Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery Related Information
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Related Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
News to me.... I didn't receive the above.

Nether did I
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the battery pack is supposed to recharge via the USB cable. I have also noticed that my rechargeables appear to recharge when the A10 is connected via the USB cable.

So.... what happens if you have disposables in when it when connected via the USB. Normally you are warned not to try recharging them!

It would be a shame to inadvertently blow the device up. Crying or Very sad
Satsync 1.525
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
I believe that the battery pack is supposed to recharge via the USB cable. I have also noticed that my rechargeables appear to recharge when the A10 is connected via the USB cable.

I just tried this and it works with my NiMh batteries. Can anyone shed any light on what this circutry is doing (Voltage, Constant Current?) and whether it is safe to leave NiMh batterries on charge overnight. A lovely feature if it works. USB car adaptor and your sorted!

Hold that, charge only lasted a few minutes, Must have been a rest effect. :-(
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased the LiPol rechargeable battery and charged it overnight for about 14 hours in total (unit left on but on advanced powersave, screen off after 15 secs) and the ligtning symbol is still showing. The instructions say that the when fully charged, the lightning symbol will disappear. Does the unit really need to be charged in excess of 14 hours? I know it says that by turning the unit off it will re-charge faster, but it also says that from totally flat to full charge should take no more than 9 hours.

Presumably, I can re-charge the unit using the cigarette lighter connection while driving and also by plugging it into my USB port on my computer at work?

Many thanks

Mark
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
Just purchased the LiPol rechargeable battery and charged it overnight for about 14 hours in total (unit left on but on advanced powersave, screen off after 15 secs) and the ligtning symbol is still showing. The instructions say that the when fully charged, the lightning symbol will disappear. Does the unit really need to be charged in excess of 14 hours? I know it says that by turning the unit off it will re-charge faster, but it also says that from totally flat to full charge should take no more than 9 hours. Presumably, I can re-charge the unit using the cigarette lighter connection while driving and also by plugging it into my USB port on my computer at work?
Best thing is to run it down and recharge overnight a couple of times. Leave it switched off completely when charging i.e. after plugging it in, when the lightning symbol appears, switch it off. Yes it will charge via the USB / PC and the car, although I don't know if the car takes longer.
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now tried running the battery down a couple of times and re-charging with SatMap off, but still the lightning symbol stays on, even after a total of 18 hours continuous charge!!

I've emailed SatMap about this but had no reply yet.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
I've emailed SatMap about this but had no reply yet.
I strongly recommend a 'phone call - they're generally very helpful when you make contact but they don't seem very good at responding to e-mails; probably because they're too busy fielding 'phone calls! Bear in mind that they don't actually have a dedicated "Support" team.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only information on this topic I can find is in the user guide:

"Note:If a Lithium Polymer battery is being charged (see section 2.06b), the four -bar battery icon is replaced by a solid charging battery icon."

You do still get the lightning symbol and mine stays this way even with the charger plugged in for 24 Hours. I am not too sure there is any indication when the battery has reached 100% other than the actual battery meter, but this is difficult to read for anything other than a simple look see. I very much doubt you can tell the difference between an 85% or 100% charge state - Mike
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super_claret wrote:
... The instructions say that the when fully charged, the lightning symbol will disappear.
Having re-read your original post, I think Mike Alder is right - the lightning symbol DOESN'T disappear when full charge is reached. Mine certainly doesn't. If I leave it on charge overnight, it will display four blocks when unplugged; if I then immediately plug it in again, the lightning symbol returns. I suspect your unit is actually being fully charged - in essence, the instructions are wrong.
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from a long weekend in the far North of Scotland:

Good News: the unit performed flawlessly on the mountain and the re-chargeable LiPol was still showing 2 bars after 9 hours use (15 sec screen time out set etc.)

Bad News: when I returned to the hotel to re-charge the unit, it was completely 'dead', i.e. plugging in the usb power supply, pressing the on/off switch etc, did nothing - the unit was lifeless. However, as soon as I removed the battery connector from the battery pack and re-connected, it sprang into life, proudly still displaying 2 bars! I thought this 'freeze' fault had been cured with 1.16? Good job it didn't happen mid storm....

I know they're about to release 1.18 to address larger capacity SD cards and longer routes - is this issue not yet resolved?

Cheers,
Grahammon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Dead Battery Reply with quote

New Satmap arrived, Went outside got a lock, played with it by walking up the street. turned it off. Just looked at it today Dead battery. aargh!
Checked the posts in this section and realised that I should take the batteries out between use.
Not sure this is acceptable. My car Navigation Garmin nuvi hasn't been used for over month now and having just checked it to make sure it still works! It does and has full charge. So why not the Activ 10.
Not sure why you have to pay an extra £50 pounds to get a long lasting battery that can stand the current drain.
and yes I did turn it off
Graham
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead Battery Reply with quote

Grahammon wrote:
and yes I did turn it off
Graham

Trouble is you can't turn it off completely. Mine has, and I assume they all have, a constant 34mA drain so the batteries are always being discharged even when you think it is switched off.

The only solution is to remove the batteries. As you say this is not really acceptable but is becomes a habit after a while.

I was going to buy the "Lithium Ion" pack but I find that NiHM cells have actually quite a long life PROVIDED they are removed when not in use.

I did seriously consider returning mine because of this problem but if you want a "proper" OS map on a rugged hand held unit there really is no other viable option.

I guess we are all paying the penalty of being early adopters. If I had known of this and other well documented problems before I had bought it I might have stuck with my Garmin. I didn't and despite the problems it works rather well. No doubt the SATMAP MKII will be a much better unit but if you always wait for the next model you would never buy anything.
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure there is a need to buy the pack.

I use 2700 mAh rechargeables and have no problem. I charge them before each trip and keep a set of energizer lithiums in the pouch just in case but in 6 months I have never needed the lithiums.
Satsync 1.525
cosmiccowboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have bought myself a Satmap a month ago, and up to now it has behaved itself with non of the problems that I have read about on this forum. I do have a question about powering the device though. At the moment I am using 2500 mha rechargeables and would like to use the "Lithium Ion" pack and keep the rechargeables as spare. my question is can I buy a "Lithium Ion" pack from other sources or are we stuck with Satmap's own pack?

cosmic
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any other third party accessories for the active10 or anyone else offering the Li Pol cell, so if you want one of these it will have to be a purchase direct from SatMap - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: