Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ipaq RX5935 gps problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ipaq RX5935 gps problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazznsam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: ipaq RX5935 gps problems Reply with quote

I have a HP ipaq RX5935 travel companion, and it's a great machine except the gps is very insensative.

is there a proggy that i can tweak the gps settings with? the gps is onboard,

it seems to always be doing a cold start, taking upto 25 minutes to get a lock, it takes 5 minutes to even show the sat locations, then another 5 to get a single signal, then it'll take 5 - 10 more minutes to get upto 3 sat signals, then eventually it'll get a lock, this is all stationary, with the unit pointing at the sky with nothing around to block the signal.

the gps is supposed to be a sirfstar 3 unit, but it is slower and less sensative than a sirf2 unit i had a couple of years ago,

i plugged my external antenna which is on the roof of my motorhome in to it yesterday, and i got higher signal levels from the sats, but it still took the same time to get the sat locations, the first signal bar, then another and eventually a lock,

plugging and unplugging the antenna just increases and decreases the signal levels, it dosent get any more sats picked up.

This pda has the gps firmware fix installed, but it's still annoyingly bad at getting the signals, i wanted to use it for geocaching, but the slightest hint of a tree and the signal is lost whilst driving.

The poor sensativity is the same when running the built in tomtom 6.1, or a geocaching gps proggy (geoscout, and cachemate) it seems like the gps is set to run on the non sirf mode, if that's possible, is there a way to check it's in sirf mode, and if not make it run in that mode?
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you installed the GPS firmware update. My rx5935 normally takes a couple of minutes to get a fix but CAN take 5 minutes.
IngleybyMatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Rx5935 Reply with quote

Hi, I too have the similar problem with the gps being slow at picking up satellites - I have just recieved it back from repair with HP today, and now it seems even slower than ever - I am wondering where the GPS update is on HP's website so I can compare the version that is installed on mine.
If someone has the website address so I can sort it, I would apprieciate any help.
Thanks.
IngleybyMatt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Rx5935 gps problems Reply with quote

Hi, I too have the similar problem with the gps being slow at picking up satellites - I have just recieved it back from repair with HP today, and now it seems even slower than ever - I am wondering where the GPS update is on HP's website so I can compare the version that is installed on mine.
If someone has the website address so I can sort it, I would apprieciate any help.
Thanks.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed a strange beast.

In my time of using the device (I had it since March 2007) I find it gets a lock in a couple of minutes in a familiar location. Take it somewhere new and it can take 5 or more minutes to get a lock.

The GPS firmware update is a must and someone on the HP forums said that the daylight saving fix helped but it sounds like snakeoil to me.

Others have said that an external antenna speeds up lock time but I guess we went for the rx59xx series because it offered an all in one solution.

Overall, I'm still happy with mine.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget ...

Time to lock (TTL) for any GPS will depend on a number of things including...

Tme since it was last switched on. If you don't use the GPS for a few weeks - even if it's in the last location it was used - the TTL will increase.

Moving it between switching it off and switching it on (the GPS that is) will increase TTL - the further you move it the more likely this is.

If the device is moving (eg in a car) when you switch it on - then this increases the TTL. The calculation of a lock is dependent on a process of approximating a position then refining it. If you keep moving during this period it can increase the time substantially.

Also there are the usual things about "open sky" ie clear unobstructed view of the statellites. With hand held devices the position you hold it in your hand can also affect reception as you may interfere with the antenna.

Best check would be to go outside into clea sy, turn it on and wait for a lock. Now turn it off. Leave for 5 mins then turn it on again. You should expect a lock in less than one minute. Much longer than this would indicate poor reception - which may be poor sensitivity of the unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: