Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - S90i traffic problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

S90i traffic problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelly1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: S90i traffic problem Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new here today and quite impressed with the site.
My problem may have been answered before, but I can't find it so any help would be more than appreciated.
I've owned a s90i for a couple of weeks and I love it, but I am fuddled
I understand that the 90i has the traffic thingy built in but I can't get it to work.
The circle next to the TMC logo is grey and not lit, I have a pink coloured aerial lead, but which connector does it go into.

Relp!!!

Neil
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the online manual Here on page 8 it shows the lowest plug on the left hand side is for TMC, which can also be used for headphones.

Tmc on most satnavs is a hit and miss affair and placement of the ariel can make a huge difference as can where you live. To test reception, plug it in and leave for about a hour (stationary). If after testing you are still struggling with reception there are several post on this forum about how to connect it the the car ariel for best possable reception.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
ccs_digital
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the online manual Here on page 8 it shows the lowest plug on the left hand side is for TMC, which can also be used for headphones.

It also states that that is for some models...I thought the S90i included the TMC cradle in which case the aerial plugs into the bottom next to the mini USB power socket (as shown on page 11 of the manual). This is certainly how it works with my S80.

Would agree with mostdom that coverage can be a bit patchy, though I have found that aerial placement isn't too critical (and had a similar experience with iCN530+T1). It seems to work well with the wire hidden behind the window trim on my car - and also deters potential thieves!
nelly1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I tried plugging the lead in the bottom plug as shown in the manual, and then run the lead up the side of my windscreen (hidden behind the post cover) and then across the top of the window.

I drove around like this all day (I am a taxi driver) and nothing, zilch, not a thing!!!

I am in Harlow, Essex (Just a couple of miles outside of the NE M25).

I am a bit dissapointed as the traffic reports would have come in very handy for long runs, airports etc...

Oh dear!!!

Nelly Crying or Very sad
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had an S90i, I seem to remember I got the best response if I ran the "string" horizontally along the bottom of the windscreen.

I'm not sure what the weather is like down south at the mo but I found the best days for reception are those that are dry but cloudy - the clouds presumably prevent the radio signals from escaping into the atmos!

--

Cheers

Dave
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelly1967 wrote:
I drove around like this all day (I am a taxi driver) and nothing, zilch, not a thing!!!

Is your S90i software up to date (SP2)?
nelly1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I download some stuff the 1st time I connected to Nav Desk, but how do I check to see if I have Sp2???

Plug and play my arse!!!!

Evil or Very Mad
nelly1967
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, I went on a trip around the M25 to Gatwick airport and the thing picked up a signal and gave me some warnings.

Its actually pretty awesome when it works, I guess that the signal in my home area is just shite Laughing

Thanks for all of your help, this site is great Very Happy

Nelly

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: