Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC Launch O2 XDA Diamond in Germany with TomTom v7!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC Launch O2 XDA Diamond in Germany with TomTom v7!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Neither would I want an O2 contracted phone as their data traffic access charges are the highest in the market if you go outside the "free limit" - even when you exceed the bolt on package O2 hammers your pocket, with the iFone O2 even wavered the GPRS access charges to entice customers in the UK.

What I'm wondering about is why nobody but T-Mobile US offers something like their unlimited web, data, SMS plan. On prepaid even, for just a $1 a day. Only drawback is they only offer it on Sidekicks, and you can't tether them to other devices, like a TomTom One.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wanting to drag this thread too far off topic on the issue of data traffic charges, T-Mobile UK do offer the £7,50 per calendar month unlimitted access via one of their sim cards - this is the best deal I can find in the UK for heavy data traffic without a doubt.
Fortunately the O2 XDA Orbit-2 I use can accept the T-Mobile card without any problems, (The 02 account is against the phone the wife uses) - a simple swap of sim cards was all that was required - Mike
Goober556
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually O2 UK now do a real 'unlimited' data bolt-on for £7.50 per month. It did have a 200 meg limit but that has been removed from the T&C's.

www.o2.co.uk/termsconditions/tariffsandboltons0153

The T-Mobile similar deal has a limit of 1 or 2 gig, I can't remember.

O2 also do a £1 per day deal as well.
Bartmanekul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom are obviously missing a trick, I cant see many people buying a phone for tomtom, even the Symbian platform has lots of possibilities out now.

Its going to give free reign to nokia to pimp their maps app, which is steadily gaining progress and its getting better too.

Its set to boom in mobile phones, and limiting it to one model/manufactorer wont do much for them at all.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...looks like it does have microSD memory support.

HTC definitely is not the best in keeping its secrets. In addition to the previous information on the Diamond and Raphael, here come the new high-resolution photos of the former. It is not only piano black, but its back has a Diamond pattern, to remind of its name. The Italian site, mentions some of its specifications, but as it is not officially announced yet, we cannot guarantee they are correct. It is said to be a global GSM/3G (HSDPA 7.2Mbps) Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional smartphone with 2.8" VGA display, 3-megapixel camera and additional VGA one for video calling. The internal memory is 4GB with microSD slot for expansion, thechipset is Qualcomm MSM7201 with processor running at 528 MHz and it features Bluetooth v2.0, WiFi, aGPS and FM radio. An innovation for HTC is a sensor controlling the orientation of the display. All this is claimed to be packed into dimensions of 99 x 51 x 10.7 mm (3.9 x 2 x 0.42 inches).
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did that "press release" come from? I still don't think this device has the edge over yesterday's technology to be honest, and I have grave concerns over the battery life if you use it for internet access.

About the only part of that devices design I do actually like is the Stealth Fighter (aka F117 style appearance with the strange angular moulding for the rear case and Black finish, sure VGA is nice, but with a 2,8" screen I fail to see how it could be realistically used without a microscope in true VGA mode - imagine everything 4 times smaller on your Tytn-II - Mike
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs are quite tempting, until you see it has a lame 2.8" screen.

That kills it for me.

I'll stick with my Kaiser for a while, ta.
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sausages wrote:
The specs are quite tempting, until you see it has a lame 2.8" screen.

That kills it for me.....

And the miserable 900 mAh battery!
Not sure how that's going to last with a phone of this spec and a power-hungry VGA screen.

And I still can't see in any of the official specs that it supports micro-SD. Looks like you are stuck with 4Gb internal memory and that's it!
Also makes it difficult to install other navigation software that comes pre-installed on a card difficult, doesn't it?

No sir, no thanks.

.....but of course the new HTC mega-phone that comes out just before Christmas will resolve all these issues and promise lots more features!

Reteb
(moan over)
sausages
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reteb wrote:
.....but of course the new HTC mega-phone that comes out just before Christmas will resolve all these issues and promise lots more features!

HTC Megaphone ? here's the latest pics of it http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50255395/Orange_White_Megaphone_with_Emergency_Alarm__M_1DA1_.jpg

Only kidding Very Happy do you have any more information on the new phone ? Link ?
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the easy to use volume control!
Not too sure about the orange colour. Do they do it in black?
and ooh! err! would it impress the girls if I kept it in my pocket?!!

sausages wrote:
do you have any more information on the new phone ? Link ?

Just guessing.... new phones are always announced just before summer holidays and just before Christmas.
And they always promise more than you actually get....
And they always turn up later than was promised...
iainmoody
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: new XDA Diamond Reply with quote

But have these HTC Chappies actually considered us poor mortals who have a need to own a mobile phone with a Line 1 & Line 2 option, like my good old Nokia 6310i that I use at the moment? It's a great phone but has none of the modern facilities, come on HTC, why not try something new and market a phone with a 2 Line Option, typically one for business & one for private use, like a few million of us in the UK want. Your kit has everything else..........but none of your currect phones have a 2 Line Option....c'mon....get a grip!....must do better next time seems to ring a bell?
seikoman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: new XDA Diamond Reply with quote

iainmoody wrote:
But have these HTC Chappies actually considered us poor mortals who have a need to own a mobile phone with a Line 1 & Line 2 option, like my good old Nokia 6310i that I use at the moment? It's a great phone but has none of the modern facilities, come on HTC, why not try something new and market a phone with a 2 Line Option, typically one for business & one for private use, like a few million of us in the UK want. Your kit has everything else..........but none of your currect phones have a 2 Line Option....c'mon....get a grip!....must do better next time seems to ring a bell?

All I want is a WM6.1, GPS enabled, line 2 option, 3g mobile with a memory card slot I can get to without removing the battery. A flash for the camera (4mp) would be nice too!!!

Anyone know of one???
ZenithUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: new XDA Diamond Reply with quote

iainmoody wrote:
I have an O2 XDA Orbit 2 and use a dual-SIM adapter, much like the one this guy used...
http://1024k.de/dualsim/dual-sim-adapter.html

I have an O2 personal SIM and an Orange work SIM. Yes, I've had to trim the chips to fit the adapter but the upshot is that I can switch from one to the other in about 10 secs. If I'm on O2, I hold the "end call" button for 3 secs and choose "Turn Airplane mode on". Then I hold the "end call" button again for 3 more secs and choose "Turn airplane mode off". Now I'm on Orange.
Okay, it isn't two simultaneous lines, but if you set one of them (in my case Orange) to forward to the other, you can sit on one SIM and receive calls for both.
lettice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just installed the 6.1 win mobile update supplied from htc on my htc tytn 11, and tomtom works fine
hope they give us the tomtom upgrade soon too Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also rumours that T-Mobile are soon to release the MDA Vario - IV this is the badged HTC Raphael which looks like a "grown up" version of the Diamond.
You get the slide out keyboard, and the all important memory card slot, decent spec unit but will it come with TTN7 - time will tell, I only hope TomTom do not restrict the TTN7 to just the Diamond - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: