Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Editing Routes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Editing Routes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Editing Routes Reply with quote

I have created a route for a walk which I will be leading, but have decided that it is not long enough. I want to 'stretch' the route by adding in an extra loop part way along the route so that it goes further east and north of the present path. If I try to add a waypoint it is then linked to the start\finish point rather than to the existing path. Is there a way of amending the route without having to delete part of it (from the finish back to where I want to extend it), then add in the extra loop and continue to the finish? With my old Garmin GPSIII I would manually create waypoints then create a route from them. To amend the route I would create extra waypoints which could then be slotted into the route at the appropriate point. I would add an image to better illustrate my problem but don't know how to do so.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select the route that you have created to make it active press "Routes" then select the actual route using the joystick.

Press the "Edit" key and select "Edit Route Map" from the list.

Position the joystick over your route where it needs altering and you will notice the reticule changes to green, depress the joystick to add a waypoint at that location, it will appear as a push pin on the map, use the joystick to position the pushpin to where you actually want it, to fix the location depress the joystick to confirm the location you want.

Repeat the add waypoint as many times as required, as long as the cursor is green and positioned over your route this method works fine - Mike
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Editing Routes Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful reply which certainly makes life easier. Next question: why when creating a new route does the mileage shown in the box on the screen bear no relation to the actual mileage? For example I created my start point and then the next waypoint and it already shows 17 miles when the actual distance is only a few hundred yards!! Is this another item which needs fixing or am I doing something wrong?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't sound correct at all, can you reply with the software version you have installed to the device and if possible the two waypoint coordinates so that myself and others can try to replicate the fault/ advise on what is going on, if you want you could e-mail me the route so I could view it on my device? - Mike
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Editing Routes Reply with quote

When I switch on, the Planning screen is on Leicester (centre of UK?) and the box says SK 6178 0323 Dst 127 ml 014o(degrees)G Alt 288ft. The 127 miles appears to be the distance from my home near Ringwood, although as I have not picked up any satellites being indoors I don't know how it knows where I am.

If I go to the Routes menu and select Create New Route, the Planning screen appears and I select SD 3070 3649 as my start point it says 212 miles even though this is the first waypoint so it again seems to be relating the route to my home. If I create the next waypoint at SD 3094 4030 it nows reads 214 miles, even though the distance from Blackpool to Bispham is probably 2 miles. If I then select Done it tells me my Route Length is 2.37 miles. So why does the Planning screen not show the actual accumulated mileage as I create a route? Am I doing something wrong? I have version 1.16.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find the distance displayed is the distance from the the current displayed position with respect to the last known position where the device had a good GPS fix (in your case possibly the back/ front garden outside your house).

When I tried the coordinates you supplied the distance offered was relative to the last position my active10 device had stored as a position fix, and I did get strange values while planning the route. Once the planning is complete though the straight line distance between waypoints is fine though - Mike
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Editing Routes Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for your response. It would make more sense to me if the data box showed the mileage as the route is being created rather than relating it to my last known position which is of little, if any, use. Perhaps I need to add it to the wish list.

Led a walk today and at the end the screen showed Trip Dist 10.0 miles but when I converted the trail to a track and viewed the route map it said it was 10.6 miles. Should there be any difference? If so should it be as much as 0.6 mile?
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Editing Routes Reply with quote

The above post was made on Friday 23 May at 21:40. Can someone check why it says Saturday (tomorrow) 6:38 am?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: