Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ummmm.... which map version?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ummmm.... which map version?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Ummmm.... which map version? Reply with quote

Many many thanks for the help in choosing a replacement for my ageing GO300, and a brand new 920T arrived by courier this morning from The Link for £246 which didn't seem bad as the 300 cost me £350!
But now of course the real problems begin Embarassed First up, I connected via HOME to get any updates it reckoned I needed, and it suggested a dozen countries worth of speed cameras, along with an update to the GPS system. Sounded good to me, so I ticked them all and down they all (allegedly) came, followed by a progress bar for 'installation'. Bit disappointed then to look at POI's afterwards and find no speed cameras in it! Whats going on there? I defintely saw them in hte list, definitely downloaded and installed them, so where are they?!
Moving on, I checked my software/map versions. Sat and read all the hundreds of posts in the "which works with my..." thread, and here's my specs below:
App: 7.481 (9086/...
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.4106
Map W&CE v710.1576
There was no Latest Map Guarantee in the box, but from my reading of all the threads on this (in other words I'm probably wrong) some people haven't needed that anymore and you can have the latest map on registration anyway if yours is older? That would tie in with my thoughts anyway - after all, if you buy a new device, you'd expect the most recent maps with it, right?
Finally, I'm not sure whether I qualify for a lifetime membership - my recollection is somewhat cack, but I did get a 'free' update last time I did it for the 300 some time ago after someone (Darren?) verified my additions to the database?
Apologies for so many questions at once, and again, thanks to all who supplied info in helping me choose my new device
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, before you do anything else connect it to the PC and fully back it up using Windows Explorer (this is explained on the FAQ page listed near the top of this forums index page).
You should get the updated maps, v720 is the latest, if TomTom Home doesn't offer it I suggest you give TomTom Support a ring on Monday (0845 161 0009) - there should have been the Map Guarantee paperwork in the box though.
As for your speed cameras, if you want to use the ones from this site and don't know if your membership is active, simply click the link to the speed camera page (top left) and it will either let you download the cameras or not? - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ummmm.... which map version? Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
Finally, I'm not sure whether I qualify for a lifetime membership - my recollection is somewhat cack, but I did get a 'free' update last time I did it for the 300 some time ago after someone (Darren?) verified my additions to the database?

I've looked and cannot find you or on our master list of submitters pre-charge. All those qualified for Lifetime Subscriptions. Looking at your earlier posts around the time of the charge you allude to another account, mikedean01? The email address associated with that similarly does not appear on our master list of submitters.

If you have any other email addresses you may have used when submitting pre-charge then please let me know either here or via email (subscriptionsATpocketgpsworld.com) and I'll search our records. Otherwise you would have to subscribe.
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, backed it all up by copying all items into a folder on my laptop, and did a TomTom backup as well just to be sure! I'll ring them on Monday and see what they say about map upgrade, but given the runaround I've seen others put to I cant say I'm hopeful!
Still dunno what happened to the supposed camera database I downloaded though as it isn't showing up anywhere. And following the camera database link on this site says I'm not subscribed Crying or Very sad - not sure why, I did three corrections where fixed cameras had been removed (always good news to see a camera come down Wink )
mrjbluedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Having got my 720 at the end of April I tried updating to the map guarantee when the v720 came out (within the 30 days). However have been unable to, tom tom advised they passed it to their 2nd line support over a week ago but nothing further has been heard. When they acknowledged my query they said the server was down, but does it really take over a week to repairor keep customers updated.
The 720 seems good but it appears tom tom organisation may not be as trustworthy in their promises or have they been learning from Drivesmart.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact them again and again as necessary to get the map that you are entitled to, the server was working last week as a few people got the new map - Mike
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I 'enable' the traffic element of my 920T? I've been out in the car and plugged in the cable, but nothing seems to happen on the display - I certainly dont get the 'traffic bar' down the right hand side thats shown in the user manual. Do I have to enable this thing in the settings somewhere?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
How do I 'enable' the traffic element of my 920T? I've been out in the car and plugged in the cable, but nothing seems to happen on the display - I certainly dont get the 'traffic bar' down the right hand side thats shown in the user manual. Do I have to enable this thing in the settings somewhere?

The traffic bar should appear as soon as you connect the antenna? if you don't see it, check the antenna is plugged in correctly and if still no joy, try a soft reset.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2, have you gone to tools/use latest map guarantee" when your device is connected to HOME?. YOu don't need any paperwork any more. It's all done though the site. Only problem is that the server is down now & apparantly has been most of the day.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
Still dunno what happened to the supposed camera database I downloaded though as it isn't showing up anywhere.

The cameras you downloaded were from TomTom - they give you a free initial installation, followed by that first free update which you received. After that, it's a subscription service, just like ours, only more expensive and far less quality (see HERE). They are no longer what we've been used to as POIs, they can be seen if you select...

Menu item TomTom Services, then
TomTom Safety cameras

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikedean2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
mikedean2, have you gone to tools/use latest map guarantee" when your device is connected to HOME?. YOu don't need any paperwork any more. It's all done though the site. Only problem is that the server is down now & apparantly has been most of the day.

As of Saturday morning:
"The internet server had an internal error." Well, yeah, I figured that, since it isn't downloading the latest map.
"It may be a temporary problem." Hah, yeah, right. 'Temporary' as in "I'm suffering from a temporary loss of my virginity" sort of temporary...
"Please try again later." Why? Its not as if it'll actually work, is it?

Funny how I only remembered how good my old GO300 was up til now, but all of a sudden the grief of getting TomTom to actually support it comes flooding back Rolling Eyes
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedean2 wrote:
Funny how I only remembered how good my old GO300 was up til now, but all of a sudden the grief of getting TomTom to actually support it comes flooding back Rolling Eyes

My 300 cost £350 too (3 years ago) and I never had a day's trouble from it. One of my biggest regrets, selling it to my mate - he still hasn't used the reset button in anger!!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: