Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman S90i, Sony nv73 or garmin 255wt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman S90i, Sony nv73 or garmin 255wt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nunew33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Navman S90i, Sony nv73 or garmin 255wt Reply with quote

My mandatory reqs are:
European maps
Free TMC (ie lifetime subcription)
Budget £150-£200
Free speed camera updates

Done my research and narrowed it down to the Navman, Sony and Garmin. Looked at tomTom XL v22 and the Median Gopal P4425. But they seem to be pricier based on web prices.

They all look good on paper. But im guessing there are some knowledgeable chaps on here that will steer me down a path based on experience.

Navman seems to have it all (ie camera text to speech, faster processor, bluetooth). But It worries me when you get bells and whistles at a bargain price as it usually means compromise.

Any advice on which to plump for would be great.

Thanks in advance
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very briefly:

SONY:
sony recently pulled out of the gps market so future support / updates are likely to be very limited

NAVMAN:
the new S-range have a terrible limit of 12,000 custom poi's - i.e. you cannot even install our full speed camera database onto it! most get around this by not installing the mobile sites but i'll let others comment. also, navman have a habit of not bothering to support older units once new ones are released but this may change since mio have taken over

GARMIN:
excellent customer service. cannot fault it! however, many 'advanced' users seem to dislike the more 'basic' user interface of the garmins.

personally i would go for the garmin option out of those ones. BUT i would also look into some of the lower-end tomtom's although i'm not sure where they stand with regards to tmc. to be honest tmc isn't that good anyway (personal opinion though)

MaFt
nunew33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Wondered why Sony's seemed to have the bigger discounts.

Im very tempted by TomtomXL v2. And everyone keeps telling me TomToms are better.
Ill have a closer look at the garmin
nunew33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone under a similar dilemma i went for the Ipaq 314. Purely on price (£90 with cash back) and feature set. It met all my mandatory requirements.

However its not for the faint hearted. The manual is written by a geek eg "the slider looks like an analogue potentiometer"!!!

And the manual is written with no screen shots!

However. Altho it doesnt have things like picture navigation, lets face it this doesnt help us to get from a to B. It is fast and has a very clear screen (800x480). There is a lot of bad press/reviews but research shows that they are mostly software based and HP have been quick to issue upgrades. 90% of the reasons for bad press did not exist when I booted up (eg quiet hisst TTS, random freezing).

The bells and whistles it does offer tho are 3d buildings in major cities, media player (photo music and video). TMC is extra tho £35 for what is in effect an fm tuner and wire!!!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from memory this is a custom version of igo8. it's not the most logical to use at first but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: