Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TT have got bigger and more successful, the rush to produce new models and ever more bells and whistles DOES seem to have produced kit that is nowhere near as straightforward and "bomb-proof".

It used to be that if you bought a Go300 and did NOTHING to it, it would carry on working forever. We are now getting to the stage where you need quite a bit of knowledge just to keep the more recent models running.
simulatedsid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom 730 T from Halfords Reply with quote

Hi
Just purchased and am awaiting delivery for 730T from Halford(not advertised on the web site but found when you search for "730"). I hope this is not one units also posted earlier with issues due to being non UK.....

Will keep you posted

Not advertised on the Halfords web site
hwangeruk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: battery life Reply with quote

tomtoms have appalling battery life.

do the new x30 units have better battery life?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: battery life Reply with quote

hwangeruk wrote:
tomtoms have appalling battery life.

do the new x30 units have better battery life?

What do you consider 'appalling'? These are after all units designed for in-car usage and so 3hrs + is perfectly reasonable for occasional use away from power.

I reviewed the 920 and was able to get over 4hrs from a full charge, more than enough in my opinion and as good as any other manufacturer.
gaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Differences between tomtom x30's Reply with quote

I just can't understand what the difference is between each of the x30's is other than maps, does the 530 have enhanced positioning?

Is it true you can update the software on the x20's to have the IQ and advanced lane?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences between tomtom x30's Reply with quote

gaj wrote:
I just can't understand what the difference is between each of the x30's is other than maps, does the 530 have enhanced positioning?
Only the 930 has the EPT system fitted, the others just use standard GPS which, as you know doesn't work too well in tunnels.

gaj wrote:
Is it true you can update the software on the x20's to have the IQ and advanced lane?
This should be the case when/ if new maps and the Navcore 8 software is made available for the x20 series of devices - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences between tomtom x30's Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Only the 930 has the EPT system fitted, the others just use standard GPS which, as you know doesn't work too well in tunnels.

The 920 also has EPT and I had it running alongside two 720s (without EPT) when I went along the Embankment and through the Limehouse Link tunnel to Canary Wharf. That's a pretty decent tunnel so it should be a reasonable test. All three devices lost signal in the tunnel. All three continued to show me moving through the tunnel, correct direction and location. It has curves and I had to turn off at the junction inside the tunnel. All three showed the junction correctly. When I came out, the 720s actually regained live map and signal before the 920T - only fractionally, but nevertheless. Maybe a much longer tunnel would be more of a test, but I won't hold my breath.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 930T really worth the cash then if all you get is EPT and more maps, does the 930 have an accelerometer?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences between tomtom x30's Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
. . . but I won't hold my breath.

That's the clever thing about tunnels, Dennis. You can go under the water without having to hold your breath! Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a technical dumbo, I've just spent a small age trying to find the relevant post, but couldn't.

I think it was MikeAlder who explained that the 930 has a solid state gyroscope. I have no idea what he was talking about and I may well have got the memory completely wrong. But it DOES have some magic thingy inside to work out where you are by sensing your speed and turns. Allegedly Confused

The 930T is the current top of the range model. It has more memory, more bells and more whistles than all others.

If you're as daft as I am about "more", you want it!! If you want to get from A to B, you don't need such an expensive device.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences between tomtom x30's Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
DennisN wrote:
. . . but I won't hold my breath.

That's the clever thing about tunnels, Dennis. You can go under the water without having to hold your breath! Laughing

Clap Clap Not Worthy Thanks Anita. After 500 miles today, the chuckle was worth coming home for.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, Have another read of This Thread which is the one you were looking for - it was Darren that confirmed the type of gyro - Mike
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaj wrote:
Is the 930T really worth the cash then if all you get is EPT and more maps, does the 930 have an accelerometer?

not really sure about gyroscopes and whatnot, but the 930 has the IQ routes and the advance lane guidance, which are both new features.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
not really sure about gyroscopes and whatnot, but the 930 has the IQ routes and the advance lane guidance, which are both new features.

As does the 530 and 730. EPT is the only feature the 930 has that the other models cannot offer.
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, touche. i misunderstood the question.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: