Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Off Map GPX files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Off Map GPX files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Off Map GPX files Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to import a GPX file for a country other than the UK. I have been trying to load one for France. It seems to load OK via Satsync, but it never displays in the routes list on the A10? It does show as a .map file in Satsync.

Any clues as even with out the maps the waypoints and compass bearing would be usefull on an upcoming trip.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really not showing or just not showing the name you expect?

Satsync has this as a feature. You have to rename the file after loading it onto the A10 and restarting it.

But I haven't tried it for a non UK location.
Satsync 1.525
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it, what file name would it choose it it wasn't the one given to it on the PC?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route name should be the same as you saw on the PC, I have just created a Route around the area of Sangatte which displays fine on the active10, although this is the only section of landmass for France on the base map.
I have also tried a route further South which is shown against the blue/grey background, this works fine, it could be your GPX file is in the wrong format, there is more than one type of gpx file format but only one type will work correctly with SatSync and the active10 - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mikealder that the name should be as on the PC but this is not the case for me. I produce my GPX files in tracklogs and they import with no problem onto the A10 but all I get when I restart the A10 is a small A10 icon such as is shown before all tracks but then with no name. I have to edit the name of the file to give it one. This means that I only ever import one file at a time as otherwise I would end up even more confused than I am now.
Satsync 1.525
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but this doesn't work for me. I import the GPX file with Satsync. it says all is well and I end up with a .map file on the A10, which is visible with Satsync. But I get no routes in the routes list.

Any ideas?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
Sorry but this doesn't work for me. I import the GPX file with Satsync. it says all is well and I end up with a .map file on the A10, which is visible with Satsync. But I get no routes in the routes list. Any ideas?
Just a shot in the dark, but where did you get the original .gpx file from and how large is it? (Sorry if you've already stated this in an earlier post.) I've had problems with large files not showing up in the A10 Routes Menu and I suspect that the fact that it's visible in the SatSYNC window doesn't necessarily mean that SatSYNC has successfully converted the files into viable type .gpx files. Not all .gpx files are the same and the Satmap seems to be rather fussy as to which it can convert.
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride at:-

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Chanceaux-Medium

File is only 49kb is this too big?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.....

I downloaded the GPX file and viewed it in Tracklogs. I saw no map as I have no maps for the area but I did see the route and comments.

I then tried importing onto the A10 via Satsync. It reported that it had done it, and after a restart confirmed that it was on the A10 but the A10 could not see it at all. No name, no icon and not even a blank space on the route list.

So as I had wondered if the hyphen in the middle of the file name might be an issue I told it to import to a name without the hyphen (otherwise exactly the same file). It declined to do so saying that "This doesn't seem to be a valid GPX file"! Why it did not say this the first time around I don't know. I tried again with a slightly different file name and got the same response.

Infuriatingly this now leaves me with a file on my A10 that only Satsync can see but I cannot Delete! Any hints as to how I might do this would be welcome.

I then passed the file through GPSBabel (convert GPX XML to GPX XPML, filter transform Routes to Tracks) and imported onto the A10 under a new name. This again appeared to be successful but again failed to show on the A10 after the restart. So now I have two files on my A10 that can be seen by Satsync but cannot be deleted [edit - oops I forgot about the "delete file" button on the right of Satsync, so that problem is now solved!]. At this point I think I will give up experimenting and leave it to others for a while.

Maybe the next software upgrade will save us but I'm not planning to hold my breath.

Sorry roberthavey but I tried!
Satsync 1.525
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Off Map GPX files Reply with quote

I am no authority on gpx files but, if you look at the internals of a gpx route file exported by the A10 from a .map file, you will find that every entry with a lat/long is of the form:-

rtept ...some stuff including lat/long ... rtept

{Where I have left out some things that look like html tags}

None of the entries in the "Chanceaux-Medium.gpx" file is of this form. Presumably, therefore, the A10 does not see this as a "route file" (despite the message from SatSync when you import it). This file is actually just a list of way points.

However, if you import the file to the A10 and reboot the A10, you will find a new, unnamed, POI category and, if you choose one of these POIs and centre it on the map you will find them all visible!!!!!
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Map GPX files Reply with quote

djhpk wrote:
I am no authority on gpx files but, if you look at the internals of a gpx route file exported by the A10 from a .map file, you will find that every entry with a lat/long is of the form:-

rtept ...some stuff including lat/long ... rtept

{Where I have left out some things that look like html tags}

None of the entries in the "Chanceaux-Medium.gpx" file is of this form. Presumably, therefore, the A10 does not see this as a "route file" (despite the message from SatSync when you import it). This file is actually just a list of way points.

However, if you import the file to the A10 and reboot the A10, you will find a new, unnamed, POI category and, if you choose one of these POIs and centre it on the map you will find them all visible!!!!!

Lovely, thanks. I just need to find a way to convent them to routes. I'll dig around for XML editor or review some search and replacing.

Thanks a lot for your time.
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Off Map GPX files Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:

Quote:
Lovely, thanks. I just need to find a way to convent them to routes. I'll dig around for XML editor or review some search and replacing.

Why not import the file with the waypoints and then use the POIs thus generated to draw the route on the A10? You could then delete the POI category as you probably will not need it any more.
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Off Map GPX files Reply with quote

djhpk wrote:
robertharvey wrote:

Quote:

Why not import the file with the waypoints and then use the POIs thus generated to draw the route on the A10? You could then delete the POI category as you probably will not need it any more.

Sorted now thanks with a little help from a text editor, search and replace, and a bit of cribbing from a Memory Map export.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: