld to offer speed camera downloads for it yet?

does it accept custom poi's? what format does it need to be in? any link to the website?

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google, he say http://www.mcguider.com/en/product_info.html.
Incidentally, do you get this free with a McMuffin Very Happy
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha, it appears to be a rebranded sygic. mike alder reviewed this and at that time their poi installer could not handle anything with a negative longitude making it useless for 50% of uk pois!!

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sygic with Lane Assist, which should be quite handy as the application had a habbit of routing down "Lanes" Wink - Mike
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yes, didn't you get collared for suspected fly-tipping during the review period??!

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
oh yes, didn't you get collared for suspected fly-tipping during the review period??!

Yes I did, which is detailed in This write up, but anyone considering this application should be aware it is different to the one I tested last year and should (hopefully) be better.
It would be nice to try another PDA package as the Sygic application was great in terms of GUI (HMI) but poor custom POI support and the routing issues let it down.
I would like to see how this performs when offered the same destination from home as the one offered when the Police pulled me - Mike
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all, for your input. I knew that there would be someone in the forum that would have knowledge of this software.

Sorry to hear of your run in with the fuzz mike alder, hope you got out of it unscathed.

From the sounds of things maybe this one gets a miss.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lillyelse wrote:
Sorry to hear of your run in with the fuzz mike alder, hope you got out of it unscathed.

It was nothing to do with routing etc - Mike's car LOOKS like a flytipper and/or a scanner device on wheels - it is believed to actually hum and click with power sounds AND can "Fonehome" from absolutely anywhere in the universe. It jams entire radio stations as he drives from one air base to the next. That Antonov could swallow it without noticing, but they simply dare not give it a lift to anywhere.

As for MaFt's 50% POIs minus longitude - isn't minus to the left of Greenwich and isn't Greenwich to the right of almost everywhere in the UK? Even Hull?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've bitten the bullet and bought McGuider in spite of my PDA (Mio P350) not being on the compatibility list. However it is compatible and all looks impressive so far but not yet blooded it on a real journey so I'll report again on how it performs as regards routing.
lillyelse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: McGuider Reply with quote

Looking forward to reading your experiences.

When are you likely to try it out, mhb?
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it between home (mid Wales border) and B'ham airport. I was very impressed, particularly liked the lane information on the motorways. However it didn't seem to take account of the use of the hard shoulder when dedicated to use as an exit lane from the motorway but this is probably understandable.

I have been using a Garmin i3 until now and so I do need to get used to the surfeit of information displayed by McGuider. Also the absence of any form of manual (printed or online) is a nuisance.

The speed and accuracy of GPS information is a comparative joy compared to the i3 but has not come as a surprise as I'm used to using the PDA with it's Sirf chip for navigation as a hill walking aid using Memory Map. It's good know that the McGuider software seems up to making such effective use of the GPS input.

Although speed camera information is promised 'later in the summer', I find it's absence for now acceptable. In any event the road's speed limit is always on display, although here again it cannot and so doesn't take account of variable motorway limits.

At the airport I thought I'd been very clever in putting in the actual destination multi storey car park entrance as a 'map point' but McGuider took me in a queue of traffic through the short stay drop off area which turned out to be a pay area. Fortunately a friendly attendant came to my aid at the exit barrier and he let me through without paying, so all ended well. Not the fault of McGuider I guess, more a case of ongoing security and airport alteration works.

All in all though, very impressed. I'll see on monday how it performs from airport to home.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, here we go again. I thought I'd left this feature behind on the i3 unit but no, it happened with McGuider on my return from the airport. It routed me home by a totally different route to the one it chose to take me there. Why does this happen at all? It's seemingly across manufacturers.
jwf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not terribly impressed by the routing so far. This morning I asked for a route to the office, but as I didn't want to go the way it told me, I let it re-route me on the fly.

Now the thing does have a tendency not to route very intelligently when you diverge from it's originally planned route. All it seems to do is to re-route from where you currently are to get you back onto the original route ASAP. Rather than re-planning the route from where you are to your actual destination.

I found it quite amusing to watch this morning, as after I would ignore it's instruction, then it would re-route, the ETA time became earlier - why didn't it route me that way in the first place if it's quicker ???

This happened more than once as I drove on my (manually) optimized route to the office. Seemingly every time the software re-routed, the ETA would get earlier!

Also, coming home the other night I was originally routed to get onto the M6 at J18, but I chose to drive down and join at J17. The re-routing algorithm insisted I went back northbound and joined the M6 at J18 even though I was actually about 500 yards from the entrance at J17.

You can see what I mean here http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.165916,-2.353821&spn=0.096839,0.17355&z=13

The original routing took me through Holmes Chapel to the M6 at J18, but I chose to go down the A50 southbound from Holmes Chapel. At the A534 crossroads, I went West and McGuider insisted that I should take the A5022 back towards Holmes Chapel to join the M6 at J18, even though J17 was actually within sight at that point.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Sygic McGuider/Mobile Maps All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: