Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Software Bug
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Software Bug
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexPerry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Quote:
I look forward to the patch but on the assumption that it may not be wise to hold my breath, do you (or anyone else) know what triggers this so that I can try to avoid it in the interim?

I've just had exactly this problem happening and also spoken to Richard at Satmap - the new patch should be available next week
The actual problem is (apparently) CE keeps a reference in memory of every point that you've visited on the map - This includes points on inactive routes! if displayed. It only really shows itself if you use a large map (My 1:50,000 GB South does this) when unit quickly runs out of memory and just hangs.
If you switch off the grey snail trails and don't jump around the map too much then it avoids this problem (a small price if the wait is only a week!)

Alex
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexPerry wrote:
LostMike wrote:
Quote:
... do you (or anyone else) know what triggers this so that I can try to avoid it in the interim?
... The actual problem is (apparently) CE keeps a reference in memory of every point that you've visited on the map - this includes points on inactive routes if displayed. If you switch off the grey snail trails and don't jump around the map too much then it avoids this problem .. Alex
I think it might happen even if you have it set to "Hide inactive routes" - it did to me. But I've been out with my A10 this morning with no routes pre-loaded and used it for over four hours without a single hitch. I was using a 900k square 1:25,000 SD card though, instead of my more usual 1:50,000 GB South one.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a new problem as I did not attempt this on the old software but I have found that the trip log has been reset without my knowing.

I started a walk with a clean trip log (all data reset) and no routes active. The aim was to walk over a route shown by an "inactive" snail trail. However after a while I found the grey hard to read and thought I would activate it. It was easier to read but appears to have cleared the trip log and restarted it. Also the track created by my final convert trail to track does not appear to convert to a readable file in Tracklogs (which they normally do). When I view the converted detailed gpx file it is visible but starts where I activated the route.

I hope that is adequately clear as I find it a bit confusing.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong or is it a bug?
Satsync 1.525
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexPerry wrote:

The actual problem is (apparently) CE keeps a reference in memory of every point that you've visited on the map
Alex

CE won't do this. This will be the application which Satmap have written to run on CE. If this is a RAM issue then there is a good chance that periodic power off's will clear the RAM. However not much better than removing the batteries when it hangs.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
... I have found that the trip log has been reset without my knowing. I started a walk with a clean trip log (all data reset) and no routes active. The aim was to walk over a route shown by an "inactive" snail trail. However after a while I found the grey hard to read and thought I would activate it. It was easier to read but appears to have cleared the trip log and restarted it.
There is an option in Settings, Route Control called Auto Reset Log - this offers:"Keep Log on New Route" or "Clear Log on New Route". I should imagine that, if your unit was set to the latter, simply making a route "Active" would count as a new route and would clear the Trip Log (and therefore the recorded track, since you obviously wouldn't have converted the track up to that point.)
LostMike wrote:
... Also the track created by my final convert trail to track does not appear to convert to a readable file in Tracklogs (which they normally do).
I can't comment on this since I don't have Tracklogs.
LostMike wrote:
...When I view the converted detailed gpx file it is visible but starts where I activated the route.
I think this would fit the circumstances I've set out above and is what I would expect.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done PloddinPedro. Give that man a route to walk......

The settings were as you suggested. I had thought that as I was asked about resetting the data when I set something manually it would ask be if I did something else that would reset it. But no. Ho hum.. At least thanks to that wonderful PloddinPedro I can now go on my way with more assurance.

Thanks.
Satsync 1.525
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Slow User Interface Reply with quote

I had a similar problem on a recent walk. The A10 got slower and slower to respond to key presses, as I continued the walk. At the end taking 10S to turn the screen on from a key press.

When I got home in the evening (A10 switched off while driving) the User Interface had speeded up again. I had not deleted any route information however.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Slow User Interface Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
I had a similar problem on a recent walk. The A10 got slower and slower to respond to key presses, as I continued the walk. At the end taking 10S to turn the screen on from a key press. When I got home in the evening (A10 switched off while driving) the User Interface had speeded up again. I had not deleted any route information however. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
My experience is similar though a little different. I loaded a 61 mile cycle route and set it to "Active" and set off to follow it. After about 15 miles I stopped to input a POI; I attempted to edit this POI's name and description and found the A10 very sluggish in its response to each keypress - picking out the letters and entering them was taking several seconds per character. I closed the POI and re-set the unit to "No route active" and everything immediately speeded up, back to normal. Those forum members with more technical understanding might be able to suggest what might explain this, but I sense that it has to do with the allocation of memory between CPU activity - e.g the editing of POI data and whatever is going on when a route is "active" - and file sizes. I think the Satmap people have been surprised by the size of some of the files cyclists have loaded and I'm not sure exactly what the A10 can handle in this respect.

Incidently, apart from changing the colour of a route on the map displays, has anyone any idea of what else "activating" a route does? I don't do geo-caching or fancy navigating involving the compass, etc. and I haven't played around with any features other than simple route following, so I may be missing something.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro asked
Quote:
has anyone any idea of what else "activating" a route does?

I have not run a check but I think it shows the next point to be reached as blue and gives distance and direction to it.

But I could be wrong.
Satsync 1.525
chrisabel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've just come back from doing the West Highland Way and had a somewhat frustrating experience with the A10. I had set a route for each day and this was duly tracked by the satellite but towards the end of the walk the device tended to hang up. Often a warning symptom was the slugginess of the panning/zooming or pressing of the buttons. But I also noticed that the hang up would coincide with the battery meter losing a segment indicating the battery life remaining. The routes for the other days were set as inactive. As a result of the hang ups, I lost the trail data which was infuriating especially when I was near the end of the walk! Also the A10 tended to hang everytime the GPS signal was lost. This happened under heavy cloud cover or within a wood. The only thing that would get the A10 to work was to take out and reinsert the lipol battery. Has this happened to anyone else? When I returned home I found from satsync that there was a 'GPS filter' item on my A10 which was 16 MB in size! Any idea what the GPS filter is and what it does? Would that be responsible for the freezing/slugginess of the A10? I'm going on the Coast to Coast at the end of this month and am keen to have the A10 running perfectly this time! So any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. I will also be speaking to Satmap. Many thanks
chrisabel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I've just come back from doing the West Highland Way and had a somewhat frustrating experience with the A10. I had set a route for each day and this was duly tracked by the satellite but towards the end of the walk the device tended to hang up. Often a warning symptom was the slugginess of the panning/zooming or pressing of the buttons. But I also noticed that the hang up would coincide with the battery meter losing a segment indicating the battery life remaining. The routes for the other days were set as inactive. As a result of the hang ups, I lost the trail data which was infuriating especially when I was near the end of the walk! Also the A10 tended to hang everytime the GPS signal was lost. This happened under heavy cloud cover or within a wood. The only thing that would get the A10 to work was to take out and reinsert the lipol battery. Has this happened to anyone else? When I returned home I found from satsync that there was a 'GPS filter' item on my A10 which was 16 MB in size! Any idea what the GPS filter is and what it does? Would that be responsible for the freezing/slugginess of the A10? I'm going on the Coast to Coast at the end of this month and am keen to have the A10 running perfectly this time! So any advice you can offer would be much appreciated. I will also be speaking to Satmap. Many thanks
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisabel wrote:
I had set a route for each day and this was duly tracked by the satellite but towards the end of the walk the device tended to hang up. Often a warning symptom was the slugginess of the panning/zooming or pressing of the buttons. But I also noticed that the hang up would coincide with the battery meter losing a segment indicating the battery life remaining. The routes for the other days were set as inactive. As a result of the hang ups, I lost the trail data which was infuriating especially when I was near the end of the walk! Also the A10 tended to hang everytime the GPS signal was lost. This happened under heavy cloud cover or within a wood. The only thing that would get the A10 to work was to take out and reinsert the lipol battery. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes. Many times. A software patch is supposed to be imminent. There seems to be an issue with loading routes, especially larger ones.
chrisabel wrote:
...When I returned home I found from satsync that there was a 'GPS filter' item on my A10 which was 16 MB in size! Any idea what the GPS filter is and what it does?
I don't recall seeing this in mine. I can't check at present because my SatSYNC connection has failed. Was it in the internal memory or on the mapSD card?
chrisabel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the GPS filter was in the internal memory but only seen within satsync. Have copied it on to the PC and its showing as a note pad document containing lots of numbers, e.g. one line would show as:

1332079542,-48402855,6,55,1,324,83,1253919419,-17679119,1253919419,-17679119,47648829,202659,

I'm guessing that would be some kind of GPS tracking co-ordinates??
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisabel wrote:
Yes the GPS filter was in the internal memory but only seen within satsync. Have copied it on to the PC and its showing as a note pad document containing lots of numbers, e.g. one line would show as: 1332079542,-48402855,6,55,1,324,83,1253919419,-17679119,1253919419,-17679119,47648829,202659, I'm guessing that would be some kind of GPS tracking co-ordinates??
Baffling. How long have you had your A10? Which software version are you running? (Go to Settings, then About - it should say Version 1.16 or later.)
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Yes. Many times. A software patch is supposed to be imminent. There seems to be an issue with loading routes, especially larger ones.

Can you quantify what 'larger' is/means ? 20miles ? 30/40 or more ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: