Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - London Address
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

London Address
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:06 am    Post subject: London Address Reply with quote

I have the iCN630 complete with SmartST software; a couple of things I have found; no listing for Royal London Hospital on whitechapel road, and when trying to find whitfield street using postcode does not recognise W1T 4 and lists no house/building no's. This makes this particular road difficult as the road is over 3/4 blocks with the last block one way.

Discovered this tonight followed whitfield street from grafton rd no problem, til I realised that I had travelled the last block the wrong way Smile glad it was at night, no one about Smile
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I managed to find Whitfield Street straight away by typing 'London' as the area and 'Whitfield Street' for the road. This came up as 'Whitfied Street, Camden'.
It is shown as one way from Warren St towards Howland St then one way in the opposite direction from Totenham street towards Howland St. Is this correct?

Assuming you calculated a route, the navigation should not have sent you against the flow of traffic, if it did then there is a mapping error.
geaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I came in from grafton way (not road) Sad I know the unit told me to turn left on to whitfield street, that was ok until I got to the junction with howland street, and I proceeded to go straight on. My own fault as I was too busy looking at building no's, but when i realised what I had done I turned round carried on down whitfield street after howland st the wrong way, as 60 was closer to warren st.

However saying that the unit so far has performed excellent, except now the in car cable has decided not to work Sad
geaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I came in from grafton way (not road) Sad I know the unit told me to turn left on to whitfield street, that was ok until I got to the junction with howland street, and I proceeded to go straight on. My own fault as I was too busy looking at building no's, but when i realised what I had done I turned round carried on down whitfield street after howland st the wrong way, as 60 was closer to warren st.

However saying that the unit so far has performed excellent, except now the in car cable has decided not to work Sad
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greaves wrote:
However saying that the unit so far has performed excellent, except now the in car cable has decided not to work

Yes it is good however the postcode search leaves a lot to be desired and the POI database is pretty sparse (I'd like to know what this "vast database of amenities" library does have)
Other than that i cant complain.
geaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes it is good however the postcode search leaves a lot to be desired

Yes I agree especially as W1T i.e whitfield st postcode is not listed.

Excellent service from Global Positioning Systems, phoned yesterday 3:30 new cable arrived special delivery this morning. Thumbs Up

Quote:
the POI database is pretty sparse

Well yes, I do courier work for National Blood and 'the' main hospital in London, Royal London on whitechapel rd is not listed Sad

The best one is travelling on the new A120 from stansted to braintree, there you are travelling across this grey expanse, and the message at the bottom reads 'Find nearest road' :D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes I agree especially as W1T i.e whitfield st postcode is not listed.

This could be another case where Navman hasn't caught up with postcode changes. I think it was EC1.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it now. It's listed under W1P 5!! Rolling Eyes
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon

I've been following this thread with interest and have been trying to mirror Geaves' routes on my iCN 630. It's not easy is it Exclamation It makes you realise, living in a comparitively rural area, how frustrating it must when you have difficulty in programming routes in a place like London.

Now forgive my ignorance Embarassed but I have a question Exclamation

Having scrolled through the screen I have come across some roads which appear 'blacked out'. For instance, a street called Gorden Street, Camden, off of Euston Road, and similarly further along Euston Road is Dukes Road. I've not come across this before.

Does anyone have an explanation as to why these roads are shown in black please Question

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlfieB wrote:
Having scrolled through the screen I have come across some roads which appear 'blacked out'. For instance, a street called Gorden Street, Camden, off of Euston Road, and similarly further along Euston Road is Dukes Road. I've not come across this before.

Yes, you are right but on the PDA version, these roads are purple.
I have seen grey roads before which I assumed to be pedestrian or no access roads but not the purple ones?
There are seven of these roads off Euston Road on my version. The software will route down these roads.

I have sent a screenshot to Navman asking for clarification on this.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
Yes, you are right but on the PDA version, these roads are purple. I have seen grey roads before which I assumed to be pedestrian or no access roads but not the purple ones?

Some of the grey roads are actual roads, but you are correct in that the software won't route down them. They do 'lock on' to them, though.
AlfieB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just carried out a similar search using our iCN630 with the V1 Software/ NavTech maps, and using the POI menu:

Cat:Medical Services
Type:Hospital/Polyclinic
Area: London,

It shows a list of 22 Hospitals and the Royal London Hospital is there. :D

But no way could I locate the 2 roads which I mentioned earlier, nor were there any indications of blacked out roads. Confused

I'm convinced that V2 software is better but Navman / TeleAtlas need to do some work in ironing out the problems.

Regards

alfieB Thumbs Up

Navman iCN630

Navman N60i

Navman Mio S505

Navman Mio Spirit 695 LM

Mio Spirit 7670 LM Truck
geaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having scrolled through the screen I have come across some roads which appear 'blacked out'. For instance, a street called Gorden Street, Camden, off of Euston Road, and similarly further along Euston Road is Dukes Road.

On my Navman these are black and would agree with icsys that these are pedestrian or no access. The Navman also displays light grey roads, these I have learnt to be private or part of a complex i.e hospital. Close to Euston Road is the Queen Elizabeth Garret Hospital the map shows a number of roads in light grey, these are part of the hospital complex and as such do not have road names.

Look up Throgmorton Ave city of london, this is a private road it's owned by a master guild (can't remember which one) but there is no vehicular access for the public, so whilst you may get routed to the road you would not get access unless on business, the road is gated complete with gatekeeper. Smile
geaves
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It shows a list of 22 Hospitals and the Royal London Hospital is there

Is that the Royal London on Whitechapel Road E1 1BB [/quote]
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a search for the Royal London Hospital (I did'nt before I just concentrated on the road issue) and I just noticed something.
Searching the POI for:

Cat:Medical Services
Type:Hospital/Polyclinic
Area: London,

It found 40 listed alphabetically. But only from A to E ??
So I typed 'Royal' in the Name box at the top and tapped it....
I then got a revised list of 12 starting with Royal Brompton Hospital.
The Royal London Homeopathic Hospital Camden, London was listed.
I wonder is this the correct hospital? Tapping 'show' revealed it as being on Great Ormond St.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: