Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anquet routes & SatSync
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anquet routes & SatSync
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: SatMap .map to Anquet .arf Reply with quote

Use SatSYNC to export the My Track n.map file from the SatMap to the PC.
Use File / Export / My Track n.map and it will be exported as a .gpx file.

This .gpx route file can be directly opened in Anquet v6.

Unfortunately Anquet v1 does not have the facility to open .gpx files and Anquest v6 cannot save the route as a .arf file so it is not straight forward to get the route file into Anquet v1.

There is a conversion program called GPS Utility from http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ which will convert the .gpx file exported from the SatMap to Anquet's .arf format. The trial version will import the route providing there are not more than 500 waypoints. The full version of this program cost about £30 and will handle 65000 waypoints.

I have written to Anquet to ask if they have their own utility to convert a v6 route to v1 and am still awaiting their reply.
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know what the latest from Anquet regards upgrade from version 1
to version 6 is BUT are you sure FREE is the correct term.
For those NOT aware there were distinct differences between the two versions much like Xp and Vista from Microsoft
From memory it cost me a small sum AND i had to send the original CDs
back to get the newer version at a reduced cost.
I note as of this morning that version 6 software has just been updated (last fortnight) while version 1 software has not been altered for some time- i presume that there will be no more effort placed to improve the
software in the hope that most migrate upwards and onwards
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonoftheabove wrote:
i dont know what the latest from Anquet regards upgrade from version 1
to version 6 is BUT are you sure FREE is the correct term.
For those NOT aware there were distinct differences between the two versions much like Xp and Vista from Microsoft
From memory it cost me a small sum AND i had to send the original CDs
back to get the newer version at a reduced cost.
I note as of this morning that version 6 software has just been updated (last fortnight) while version 1 software has not been altered for some time- i presume that there will be no more effort placed to improve the
software in the hope that most migrate upwards and onwards

Well so it says and has proved to be to me only this week.

See http://www.anquetmapserver.co.uk/Home.aspx?ref=ANDOWN

I now have Anquet 6.2.2 from Anquet themselves, not a pirate site, along with several regions of the free Aerial mapping.

When v6 came out I had only just purchased quite a few 1:25,000 CDs for V1 so to upgrade would have been a no brainer. Now we can have the best of both worlds. To be honest, I sill prefer version 1 of the software, it seems to run faster and the menu options appear easier to find, to me at least. Obviously I'm more familiar with V1 than V6 so that may have something to do with it.

V6 was released because apparently OS required Anquet to alter the terms of their license agreement regarding software updates. Perhaps Anquet can expand on this. So the end for V1 was reached some time ago.
Anquet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You are correct in that at Anquet, we have now stopped development of the v1 software. V1 was a great bit of software, but it reached the end of the road in what we could do with it. We learnt so much from V1 and all the user feedback, that we embarked on a complete rebuild, rather than a tweak here and there.

The result was v06, which to new users has a much smaller learning curve, and has more functionality. It is however fair to say, that is has very little commonality with v1, and this was possibly a mistake that we made. Some v1 users have preferred to stay with v1 rather than learn what looks like new software. However, for those that do make the jump, the new functionality is awesome, from simple things like undo/redo buffers that all windows software should have, through to the sync screens, new database functionality etc.

The new code base is all in .Net, which has allowed us to port the new code base very easily to the Pocket PC and MS Smartphones, with which map files and route files are completely inter-changeable with the PC. It is this code base that allowed us to develop the MapServer, and more lately web based mapping.

OS license agreements stop us from issuing updated functionality without re-paying the OS royalty payments. We have been looking for some middle ground with them, but there is currently no movement on this. So with v06, we tried to get as much functionality in as we could, to try to give the software the longest life possible and hence value to our users.
We still offer upgrades for v1 users to v06 http://www.anquet.co.uk/news_item.asp?news_id=128
We also can still supply v1 product to users who require it.

Kind Regards,

Graham
Managing Director – Anquet Maps
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refreshing to see a company keeping its ear to the ground and communicating with its customers through a forum such as this.
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Graham (Anquet) for your input and explanations. If you are still following this thread, is there (or can there be, please) a little utility prog to transfer a route from V6 format to a V1 .arf? While GPS Utility is a fine programme for all it offers and looks to do a reliable conversion, it is perhaps too heavyweight when all is required is a conversion between two versions of Anquet software. Even late versions of Excel and Word can export in earlier formats so a simple utility to work around that would prove extremely useful for V1 users. Perhaps a dedicated .arf to .gpx convertor and back would be even better.

I find it very strange that the likes of a now privatised company such as OS can dictate your business plan with regards to updates to your software. Wouldn't some of of modular software get around this so that enhancements could be separate to the main program. eg, if you needed to get functionality so that Anquet could link directly with SatMap, it would be a separate program like SatSync to transfer data to/from the device.

Anyhow, thanks for making Anquet V6 free as it offers a 'route' to get routes from V1 into SatMap. To get them back the other way would be the icing on the cake!
cwmboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anquet v6.2.2 does support GPX Reply with quote

Anquet wrote:
Dear GeoffC et al

Anquet v6.2.2 does support GPX (It is downloadable for free from our website).

Just go to File ... Database ... SaveAs and select different file type.

Kind regards
Anquet Maps

Just tried this on one of my saved routes in Anquet and transferred it seamlessly to Satmap. I just had to change the name of the file for it to work. Just one thing though, it also transferred three other routes from Anquet onto my Satmap, not sure why?
Satmap A10
Anquet Maps 6.2.10
Anquet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Anquet Reply with quote

Hi all,

Cwmboy – you probably got 3 routes, as they are probably all within one Anquet database. Anquet will have saved the database in GPX format, and the GPX format can contain multiple routes.

J-K – Unfortunately the OS license basically states that they license the data to be sold as a ‘package’ with software. If the software is updated to the client, other than by way of a bug fix, then this will be taken as being a royalty inducing event. i.e. we can fix things, but if say we now wanted to add a whole lot of new functionally based around OS mapping, this would require a full upgrade of our system, as Anquet could not swallow the extra royalty costs. For the 1:50,000 data I can kind of agree with this – the data is cheap - £165 for the whole country versus £1200+ for paper maps. However, on 25k data it’s the other way. Personally we would like to see some middle ground. The OS do need to make a return, and if we kept selling / giving updates for free without returning royalties, what would be the point for the OS?

Regarding the arf to v06 format – it’s a good point that you make about Excel saving backwards. However in reality it’s unlikely this will get built currently as the technical team are fully deployed on other projects, and we have had very little demand for such a utility – obviously we try to work on projects which are most in demand.

Kind Regards,

Graham
Managing Director – Anquet Maps
J-K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had Anquet 6 running again and was reminded that in the Tools menu is the option to both Import / Export ..... Anquet Version 1 User Data. So it seems it was intended to work both ways. Are you sure that this isn't just a broken option and that Anquet 6 already has the coding to export .arf files, only it isn't working? I'd have been disappointed if I had paid good money for Anquet 6 only to find this tool not working.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: