Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommended Screen Protectors & Cases for x30?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended Screen Protectors & Cases for x30?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Recommended Screen Protectors & Cases for x30? Reply with quote

Seeing as the new x30 range doesn't come with a case or screen protectors, (unlike my 910 did) can anyone recommend good screen protectors and cases for a 730?

Thanks
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never use a screen protector on a TomTom PNA, they simply don't require one and if fitted they can lead to spurious menu selections. Trapped air under the protector expands due to heat (when the sun does come out) exerting pressure on the screen, which the device assumes is a press by the finger. Simply not worth it, if the device needed to use one it would be supplied by the manufacturer as an accessory - Mike
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Thats a surprising reply Mike, but you make very valid points.

The 910 I bought originally came with a screen protector which I never removed up until a few weeks ago as it was beginning to look a bit tatty and holding trapped air. When I removed it the screen was like new. This was my thinking behind getting one for the 730, to help prolong it's screen life.

Personally, the carry case is a must, but I'll just use some Anti-static screen cleaner.

Does anyone have any experience of using screen protectors?

Good, Bad?
gary10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a PSP screen protector for my 720. The fit is almost perfect and easily bought.

Yes they don't need one but during my deliveries i sometimes use my pen when not thinking which scratches the screen. i've had one on for 9 months at approx 70 hours use a week with no adverse effects, only positive ones by saveig my screen.

Mikealder, you talk as though you have experianced problems yourself, but say you would never use one. Are these theoretical problems ?

There are various accesories we use for our satnavs which are aftermarket, are these not required also because TomTom doesn't supply them ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gary10 wrote:
Mikealder, you talk as though you have experianced problems yourself, but say you would never use one. Are these theoretical problems ?

I have had problem TomTom devices brought to me from others at work who have various sat nav units and seen what the screen protector can do first hand - it is a simple fix to rip the offending plastic from the screen and give the device back to the owner "repaired" where I work has 8000+ staff, and it is surprising how many use a nav unit! - Mike
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme, you might like to check out the threads here and here in which cases that would be suitable for your 730 were discussed.
Samsung Galaxy S21
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place you might want to look is your local camera shop - quite often, camera cases will fit and the one I use was a 50p bargain in a sale
SatMonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Useful if your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend or husband has long nails ... and uses their finger tips to 'type' ...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:

The 910 I bought originally came with a screen protector which I never removed up until a few weeks ago

I don't think that was a "screen protector" intended to be left on when the device was being used, but just to protect it during manufacture and shipping.
Just like the plastic sheeting you often get on tv remote controls and especially the Infra-red sensor windows on videos (but then I'm always peeling those off friends stuff after they've had it for years)
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 520/720/920 zipped cases are IDENTICAL.
Sema_4
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the terrible reviews on the 'TomTom deluxe leather case' I decided to buy one of these cases from Amazon for my 920T :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000T5AQHS

At that time there were no bad reviews of this item, although now some people seem to be complaining about the quality of the zip, I have never found the zip to be stiff or had any trouble with it at all and I like the fact it offers robust screen protection for the screen to stop my keys scratching it when it's in my handbag, and at the same time it doesn't really add to the size of the device as it's very slim.

A cheaper camera case will probably also do the job but I doubt you will get one that doesn't add to the size of the device which makes this one worth it for me. If you believe user reviews, then steer well clear of the leather case I mentioned above however, on Amazon there was not one person that bought one that said anything good about it...

On the subject of screen protection, I have quite long nails and I must confess I do use them to tap on the screen when I'm in the car, but it's never left a mark on the screen, perhaps if I was tapping repeatedly in the same spot then it might, but I get by without a sticky screen protector, it's more likely to get scratched in the glove box or where ever you keep it when it's not in use and a case will solve that....
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

I don't think that was a "screen protector" intended to be left on when the device was being used, but just to protect it during manufacture and shipping.
Just like the plastic sheeting you often get on tv remote controls and especially the Infra-red sensor windows on videos (but then I'm always peeling those off friends stuff after they've had it for years)

Your right Andy, it WAS just a screen to protect during delivery, as the one that came with the 730 is not clear, which is a pain.

The 910 one still worked a treat mind.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: