Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What should I do?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leekleiman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: What should I do? Reply with quote

Hi,

I just bought a Nuvi 250W from Argos today. It came with version 9 of the City Navigator. I take it that this is not the new 2008 version. Surely I should have got the 2008 version seeing as it has been out for months. What can I do? do I really have to pay £50 for the latest version?

Lee
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register the unit with Garmin and you will be entitled to a free upgrade to the latest maps. If your unit was UK and Ireland only you will get the whole of Europe with the new maps but may need an SD card to use the whole of Europe.
mender28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in exactly the same position, I have registered my 250 and the site asks for money to upgrade to the latest maps. Has anyone done this, if so what is the procedure?

Thanks
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mender28 wrote:
I am in exactly the same position, I have registered my 250 and the site asks for money to upgrade to the latest maps.

Ring up Garmin and discuss it with them; I have always found them helpful. I think I have read that they have recently changed their systems for determining entitlement to free map upgrade but their may be some cases where the new system gets it wrong at the moment.
mender28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Free map update for nuvi 250 (recently purchased) Reply with quote

Thanks for that. You're right they are helpful, I was entitled to a free update, they have initiated the dvd delivery (2-6 weeks), and sent me the unlock codes. Claire was particularly helpful. All in all a pleasant experience, free phone number as well, none of this 0870 rubbish. I would also like to thank this site as without it I wouldn't even have realised that I could be entitled to a free update, although the Garmin website should have indicated that I was. I believe they are looking into this problem.

Many thanks
JP
Kolster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done my Nuvi 350 which I got a couple of months ago on the internet, got the free 2008 disc about 3 weeks ago, can be a bit of a pain, took 3 go's to put it onto the PC, kept getting a Disk1.cab corrupt message, but when it eventually did go in, it took a total of 3 hours to put it on the PC and then onto the Nuvi, but its all working ok now, so allow yourself plenty of time.
John
Adamj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic but will come in handy, if you do have to ring a 0870 number for something then visit www.saynoto0870.com and get a alternative number which usually is free or dirt cheap.
PeterSm
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: OT but Related...Version Numbers Reply with quote

Is someone able to confirm what the actual latest version of the UK/European maps for the Nuvi is please (i.e. i've seen requests to update to V8,v9 now V10...)

Cheers
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is someone able to confirm what the actual latest version of the UK/European maps for the Nuvi is please (i.e. i've seen requests to update to V8,v9 now V10...)

City Navigator NT Europe 2008 (which is v10)
mender28
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding saynoto0870. I do use this all the time, and I did for Sony spares, and I did get a geographical number, which when I rang it, I got an answerphone, which said ring 0870blah blah. So they got me anyway. Most of the time saynoto0870 works well I have to say, but not in this case. Thats why I praised the Garmin help line.

Really off topic but may be of interest, I wanted two small screws for the case of my minidisk player and Sony spares said I had to have 8, at £6 each plus postage and vat total £59. Think I'll just buy an MP3 player with the £59. Sorry to burden you all with this rubbish but I just had to tell someone!!
JP

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: