Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Asus Eee PC adds GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Asus Eee PC adds GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Asus Eee PC adds GPS Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAsus have announced a new model in their massively successful Eee PC micro laptop range.

A new model has been announced that is equipped with a 9in display, upgraded to touch screen functionality, and the has the addition of a GPS receiver.

The Eee PC has been a whirlwind success. It's ultra compact form factor, solid state memory and custom Linux install has made for an ultra nippy, portable web/eMail device. The Sub £250 purchase prices may have helped as well and the original models are still in short supply with retailers often selling out as soon as stock is delivered!

Linux has, like Mac, traditionally had a lack of GPS software so it will be interesting to see if this device sparks some development on new platforms. Although the Eee PC is a laptop, it is small enough to consider using in-car.
Dabri
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really good news. I had the earlier (very well speced) model on order with the intention of using an existing GPS with something like AutoRoute or Navigator. I will now go for this model. Then I won't have a trailing lead for the GPS, although a possible power lead is another matter. Then there is a problem of where to mount it, but hey that's what life is all about - meeting challenges. Bring it on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you use AutoRoute? the Eee runs Linux? Or will Wine etc allow Ar to run?
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
the Eee runs Linux?
You can run Microsoft Windows XP on the EEE.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know but why would you ruin a great PC by installing Windows!

Seriously though, many of the advantages of the Eee are lost if you install Windows but each to their own.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> many of the advantages of the Eee are lost if you install Windows

Like what? I strongly disagree. Windows XP supports all of the hardware and features of the Eee. What stops working when you put XP on? Adding XP is one of the most common things people do when they get their Eee. The only reason it's not included by default is the cost.

In fact Asus are now even shipping models which come with XP as standard!

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/news03052008.htm

I would rather say that most of the advantages of having Windows XP are lost if you put Linux on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of a lean compact OS with low power requirements and almost instant On/OFF.

I appreciate that it's possible and supported but for an ultra portable is it necessary? The CPU is far better suited to the Linux it comes with than it is XP or Vista?
dizzydalek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I would have agreed with all of that (as a Fedora Man ;), right up until the moment I was forced to install XP on my eee. My main laptop died and I had no other option to get some network management software running out in Dubai.

Now that I have XP on my eee, my original plan to remove it as soon as I got back has been shelved. My eee has the 4Gb SSD and even with XP, office XP, the Gimp and various other GPS and utility software still has 2Gb free.

I'd never consider XP for my desktop machine, as I'm not a big fan of glaring security holes, but for something mobile for travel, or in-car, use it's great.

Let's not get into the Windows Vs Linux argument, and although the eee would boot up in around 7 seconds with the pre-installed Linux, XP only takes around 20 seconds so it's still pretty quick. The pre-installed 'easy mode' interface is nice but if you're into your computers then it'll be fouind limiting anyway, so you'll end up with the 'Full Desktop Mode' which takes longer to boot anyhoo.

Obviously as XP starts to bloat with bug fixes and updates it'll slow down and start to bloat, but for the moment it's fine and I only install updates I think are necessary.

That and all the hardware I have tried (bluetooth, USB GPS, USB Printer etc) installed painlessly on the XPeee, and I could never get my particular Bluetooth dongle to work with Linux.

Finally, it's generally (and here comes the flame-bait) easier to install applications under XP. You do have apt-get in the Linux OS but there's a bit of know how required in setting up and using it.

Wonder if I can copyright XPeee Smile)

Iain
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Iain, that's useful to know. I quite fancy an Eee PC but I'm not sure if it's just because it's another gadget or if I could make use of the small format for mobile blogging at shows etc.

I have a Sony UX which is a nice device but the keyboard is dire and I like the idea of the simple interface and quick boot but I'm not sure I could cope with the small screen.
dizzydalek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

The small screen is a bit of an issue, but with the XP utilities disk ASUS supply a utility that makes it 800X600 with a scrolling desktop which is pretty good.

With Linux in easy mode you are tied to 800*480, and if the app isn't aware of that (like some of the Thunderbird Dialogs) you can't see the 'submit' buttons.

Great for blogging, or install the Skype update and video-chat from anywhere with WiFi.

And I got mine because it was another gadget ;) Apparently Micro$oft have extended the life of XP as a result of the success of the eee and its ilk.

One thing I forgot to mention, I still have the stock 512Mb of RAM, but even then XP works at an acceptable speed.

Iain
Jarvist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's wierd, Ive got an EEE, and I loved having Xandros on there, dispite my microsoft background. Although I did pimp it a little with bluetooth, 2 GB RAM, and a 16GB SDHC card.

There were two problems which forced me to install XP.
1) Bluetooth just wouldnt play ball under Xandros
2) I wanted to use USB to tether the device to my mobile phone for mobile broadband purposes.

However since then Ive found cool applications which will utilise the GPS on my phone or a bluetooth GPS.

The EEE then becomes a larger screen car navigation unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: