Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Toyota
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Toyota
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: TomTom Toyota Reply with quote

I recently bought a Toyota Yaris SR with the built in TomTom TNS400 sat nav. Well pleased with it but was surprised when I connected it to my computer to download any updates to the maps to find that it appears you can neither update or buy new maps. After a lengthy discussion thread with TomTom these are the last couple of replies I was given . A bit disappointing as the maps have now moved on to version 8

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Unfortunately due to the fact that Tom Tom Toyota products only support application version 6.5 at the moment, it is not possible to use mapshare with the product.

Furthermore, it is not possible to upgrade the map, as the latest maps require software version 7.** or higher.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Are there plans to make the software available and will I be able to upgrade the maps or am I to be left with a brand new out of date product?
Can you please also let me know when version 675.1409 of the maps was released.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Unfortunately there are no plans as of yet for the Toyota products to be compatible with upgrade application versions.
Map version 6.75 was released in April of 2007.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
eduo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: TomTom Toyota - TomTom's Lousy service and support Reply with quote

I am in the same position and believe this is embarrassing.

I bought the Toyota Yaris Rock in Rio edition, which includes and is advertised with this TomTom. The device is OK (low resolution, to me, but OK for the use) and in reality is this equipment:

http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn2210pmk2acce.html

The first time I tried connecting to the Home program it gave me an error when trying to make a backup and now it won't boot. I called the service line and was told to try and make a manual backup (which didn't work) and repairing the disk (which didn't work). We've isolated a single file that is causing problems in the unit: cname.dat. The rest of the files are perfect. This is a single file in the SD card that is corrupt for a known version of the maps.

Well, TomTom says I have to send the whole unit to Amsterdam for repairs. Estimated time to fix: 1 month.

This is lousy, lousy, lousy service.

I asked about the maps as well, as the version of the maps the unit ships with is from 2005. I was told the most recent I could get were maps from 2006. Since it seems maps are tied to software version (that makes no sense except for marketing reasons, TomTom wants to be able to tie new maps to new equipment to maximize hardware sales) we can't have a version of the new maps for the old software nor can the new software be released for the "old" hardware.

I'm saying "old" hardware but I need to stress that this vehicle is being sold as new currently, as a promotion for the Rock in Rio concerts that haven't even started. This is not an old vehicle with a used TomTom Unit.

TomTom's attitude is becoming more and more illogical and they have absolutely no reservations in letting the customer feel stupid. When I said I had just bought this vehicle with this tomtom device I was told the problem was mine but I was free to complain to Toyota. TomTom doesn't even provide an updated hardware unit for this device so even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to upgrade that.

No wonder everyone pirates their PDA software, they really make sure the hardware buyers feel used and abused.

Last edited by eduo on Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
eduo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the advertising for the Yaris announce an iPod connection but I haven't been able to find this.

Did you have the iPod connection cable or kit? Is this purchased separately? Who from? tomTom? Toyota?
NH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the same device as my "TOMTOM Toyota!!" Don't remember seeing an iPod connection, just the USB port on the front. I also had a long winded online discussion with TomTom before getting the answer above and trying to get my dealer to chase it up is going nowhere. Must say I am dissappointed in Toyota as well as the Sat Nav / Bluetooth was one of the factors considered before purchasing the car in the first place as I travel a fair bit with my work. I just feel a bit cheated
moomoomadman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Faulty TomTom & Toyota Reply with quote

We collected our brand new Yaris on 1st April - and we've returned our 3rd faulty TomTom to our Toyota garage already!!

TomTom also told us that it was Toyotas problem! and our dealer isn't exactly speedy at sorting out the problem, although they did admit that they knew other dealers were having problems as well.

If you have a problem insist that Toyota sorts it out, after all it is a component of the car!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a custom TomTom that differs from other models because of its integration with the in-car dock/radio. It's a shame that it cannot utilise the normal updates but as a niche model I suppose this situation was inevitable. TomTom make the device only, the base unit is made by Eclipse.

Galling never the less.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual with Tomtom it is a half baked affair and unusually for Toyota this has not been very well thought out .
One of the problems ( as I think has been mentioned)is that the software is unable to be updated at the moment and until tomtom decides to invest in the development it will stay that way !!
Its a pity because it could really be a step in the right direction .

I believe Garmin and Volvo do something which is of a similar idea and whether it has any better functionality I do not know
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's not a TomTom product. It's a custom TomTom unit unit procured from them by a third party, the radio manufacturer Eclipse. In such cases, the responsibility for updates as far as the customer is concerned lies either with Toyota or Eclipse not and not TomTom.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe Garmin and Volvo do something which is of a similar idea

Not really it's just a Garmin Nuvi 760 with a "Smart Mount" - Click here So it's just a standard Garmin Unit on a 3rd party mount.

I believe the only difference between a standard Nuvi 760 and the Nuvi 760 Volvo is the inclusion of

Quote:
an integrated database with Volvo information, including the quickest route to the closest Volvo workshop
eduo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
But it's not a TomTom product. It's a custom TomTom unit unit procured from them by a third party, the radio manufacturer Eclipse. In such cases, the responsibility for updates as far as the customer is concerned lies either with Toyota or Eclipse not and not TomTom.

This would work if there was any option to update TomTom devices other than through TomTom itself.

The Eclipse unit is Eclipse's, but the TomTom in it is TomTom's, built by TomTom and saying so in the device itself.

Eclipse should've secured a contract for updates for TomTom. We can't know if they did.

Toyota (and the rest) should've made sure Eclipse had this. We can't know if they did.

But, in the end, the device is made by TomTom and recognized by their software, physically and technically equivalent to current, supported systems. The manuals and included CDs are also from TomTom, not Toyota or Eclipse.

Obviously we can't know the deal Eclipse struck with TomTom nor what Eclipse told Toyota but it's clear the ball has been dropped. Toyota is marketing very heavily, currently, this model in Spain with the ads focusing mostly in the sound unit, GPS and iPod connectivity (in the Eclipse addon, that is).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgD96sVXR7I

I wrote Toyota an electronic letter I didn't receive an answer for. I wrote a post in my blog for it and will soon send them a fax. I'll end up sending a postal letter and just sigh at their unexpected success at ignoring the complaints (unusual for Toyota, by the way).

Eduo
---
eduo.info
twitter.com/eduo
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Have I missed the point here !!

The unit is supplied as a Tomtom ToyotaTNS400 !! it is supported by Tomtom on there website !!it is marketed by Toyota as a Tomtom sat nav.
Why would a company like Tomtom entrust there reputation to a third party .I always thought when a company procured a product to utilise it they removed the name of the product they were using
This was taken from a motor magazine

Quote:
If you love your sat-nav but are fed-up with suction pads and obscured vis­ion, Toyota and TomTom have the solution.

It gives the impression that this is a joint venture between Toyota and Tomtom

I do understand that your knowledge of the sat nav market is much better than mine but it may just be me but I cannot understand your logic on this Darren .
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eduo wrote:
Darren wrote:

This would work if there was any option to update TomTom devices other than through TomTom itself.

The Eclipse unit is Eclipse's, but the TomTom in it is TomTom's, built by TomTom and saying so in the device itself.

Eclipse should've secured a contract for updates for TomTom. We can't know if they did.

Toyota (and the rest) should've made sure Eclipse had this. We can't know if they did.

But, in the end, the device is made by TomTom and recognized by their software, physically and technically equivalent to current, supported systems. The manuals and included CDs are also from TomTom, not Toyota or Eclipse.

Obviously we can't know the deal Eclipse struck with TomTom nor what Eclipse told Toyota but it's clear the ball has been dropped. Toyota is marketing very heavily, currently, this model in Spain with the ads focusing mostly in the sound unit, GPS and iPod connectivity (in the Eclipse addon, that is).

I wrote Toyota an electronic letter I didn't receive an answer for. I wrote a post in my blog for it and will soon send them a fax. I'll end up sending a postal letter and just sigh at their unexpected success at ignoring the complaints (unusual for Toyota, by the way).

Eduo
---
eduo.info
twitter.com/eduo

I believe with the ipod it has to be hard wired in so its not just a simple job and it is causing lots of complaints as the advertising is a bit misleading
eduo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
eduo wrote:
Toyota is marketing very heavily, currently, this model in Spain with the ads focusing mostly in the sound unit, GPS and iPod connectivity (in the Eclipse addon, that is).

Eduo
---
eduo.info
twitter.com/eduo

I believe with the ipod it has to be hard wired in so its not just a simple job and it is causing lots of complaints as the advertising is a bit misleading

It doesn't need to be hardwired but it does need a special wire that Eclipse sells but is not sold in Spain. The iPod doesn't work just connecting to the USB port.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john877 wrote:
I do understand that your knowledge of the sat nav market is much better than mine but it may just be me but I cannot understand your logic on this Darren .

I'm not claiming its logical nor that the marketing is misleading.

My impression is that this unit (announced 18mths ago in the US) proved to be a poor seller and perhaps Toyota got them cheap as a result? Because the dock is manufactured by a third party there are complications in the interface and software as a result.

I concede that if TomTom have slapped their logo on the device then they do have some responsibility but it may be that updates will appear albeit it far behind regular units?

I'll ask TomTom for comment on this today.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eduo wrote:
john877 wrote:
eduo wrote:
Toyota is marketing very heavily, currently, this model in Spain with the ads focusing mostly in the sound unit, GPS and iPod connectivity (in the Eclipse addon, that is).

Eduo
---
eduo.info
twitter.com/eduo

It doesn't need to be hardwired but it does need a special wire that Eclipse sells but is not sold in Spain. The iPod doesn't work just connecting to the USB port.

There has been complaints in this country as well as dealers are unaware how to obtain a wire that is suitable for this.
The lead Tomtom provide I think fits into the back of the sat nav unit and at the moment the lead Toyota supplies is not able to be used .

Toyota dealers are unaware that Eclipse sell this and Tomtom support do not seem aware ???
This is going off topic now so perhaps we should get it back on before the mods jump in

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Factory-Fit and In-Dash SatNav Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: