Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does anyone know anything about the Medion P4220 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone know anything about the Medion P4220 ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkonion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Does anyone know anything about the Medion P4220 ? Reply with quote

I've been keeping an eye on the market looking to buy my first sat-nav and noticed this item going on sale in Aldi next week. However when I visited the Medion web-site to obtain further information I have not been able to find this model. Does anybody have any advice regarding this model or Medion sat-navs in general? They appear to be good value for the features they include and the P4225 featured on the Medion web-site appeared particularly impressive but at £250 is about £100 more than I can afford right now.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medion have it on their website although very little info on it, taken from Medion:
  • MEDION ME 4.1A navigation software with intuitive functions in a stylish design
  • TMC technology for automatic traffic jam avoidance
  • 1 GB internal memory
  • NAVTEQ map material
  • Split screen functionality
  • Seamless detailed maps of UK, IE and Western Europe preinstalled and on CD/DVD-ROM
  • ...plus many more features
I've been trying to secure review units from Medion for some months now and have frankly given up. It looks like a nice unit, decent screen and the split-screen looks good.

Some of their previous units have been very good, some less so but don't expect support or on-going updates. Once the stock is gone that's it with occasional map updates the most you can hope for.

If you're after a bargain and don't expect/want ongoing support/updates then it could be a good buy. Otherwise I'd say invest a few quid more and get a TomTom which will be supported with updates, new software etc. TomTom are still providing updates for their very first PND, a factor well worth considering in this throwaway society. A ONE XL EU can be had for about £165.00.
kram08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, slightly late reply but I only just saw your message.

I've just taken a chance and bought one of these beasts and its not at all bad.

1gb flash
64 mb ram

The device seems reasonably solid and well made although the design makes it look a bit cheap. The installed GoPal software works well and though still not up to the standard of my favorite iGO it is a good deal better than a lot of the rest.

The map display lags a little when driving over 30 mph but not too badly.

The routing, in as far as I've tested it on my regular routes, is the best I have seen so far and the only one to pick the same routes that I would on two out of my four test routes - no other nav software that I have tried picked any of my preferred routes and iGo sends me the wrong way completely (though I blame TeleAtlas for that).

The GoPal UI could, I suppose. be described as a bit of a cross between Navigon and Destinator - it's not as intuitive or flexible as I'd like but its OK. You only get one voice (female) and you don't get the control over the display that igo gives but its worth suffering a little for Navteq maps (though sadly these are Q2 2007 but still far better than TeleAtlas).

BTW the "split screen" feature is actually only a matter of using the left of the screen to display turn icons while the right displays the map - you cannot flip the map to full from the map screen its a setup option and the turn icons take up more of the screen that strictly necessary in my opinion. Technically split screen but...

The TMC works VERY well - gets a good signal even with the silly little dipole antenna that comes with unit. In fact it got a signal even before I stuck the antenna to the windscreen - it was just dangling across the passenger seat! Display of TMC info is good too. Can't comment on its use in routing as I've not had occasion to test it.

With a bit of work you can get into the OS and add your own extra applications. GoPal in this version comes with an alarm clock (possibly because its the only way you can set the system clock) but without the other extras (mp3, video etc.) that some more expensive Medion SatNavs have.

It has a nice auto-off feature that puts it into standby mode when the external power supply is turned off. Useful if your car turns off the accessory socked when you turn off the ignition. It would have been even nicer if it turned back on automatically but you cannot have everything.

As you'd expect support in the form of updates is likely to be limited but it does at least have a 3 year warrenty.

Comes with car mount (a rather cumbersome one but the mounting clip is a standard fit so I use it on my old mount). Car charger, Mains charger, USB lead, Backups of software and maps on 2 CD's with GoPal Assistant for installing them. A better than average "get started" booklet and full manual on CD.

For those who geotag photos GoPal can record a GPS track but I've not tested it so I can't tell you what format it uses.

OK I've gone on long enough now Shocked so I'll just say that at GBP 149 its a good buy for the maps and TMC alone (and if you don't like GoPal you can always put iGO 8 on instead Cool )

kram.
zappy61
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: medion 4220 Reply with quote

Hi,
I got one of these last week. So far I am pleased had TomTom before. One thing is the battery life, mine only lasts about 1.5 hours is this normal has anyone tried it out yet? Doesnt give you much time if it is set on pedestrian and I am past jogging!
dugo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Dropped mine back Reply with quote

Had nice fast CPU and clear screen and detailed maps - but I dropped it back because I live in Ireland and there seemed some issues with the map.
We couldn't find a way to enter some street addresses in Co Dublin, it kept trying to direct us through the new (tolled) Dublin Port tunnel - even though toll road routing was disabled, you couldn't enlarge the map text despite the large screen, and sometimes the instructions were needlessly redundant (It would say "turn left then immediately left" when there was a left turn and a bend in the road. The Nuvi with the same (but earlier) mapset simply issued a "turn left"; it's as if the raw map data was missing a level of pre-processing.)
Battery life was quite short as described above.
Initial GPS fix times were very much longer than my Nuvi 310.
"Situational awareness" wasn't as good as the Nuvi in that it didn't sometimes didn't show you the pertinent stuff on the map around you - even at high detail (and sometimes it did! Odd.)
I imagine it's very good for UK/Europe, but I found round Dublin that it was going to be a little to problematic for my intended recipient (someone slightly older).
Certainly reasonable value if the above issues don't matter to you. Plus it's a Windows device.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: