Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720 Reply with quote

Apologies STRAIGHT AWAY...

As I just know there is an existing thread for this somewhere, but doing a search returned way too MANY hits, not none at all.

So a new post, so apologies.

What I would like to know, is whether the card listed here:

LINK TO CARD DETAILS

Would work in my Go 720.

In short, for those not wishing to click the link, it is a Class 6 speed, 8GB Transcend SDHC card.

Why I ask specifically, is because I hear mixed answers in general posts.

Some users say 8GB work, but only in an SDHC card reader to set it up, and THEN the TT can use it (which is no use ot me as I don't think my internal card reader is HC compatible).

Others say the best result is actually using them IN the TT itself, and adding stuff in Explorer via the card in the device.

And as for TomTom, they are even less helpful, as their compatibility chart simply says that for the Go 720 it "supports SDHC" - but no indication of what size.

So can anyone using an 8GB SDHC actually tell me, can they be used directly on the device itself fine, for adding and removing files etc?

Thanks all.[/url]
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720 Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
So can anyone using an 8GB SDHC actually tell me, can they be used directly on the device itself fine, for adding and removing files etc?
No they cannot be fully accessed via the PC while fitted in the TomTom, I have a Peak SDHC class 6 of 8GB capacity, I needed to format it using Windows Explorer in a card reader, then copy the files I wanted to the card BEFORE inserting to the device.

Once it is loaded to the device the TomTom will see and use the data on the card, SDHC card readers are available as a single card holder that fit straight into the USB socket I have 5 sat in front of me on the PC desk, they are SanDisk MicroMate SDHC readers - free with certain SanDisk cards (hint, hint) - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720 Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
No they cannot be fully accessed via the PC while fitted in the TomTom, I have a Peak SDHC class 6 of 8GB capacity, I needed to format it using Windows Explorer in a card reader, then copy the files I wanted to the card BEFORE inserting to the device.

Once it is loaded to the device the TomTom will see and use the data on the card, SDHC card readers are available as a single card holder that fit straight into the USB socket I have 5 sat in front of me on the PC desk, they are SanDisk MicroMate SDHC readers - free with certain SanDisk cards (hint, hint) - Mike

If you could recommend a good one, and site, via PM even that would be handy Mike, thanks (hint, hint back).

My only worry here though, is that TT themselves say they DO work.

And how do you use them then with that abomination I know you hate, that is called TomTom Home mate, for installing and downloading larger maps etc in future, as las, I do choose to er, persevere with it *Laughing Out Loud*.

If the card can't be seen in the device, then Home cannot use it for any POI updates etc?

Or did you mean once it is formatted, Home CAN then see it once placed in a TT device and connected to Home?

Thanks for the info Mike.
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 8GB Transcend SDHC card and brought it from http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/sdhc-memory-cards.html it's £21.95 without a card reader and £23.95 with. The only time it's a problem is adding MP3's then I have to put it in the card reader add the MP3's put it back in my TT and do a reset for it to add the MP3's to the play list.

I have the 2GB North America map on there and it does the Mapshare updates through TTHome no problem at all, also adding extra POI's no problem.

For the sake of removing and doing a quick reset to add MP3's I 'm glad I went for the 8GB with card reader.
NA 2GB v8.45
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoppy wrote:
I have the 8GB Transcend SDHC card and brought it from http://www.lowpricememory.co.uk/sdhc-memory-cards.html it's £21.95 without a card reader and £23.95 with. The only time it's a problem is adding MP3's then I have to put it in the card reader add the MP3's put it back in my TT and do a reset for it to add the MP3's to the play list.

I have the 2GB North America map on there and it does the Mapshare updates through TTHome no problem at all, also adding extra POI's no problem.

For the sake of removing and doing a quick reset to add MP3's I 'm glad I went for the 8GB with card reader.

Thanks for the heads up mate.

So... options are open for me, however I wish to do this.

Cheers to you both.
kareembey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only 4GB's (actually 3.45GB's) of the Transcend 8GB SDHC card show up in the TomTom GO 720, which I had to format and access via Windows Explorer while it was inserted in the TomTom GO 720.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: SDHC Card Compatibility - Go 720 Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

My only worry here though, is that TT themselves say they DO work.

Can you remember where they've said that?

The only mention I've ever found about SDHC on the TT website is on this page, and it very carefully avoids any mention of maximum card sizes there! Evil or Very Mad
kareembey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neither called TomTom nor read their manual regarding memory cards. I actually have a TomTom GO 720 and a Transcend 8GB SDHC card, so I know from actually trying it. I has no idea why it wouldn't work in my camera, which is a couple years old. Since my 720 is brand new, I tried it there. I formatted it via My Computer, but only half of the 8GB's shows up. Apparently neither my camera nor my PC card reader are capapable of recognizing SDHC. When you connect your TomTom to your PC, assuming the TT software has already been installed, both a TomTom and a Removable Disk drive will appear in My Computer. The TomTom drive is the TT's internal storage (ex. TomTom (NSmile. There will be another Removable Disk drive, which will probably be the last lettered drive (ex. Removable Disk (OSmile. This is the TT's external memory, which is the memory card. Right click on it and select Format. Hope this helps.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you format the card in an SDHC reader to its full capacity, you can still use it in your x20, but you will have to use the same (type of) reader to transfer data to it. It will not be recognised by Explorer or Home when in the device.
kareembey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I format my 8GB card using a reader capable of recognizing the entire capacity, will my TomTom then be able to see the other 4GB's?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, or at least that's the way mine works. Like I said, you have to use a card reader to put stuff onto the card but then the device will read it just like any other card.
kareembey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try that with my TomTom. Thanks.

KB
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently bought the Transcend 4gb SDHC class 6 card. Be aware that it's only advertised as a 6mb read speed (or write speed). I've found after some research that the Peak class 6 card is faster and in my view makes for smoother map movement.
Given a choice of card again I'd def go for the Peak card.
SatMonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Class 4 Sandisk 4GB Ultra Extreme II that works.

And a Class 4 Play 8GB that also works. You can only write to the first 4GB before it cops a wobble.
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
I've recently bought the Transcend 4gb SDHC class 6 card. Be aware that it's only advertised as a 6mb read speed (or write speed). I've found after some research that the Peak class 6 card is faster and in my view makes for smoother map movement.
Given a choice of card again I'd def go for the Peak card.

I use a Peak 16GB SDHC Card. I use it in a Hama USB 2.0 Card Reader 1.000 & 1 Reader with latest driver and it works fine. With the TT Go720, I use a 4GB non SDHC Card from MyMemory.co.uk which works with 710 too to update maps etc.
If I use the 16GB card directly in TTHome with 720, it only shows Iberia in TTHome, but by copying the maps and updating via the 4GB card, when I put it in the TT, show all the maps etc
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: