Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Rumour Mill: 3G iPhone to have GPS built-in?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumour Mill: 3G iPhone to have GPS built-in?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand v2.0 will have MS Push technology and it will be available for existing handsets so we're some of the way there Smile
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmh I'd heard that Push Email was available, but one problem I have found is that the current iPhone OS does not support or like self signed certificates. I tried setting up iMAP over SSL and discovered the above problem...

We'll need to be careful, this thread is becoming an iPhone discussion, and nothing to do with GPS.....
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmph,

I've worked in the cellular industry in R&D for years and I can tell you the 2G iphone was very poor from a radio perspective, I don't expect that the 3G will launch in much better state.

As for push email! Ever heard of BlackBerry! They were there at the beginning have the network infrastructure to support it and no-one has ever come close to meeting or beating it.

Until Apple iron out the bugs - at least 6 months with a new product! You might as well go for the blackberrys that have had GPS AND Wifi for over a year and if the rumours are true (see boygenius blogs) are about to come out with a new device with all this and more and HSDPA!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an 8800 Blackberry here and yes it is excellent at email. But that's it. The browser is poor and none of the GPS applications were much cop.

Yes if you want push email as your primary feature then BB every time, but for me there are many other compelling reasons and I'm very happy with my iPhone.

I do agree that it's radio is not as sensitive but I can live with that.
apskinner
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that the Blackberry browser uses high compression techniques that mean that you spend less on your data plan?

That the typical email download for a whole months corporate usage is typically <1Mb (excluding attachments).

That the BB Maps are free, are pulled off a server so are always up to date (without subscription)

And if you look at the 9000 that is touted for release soon and on all the smartphone forums that the UI is amazing. And the WiFi speeds when measured against the competitors are much higher

If all you want to do is watch a few (expensively) downloaded movies, be tied into the (microsoft-like) monopoly that is Apple (don't believe the hype about open apps interface) then yes stick to the iphone, but it'll be short lived toy Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apskinner wrote:
Did you know that the Blackberry browser uses high compression techniques that mean that you spend less on your data plan?

That the typical email download for a whole months corporate usage is typically <1Mb (excluding attachments).

My data as is an 'all you can eat' plan. The browser is still poor though!
Quote:
That the BB Maps are free, are pulled off a server so are always up to date (without subscription)

As I said, I have an 8800 so know all of this. It doesn't change the fact that the app is pretty poor though as are all the other mapping options available.
Quote:
And if you look at the 9000 that is touted for release soon and on all the smartphone forums that the UI is amazing. And the WiFi speeds when measured against the competitors are much higher

If all you want to do is watch a few (expensively) downloaded movies, be tied into the (microsoft-like) monopoly that is Apple (don't believe the hype about open apps interface) then yes stick to the iphone, but it'll be short lived toy Smile

This thread is not here to generate a debate about which is better. Horses for courses, I like the BB but prefer the iPhone, simple as that.
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apskinner wrote:

This is a very one sided statement.

There is nothing expensive about an unlocked iphone on the right plan. The iphone does compress web pages when not on wifi. The microsoft monopoly you speak of is currently controlled by the users who are developing there own software, and soon to be joined by the SDK developers. I still can't put my year old short lived toy down.

IMHO this is a poinless comparison as they both have their pros and cons. It sounds a bit like the MAC v PC debate all over again.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: