Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Wishlist - Deprecated (pre v.1400)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Wishlist - Deprecated (pre v.1400)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: New one for the list Reply with quote

Some has mentioned this but to more fully define it:-

4. The A10 continues to plot points even when Stop has been selected in the Trip Log. Ideally I would like an option to auto start and stop, say based on moving more than 20-30M = Start. Keeping within 20-30M for more than 2mins = Stop
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Mechanical holding and mounting options Reply with quote

There should be 4 lanyard points rather than 2, 2 top AND 2 bottom. This would allow for either normal map down operation when being carried around neck, comes to right orientation when lifted to view. Or alternatively 4 point fixing when strapped to the top of my cycle bar bag.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lanyard itself is too rough and tough and is not comfortable worn around a bare neck. Softer material or indeed a round cord one as Garmin's.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanical holding and mounting options Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
There should be 4 lanyard points rather than 2, 2 top AND 2 bottom. This would allow for either normal map down operation when being carried around neck, comes to right orientation when lifted to view. Or alternatively 4 point fixing when strapped to the top of my cycle bar bag.

I considered this but given the antenna is atop the device, having it upside down is less than ideal?
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanical holding and mounting options Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
robertharvey wrote:

I considered this but given the antenna is atop the device, having it upside down is less than ideal?

I get a reasonble satellite lock in my living room. I would have thought upside down outside wouldn't be a problem.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well not be but it'd still be poor design to offer a carrying solution that allowed for a less than optimum antenna position.

Don't forget it's already close to your body which can be an effective block to the signal. In marginal conditions being upside down may just tip the balance.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry it 'upside down,' in one of these clear, waterproof, (and I know you don't really need it,) plastic containers round the neck, for the very reason that swinging it up to read, it's in the right readable position. (And I took advice from one of your colleagues on this, and he couldn't see that it would make the slightest difference.)
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mechanical holding and mounting options Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
robertharvey wrote:

I understand if you are worried about satellite lock. I just haven't seen any issues here on my unit.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit a switch that disconnects the battery thereby removing the necessity to have to remove the battery at the end of the day or when the unit locks up.
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physicist wrote:
The lanyard itself is too rough and tough and is not comfortable worn around a bare neck. Softer material or indeed a round cord one as Garmin's.

I would like to see a comfortable wrist lanyard as I don't like the device swinging from my neck. I prefer to hold it and if I need two hands to climb a stile, open a gate or read a conventional map/guidebook I can just let it dangle from my wrist without fear of dropping it. I am using a mobile phone lanyard at the moment but it is a bit thin and cuts into my wrist.
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the trip log show total altutude ascended on trip, rather than the difference between highest and now.

Pressing the Full Power Light button while the Light is on Full Power should put it back to what ever mode it was in before the button was pressed.

Someboady has alread mentioned this but ta bearing compass overlaid onto the map, or corner would be very useful

Case should have a press stud on the belt loop so it can easily be added or removed from belt without dis-robing!

Also it would be easier to use the case if the top opened outwards rather than inwards as when it is on a belt there is no room for the top to fold out of the way.

Please give us V1.17 soon or if we get what we need go the whole hog and call it V2.0
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Battery 'Wires.' Reply with quote

I don't like the flimsy nature of the Li-ion battery connections. The wires are very fragile ... mine has had to be replaced once, despite taking great care removing/replacing, which you have to on occasion when it freezes up.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Battery 'Wires.' Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
I don't like the flimsy nature of the Li-ion battery connections. The wires are very fragile ... mine has had to be replaced once, despite taking great care removing/replacing, which you have to on occasion when it freezes up.
Same here - mine is on the way back for repair. I understand they are looking at changing this to a more sensible camera/'phone style solid battery with contact strips. The design brief includes backwards compatibility so we early adopters won't get stuck with these fragile connections.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Battery 'Wires.' Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I understand they are looking at changing this to a more sensible camera/'phone style solid battery with contact strips.

That is an excellent idea as it would enable a quick change of the Li-on battery. Fiddling with the present tiny connector on a freezing winter's day halfway up a windy hillside would almost guarantee it will break.
ianhappy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great suggestions chaps.

I'd like to see marine charts offered. I use the device a lot for walking and mountain-biking, and also have a powerboat; it'd be great to use it in the boat in coastal waters without having to buy yet another gps unit and set of electronic charts.

mikealder, you mentioned having all your maps made available on a single card; I spoke with Satmap about this today as I'd like Surrey added to my West Sussex card, and was advised I could just send my existing card back to them and they'd update it.

Smile

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: