Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do you have your navigator in your car all the time
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you have your navigator in your car all the time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wigfield
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Do you have your navigator in your car all the time Reply with quote

Couldn't fit all the title in so

Do you have to navigator in your car all the time even when you know where you are going

Ive only just started to put mine in my car even when i know where im going,It really only came out during the summer but i found it its not a good idea just to store them away for a long period
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will typically have 2 or 3 devices in the car with me where ever I am going, this caused a good laugh last Wednesday. We left the NEC and drove "blind" looking for a pub for a spot of lunch, eventually we found one and had to ask the barman where we were! I knew we were in Birmingham but not too sure of the exact location.

Yes, I know I should have the Pub POI category loaded to at least one device, a little like bolting the stable door after the horse has gone - Mike
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always have mine on and a route selected just so that I can get camera warnings. I have been driving up and down the A2 for nearly 30 years and I tend to go into autopilot mode so the camera warnings keep me aware, otherwise I would still be doing 70 when I go through the camera after the limit has changed to 50. Driving

theripper
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I have at least one in-car and on at all times. If nothing else it functions in speed camera alert mode.
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use mine once or twice a month, the rest of the time it is in a draw. Will be wearing it out next week, off to the Isle of Wight.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's only in the car when I go on holiday, day trips to unfamiliar places or if I'm out verifying.

Quote:
I always have mine on and a route selected just so that I can get camera warnings
I had warnings on TTN5 when no route was set, same with iGO 2006+. Have you tried without setting a route?
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use mine all the time if i'm going more than a few miles.

TTG serves as my MP3 Player and Handsfree. It's also usefull for the cameras.

And on at least 3 occasions over the years i've had to make sudden changes to normal routes [Accidents ect ect] and the unit has been a real help!

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three on all the time, 1/4 mile or 400. I think I'd feel naked or threatened without them. Only one issuing nav instructions though since Vera protested it was worse than a bus load of back seat drivers. All three have different camera sets - #6 has TomTom set for laughs, 920 has pgpsw speed zoned set, ONE has TT and my pgpsw verification set.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
wiz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
I always have mine on and a route selected just so that I can get camera warnings. I have been driving up and down the A2 for nearly 30 years and I tend to go into autopilot mode so the camera warnings keep me aware, otherwise I would still be doing 70 when I go through the camera after the limit has changed to 50. Driving

theripper

Same as theripper (after just 20 years I'm still a boy) autopilot could get you in trouble just as I set off for home I'm there without remembering a thing, no I haven't got a time machine just a silver VW Golf (flying machine).......... Very Happy I also listen to music and TTN instruction from My PDA through an FM transmitter on the car radio sound good............... Driving
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tend not to use mine of I'm just travelling locally.

If I'm on a motorway journey I'm familiar with I still tend to use the GPS as it gives me a reminder of how far away the next junction is, useful for deciding whether to get ready to leave at exit or get round some slower vehicles.

Came to mind the other day how much easier it is now with my TT to help me. Spent many years trying to find locations in UK and Europe with a fag packet map and dodgy instructions. Much less stress now when I drive somewhere new. Thumbs Up

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest research shows that SatNav increase the likelyhood of an accident (incident), however less so than driving in unfamiliar roads. The advice is to not use them when driving on familiar roads....

I moved cities a year ago, and find that I am now better to turn my Satnav off when traveling around town, and use it when I get lost. I find that my situational awarness is near zip when I use the sat nav, so am not learning routes and landmarks around my city. I get completely lost when people talk about where things are -It's kinda embarrasing not knowing the name of the main street in town. An interesting depencency developing that the Marketing guys are delited about.

My advise would be don't use the Satnav unless you need it. You could either go cold turkey or wean yourself off it - cold turkey is probably more successful.

Speed cameras and Traffic warnings are (more than) useful though, you may want to keep it for those.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
Latest research shows that SatNav increase the likelyhood of an accident (incident), however less so than driving in unfamiliar roads. The advice is to not use them when driving on familiar roads....

I moved cities a year ago, and find that I am now better to turn my Satnav off when traveling around town, and use it when I get lost. I find that my situational awarness is near zip when I use the sat nav, so am not learning routes and landmarks around my city. I get completely lost when people talk about where things are -It's kinda embarrasing not knowing the name of the main street in town. An interesting depencency developing that the Marketing guys are delited about.

My advise would be don't use the Satnav unless you need it. You could either go cold turkey or wean yourself off it - cold turkey is probably more successful.

Speed cameras and Traffic warnings are (more than) useful though, you may want to keep it for those.

I couldn't disagree more. If your "situational awareness" is that bad when using a satnav you're following it blindly and likely to join those idiots in a river or on a railway line! A satnav is a tool, and it doesn't mean you can disengage your brain when using one. If I'm in an area I know I will often ignore the instructions, because I know a quicker, safer or more pleasant route.

Rather than not knowing the name of the main street I know the names of far more of my local roads, especially the country lanes, since my TomTom has been announcing them.

And as Johnny_D says, you never know when the route you intended to take will be blocked, and it's useful to have the satnav to help you divert.
Samsung Galaxy S21
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Anita. Mine let me take Grandson Jack to Jack's Lane and only last Wednesday I was delighted to drive along Stoneage Lane, which was so narrow I'd have been in trouble if a dinosaur had been coming the opposite way.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will usually have mine in the car for two reasons:

1) if there's a delay, the ETA on the GPS usually doesn't change drastically, hence it stops panic setting in if you're against a deadline

2) if you're faced with a detour, you can keep an eye on the road whilst your GPS keeps an eye on where you're going and may take you along roads you never knew existed Laughing

It just gives a little peace of mind
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i don't have a pnd in the car then i have either igo8 or copilot 7 on the phone running.

i don't use it for navigation unless there's traffic then i'll get a route done (saves me thinking and even after living in bradford 28 years there's still little shortcuts i never knew about Wink). they also function as camera warnings. in-built poi's pretty much suck though so a quick google is often required if i get a call from the mrs to nip to asda!

i tend to use the pnd's for navigation to places i'm unfamiliar with and/or verification. if i'm likely to need to get to morrisons at any point then i'd take the pnd cos, as mentioned above, the ones built in are a bit naff...! pnd's are generally easier to add custom pois (with the exception of tt navigator?)

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: