Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommended GPS PDA and software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended GPS PDA and software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pogbellies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Recommended GPS PDA and software Reply with quote

Hi I have a Holux GPSmile 60 which will not work with my Vista laptop.

Can anyone recommend a new all in one solution (i.e. PDA with a built in GPS receiver preferably Sirfstar 3). Also which software is best for W Europe. I would also like to load my existing copy of Memory Map onto it, and use it as a remote control - hence the desire for a PDA rather than a pure Satnav unit. Ideally it should have bluetooth and wifi.

I have looked at a couple of HTC phones the P3470 and the Touch Cruise, both are nice but I like a good camera phone and neither seems to be well liked as such and I'm not sure if the screen is as big as a PDA. I also looked at the Nokia N95 but the screen is definitely too small for satnav.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I am upgrading in the next few days my Mio 160 Pda running TomTom Nav 6 which as given excellent service for over a couple of years and been very happy with, I have narrowed it down to a choice between the mio 360/560 or Asus a696, the mio 360 comes at £185 and the 560 at at £244 but with Wifi and bluetooth, but the Asus comes at £188 and includes Wifi and Blutooth, both run MW6 so can run other nav software, the Asus also includes AC charger and 4 programmable butons including screen rotate which the Mios do not, I find the rotae button very very usefull, all have .5 inch screens which i find more that adequate, MIOs are 400MHZ and Asus is 416mhz compared to the 168 300mhz so should be more than fast enough, The Asus seems very good value provided it performs, my concern is battery life and finding it very dificult to find revoews of either units.
Hope this helps.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to last post All units are sif 3 with inbuilt reciever not flip up like 168 and all are slimline units.
pogbellies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a look at the Asus, it is a lovely piece of kit, but then so is the HTC but that is a lot more expensive. One day someone will make a genuinely effective convergence device that is not prohibitively expensive, until then its the likes of the Asus that will win my vote.

If you do come across something different and effective I would be grateful if you could post back.

Cheers
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both mike alder and myself have the O2 varient of the touch cruze mine is used all day in my van with out very many problems apart from the usual soft reset. my partner jen got a nokia n95 8 gb and the screen on that to me wold be fine for satnav also

have you looked at t-mobile with the mda compact3 its a very capable unit and also one jen and myself have and are exellent units and quiet fastenough for use a satnav and mobile phone at the same time

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
pogbellies
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I also looked at the Cruze and the Vario, a colleague has the Vario and again its nice. The prob I have with these is the capability of the camera. I tend to go for phones with really good cameras (relatively speaking of course) and neither has the sort of features I like (autofocus, over 3mp etc) the closest I have seen is the N95 but the satnav on that is not as good as my TT5 and Holux. Hence the PDA route seeming to be the best at the moment.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: