Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Poor quality FM transmitter on TomTom 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor quality FM transmitter on TomTom 520
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GAZ2785
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Poor quality FM transmitter on TomTom 520 Reply with quote

I have just upgraded my TomTom ONE for a 520.

However the FM transmitter seems extremely poor. No matter what station I use, there is hissing and crackling. There are mixed results with the power cable plugged in and unplugged, but it's just not possible to get reasonable quality sound.

Is this just the way it is? I have a Jaguar X-type which doesn't have a radio antenna (I think it uses the rear window heater instead) which maybe doesn't help.

To be honest the sound quality and handsfree bluetooth isn't great either, which is making me wish I'd just stuck to the TomTom ONE.

If anyone could offer any advice I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's pretty poor
For me, at its best, it is "bordering on usable", but even then it is VERY quiet compared to any broadcast station.

Luckily I have a 3.5mm jack input on the front of my car radio so I use the line output ogf the Go, which is FAR better quality.
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it might also have a bearing on things where the radio antenna is [As suggest by the OP]

I've just changed from a Ford Focus [Arial located central front of roof just before windscreen] to a Citroen [Ariel located at the back of the roof]

The difference is amazing Sad Amazingly bad Sad Sad

It's still useable, but any cross interference is causing problems much much quicker.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used it once, with a Garmin 660, just to demonstrate how bad it is (it's worse in towns like London where the FM band is crowded). We tuned the 660 into the owners home stereo.

I move one pace and the signal had gone.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is poor... I listened to it for about 10 seconds then went straight on the internet and ordered an MK6000 (which works OK, with a little tweaking).

I think the theory is sound but it suffers from the fact that the car antenna is on the outside of the car, so you'd need a stronger transmitter to do it properly.
GAZ2785
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am taking this unit back tomorrow for the following reasons:

1) FM transmitter is poor

2) Bluetooth is ok but not great

3) Voice distorts horrendously when running off battery and volume is at 100%

4) On my way home today the screen started flickering and there were crackling sounds - this was 20 minutes before I was warned the battery was running low. My old TomTom ONE never had this problem even when the battery started running low.

5) The voice recognition is a gimmick - you can only use it to programme an address in one way, that's all it's for and it'd be just as quick to type.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAZ2785 wrote:
Well I am taking this unit back tomorrow for the following reasons:

1. My FM is perfect, excellent reception on 88.0 FM (except in London where I occasionally get slight interference). Radio aerial top centre of windscreen, above TT GO.
2. Bluetooth is fine. I did originally have nightmares with it, but since fixing it with a Format and Checkdisk, I've had complete satisfaction.
3. and 4. How you can expect to run these things on battery alone I just don't understand. They give you a ciggy lighter adaptor, use it!
5. Agreed. (Except I don't agree it'd be as quick to type - what you CAN do with it is quicker than typing. Just a shame it's so limited it's useless!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry you've had a duff experience with the 520. I must be one of the lucky ones, as I find FM transmition very clear and at good volume; and bluetooth works well too.

I can't agree that voice recognition is just a gimmick. I frequently have to change course or travel via a particular place in my job, and processing an alternative route via vr is for me a whole lot safer and easier than trying to punch in characters or aim at a town selection on screen while driving along.

Hope you get sorted with something that's right for you, anyway.
GAZ2785
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm not expecting to run it off battery alone, however I don't expect the screen to flicker and it to start to crackle and pop 20 minutes before I even see a low battery warning.

My old TomTom ONE would either work perfectly, or it'd run out of battery and switch off. They'de be no crackle and popping as the battery started to run out.

I don't think the FM transmitter is ever going to be any good for me because the Jaguar X-type does not have an antenna (I think it uses the rear screen heater).

The reason I say the voice recognition is a gimmick is because you have to enter TOWN, STREET and POSTCODE. What happens if you want to enter a city centre? Or a postcode? Or a POI? Personally I think it's too limited.

I have accepted the FM transmitter and voice recognition is what it is, but I am wondering whether to swap the unit due to the crackling and popping, and the fact you can't have the volume at 100% when running from battery (even fully charged). Although I've heard other people have had these problems so maybe it's a design fault in general?
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAZ2785 wrote:

The reason I say the voice recognition is a gimmick is because you have to enter TOWN, STREET and POSTCODE. What happens if you want to enter a city centre? Or a postcode? Or a POI? Personally I think it's too limited.

It annoys me you can't use a favourite, but the thing that kills it for me is you still have to navigate menus to initiate it.. That's getting dodgy legally (if you can lose your license for operating a simple mobile phone the rozzers arent going to look kindly on negotiating the menu system of a satnav whilst driving!).

The bluetooth really does work reasonably well, although the TT software is buggy out of the box (it's hardcoded to recognise only a limited number of bluetooth devices.. luckily the code is GPL and reasonably easy to modify). Its quality isn't as good as a direct connection but is plenty for a voice prompt (plus you get the ability to interrupt the in-car stereo whch FM doesn't give you).

Battery really isn't an issue - I cant see a reason for ever using a TT without power in a car.. they don't last long enough anyway for any serious journeys - couple of hours tops on the new ones (I used to get 4 hours on my old One so I can see where you're coming from).

I also see distortion on full volume if using the internal speakers.. they seem to be lower quality than my old 910 which could really be quite loud without distorting (although I'd generally no go over 80% with it - it didn't need it).

To be honest I think your current problems can be worked around.. I've never had a TT that there wasn't something I disliked about it, but a little creative tweaking always worked around it.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyHoyle wrote:
The bluetooth really does work reasonably well, although the TT software is buggy out of the box (it's hardcoded to recognise only a limited number of bluetooth devices.. luckily the code is GPL and reasonably easy to modify). Its quality isn't as good as a direct connection but is plenty for a voice prompt (plus you get the ability to interrupt the in-car stereo whch FM doesn't give you).
Now I'm an ignoramus, but this sounds to me like you are somebody that a lot of us are looking for. If you've got some magic way of jiggling the Bluetooth operations, we want to hear from you - not a lot of people have succeeded in making bluetooth transmit to their in-car trannies, d'you mean to say you have done it and simply by messing with code? I don't understand a word about coding, but there are some here who do, so let's be hearing a bit from you please - perhaps if appropriate, you could start a new topic entitled "How to make your TomTom pair with your in-car Stereo"??

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
reefman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my findings since taking delivery of my 520 a couple of days ago

fm transmitter - yes it could be louder but its certainly in my experience lound enough and the reception in my car a c-max (roof ariel central front) is great and as good as a stand alone fm transmitter that I already had. I did have to try a few differnt frequencies to get the best signal but I'm set up on 101 now.

Bluetooth - works fine with my LG Viewty although not listed as compatible- for calls at least - I cant seem to get it to get numbers from my phone - does anyone know a way of transferring the data other than Bluetooth
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reefman - Try this

In the contacts folder create a file called 'contacts.txt'

Each line for a new contact in the following format :-

"PERSONS NAMES", "0123456790", "DEFAULT"

Save as a plan .txt file.

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the numbers and contacts off the phone and on to the PC then you can make use of the spreadsheet we have available for download within the forum.
This creates a file that can be put on the TomTom which will then display all your contacts, the speadsheet can be found Here - Mike
reefman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Very Happy Now jsut to find out how to get the data off the Viewty the synch software isnt geat - now theres a suprise

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: