Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Truck mode for 520?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Truck mode for 520?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonutUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Truck mode for 520? Reply with quote

IS there such a thing?
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No

If you go to planning preferences you can choose "always use fastest route " which in theory should use more main roads
Drage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative would be to change the planning preference to a limited speed of e.g. 50 mph or whatever the maximum allowed speed for trucks is in your country.

If you set the preference to fastest route the TomTom would tend to favour longer routes on motorways over shorter routes on other roads, which may or may not be what you want in a truck.
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont go for limited speed as this still takes you shortest routes (Narrow roads) Fastest route takes you more major roads but still can take you down narrow roads !. Best thing to do is use the old trusty map BOOK using A roads & maybe B roads & let the tomtom guide you in the last 1 to 2 miles.
The tomtom is not Truck friendly, Im hoping that Tomtom can just make a piece of software to add on, as I cant see that it can be that hard to do as you already have the maps ?
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymart wrote:
Dont go for limited speed as this still takes you shortest routes (Narrow roads) Fastest route takes you more major roads but still can take you down narrow roads !. Best thing to do is use the old trusty map BOOK using A roads & maybe B roads & let the tomtom guide you in the last 1 to 2 miles.
The tomtom is not Truck friendly, Im hoping that Tomtom can just make a piece of software to add on, as I cant see that it can be that hard to do as you already have the maps ?

I dont care who makes it as long as there is some kind of add on software for trucks at some point that can inpire confidence in the route choosen would be suitable for trucks.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray-of-Sunshine wrote:
I dont care who makes it as long as there is some kind of add on software for trucks at some point that can inpire confidence in the route choosen would be suitable for trucks.

well, this is definately the right way to go: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=402004#402004

MaFt
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymart wrote
Quote:
Dont go for limited speed as this still takes you shortest routes (Narrow roads) Fastest route takes you more major roads but still can take you down narrow roads
Doesn't "Limited Speed" still use fastest routes but adjust your arrival time to suit the speed you've set. If not, I'm going to stop using it when I'm towing my caravan.
Drage
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
Doesn't "Limited Speed" still use fastest routes but adjust your arrival time to suit the speed you've set. If not, I'm going to stop using it when I'm towing my caravan.

Yes, Limited Speed still calculates the fastest route but the achievable speeds used in the calculations are capped at the speed you enter.

If you set the Limited Speed low enough, there might be no difference between fastest and shortest route.

Just made some tests on my GO 720 before posting this, and even with a Limited Speed of 40 km/h (the lowest it will accept) it still doesn't take me on the shortest route through some minor roads in my neighbourhood with a limit of 30 km/h (which is much slower than fastest route but saves me 100 meters).
mightymart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax wrote:
mightymart wrote
Quote:
Dont go for limited speed as this still takes you shortest routes (Narrow roads) Fastest route takes you more major roads but still can take you down narrow roads

I have a Tomtom one & setting limited speed to 50mph takes me the shortest route 90% of the time ??? What I normally do is always set it to fastest route (More truck friendly !) but if the journey takes "say an hour" just add another 15mins on to the journey time , 2hours add 30 mins extra & so on.
G4GVB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 'limited speed' and set it to 52 mph that works well when I'm driving the artic. I can have a 2 or 3 hour run and be there within a min or so.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: