Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - how to put music on 760?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

how to put music on 760?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: how to put music on 760? Reply with quote

So I've bought a garmin 760 and am pretty impressed with it so far. Definately a move up from the i3! As a computer imbecile I am having trouble understanding how to transfer music onto the unit. I have a number of questions.

1, How big is the internal memory? Can't find it in the instructions.

2, What is the biggest SD card I can use? The website doesn't seem to mention the 760 but the 670 is 4gb.

3,I assumed I would be able to transfer music I've put on itunes but discover that that is MP4. How do I get my cds copied in the relevant MP3 format? I realise that that may seem a stupid question to most readers but I am beyond the computer generation!

4, Having copied my cds as MP3s how do I put them onto the unit?

5, How many cds can I put on a 4gb card?

6, Is there any disadvantage to using larger sd cards in terms of the normal functioning of the unit?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there should be a setting somewhere in itunes for the format of 'ripped' cd's. mp4 is a video format - i think itune defaults to ac3 or aac? regardless, you may have to find the setting in itunes to save it as mp3, i;d recomend 160kb/s for the bit-rate.

this equates to approx 1.2mb per minute so a 5 minute song would be 6mb. 4gb is the total nuvi size BUT remember your software and maps take up a lot of that! i THINK there's about 300mb free? maybe less. best way is to connect to the pc then right click the drive in 'my computer' and click 'properties' - this should show the free space.

to transfer, just copy the mp3's to the device - the software will pick them up whereever they are BUT for ease it would make sense to put them in a folder called 'music' and maybe put albums in sub-folders too. connect the nuvi to the pc and copy/paste the files to the drive or copy/paste the files to an sd card.

at 160kb/s you should be able to fit about 16hours of music on a 4gb card - that's only a quick calculation though!

hope that answers most of your questions!

MaFt
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt. Had a quick look at itunes but can't find anything to do with mp3. Will get 4gb sd card first then investigate further.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dig deeper!

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_have_itunes_rip_cds_into_mp3_format.html

hope that helps

MaFt
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 4gb SD card for my 770 from Amaz*n for approx £8 I think it was.

someone at Garmin said it was to big ....but it seems to work OK.

My son has loaded music and audio books for me. if you do not get this sorted I will get him to have a look.......
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Converting MP4s to MP3s Reply with quote

Hi there

I had the same problem when I learnt two months ago how to copy on to my Nuvi 670, my niece has I tunes which saves as MP4 then you have to convert them to an MP3. It seemed to be very complicated so I found another way.

If you have Windows Media Player then this converts them to MP3s. You have to go to the options to select this. That is what I use perhaps that might work for you. As for the amount you can put on a 4gb card I have got the equivalent of 22 classical and pop cds on so it does save a lot of space.

You can transfer music to the internal drive as well as the SD card but I prefer to keep all my songs and Pois seperate on to the SD card.

Cheers

Jerry
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Converting MP4s to MP3s Reply with quote

barecheek wrote:
If you have Windows Media Player then this converts them to MP3s. You have to go to the options to select this.

itunes will save as mp3 too - and again, you have to go into the settings to change this.

see the link i posted a few above Laughing

MaFt
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I would get my son to do it for me but I may have a while to wait. He's 3 months! I'm almost 50 and knackered.

So now I've started putting cds on the computer. I've got 3 into my music. How do I put them onto the garmin. If I connect I get the nuvi showing and open that up. Do I just copy onto that page or do I have to open another bit. (The Garmin folder?) Do they just automatically load onto the garmin. Reluctant to try it until it's spelt out for me. How many can I put on without having an sd card?
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore last question. Have successfully loaded first cd onto unit. Thanks MaFt.
eddieo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colossus wrote:
Ignore last question. Have successfully loaded first cd onto unit. Thanks MaFt.

hopefully Via a SD card ?
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hopefully Via a SD card ?

Haven't got sd card yet. Just put one cd on machine with intention of deleting it when sd card arrives but quality of sound from fm signal so poor I'm wondering if it's worth it. Don't think my car radio has an aux input.
Scarecrow
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality of FM transmitter reception is variable, depending on strength of signals on nearby frequencies.

The other annoying thing is that as you drive around, a frequency that was free when you started can become occupied, leading to interference and severe loss of quality.

In theory it's a nice idea, but it does have it's drawbacks.
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably if you have an aux input the quality will be good? Listened to it with headphones today and if it comes out like that it's perfectly good enough for car listening.
The Rudd
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: FM Freqeuncies Reply with quote

I know what you mean abou the quality of the FM transmitters, it seems a bit of a faff when you are driving along but now seems as an occupational hazzard. When I drove from Newcastle to Hoddeson last year we had to change the frequencies about 3 times.

Not brilliant I know but to have the instructions come through the stereo it's a small price (for me anyway) as I wear hearing aids.

Jerry
Miles_hot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colossus wrote:
Presumably if you have an aux input the quality will be good? Listened to it with headphones today and if it comes out like that it's perfectly good enough for car listening.

Does the 760 have an output? I seem to recall someone bemoning the fact that it did not?
Miles

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: