Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership - Disguising Vans Now
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership - Disguising Vans Now
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership - Disguising Vans Now Reply with quote

SPEED GUNS IN BUILDER'S VANS?

See HERE
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks genuine too me, the two vans are the same as far as I can tell, same VRN!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like we will soon need to add pHorse Boxes and pBuilders Vans to the database. Razz It reminds me of when I was travelling in France and saw a battered old Renault van apparently broken down at the side of the Motorway. My French friend told me it was a speed camera van, the French use anything. It looks like we are going down that path.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to the front page Evil or Very Mad
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surely this just flies in the face of claims that they are 'safety cameras' and not 'cash cameras'? if they wanted people to drive safely they would make it obvious that they were there!

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely, the 'Safety' angle was put forward to fool the gullible. Just are all things 'Green' at the moment such as the new London emission tax. Banning all cars in toto would make little difference to the CO2 output of the world, so why bother, unlass of course it is to raise cash.

Everyone knows that speed cameras are just that, and their purpose is entirely to raise cash. And trying to fool everyone about it they initially decided to call then safety cams and warn everyone. They have just changed their minds, and going back to what they were first used for: Raising cash.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(moved out of the verifiers forum so everyone can see it...)

MaFt
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
And trying to fool everyone about it they initially decided to call then safety cams and warn everyone. They have just changed their minds, and going back to what they were first used for: Raising cash.

but they've shot themselves in the foot though as they have been towing the "we're not after the money" line for far too long now!

MaFt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but they've shot themselves in the foot
They did that when they announced, some months back, there were going to be 'x' number of new cameras installed and 'x' number of extra pounds would be raised. From that they assume more people would be caught speeding. Conclusion. Speed Cams don't work then.

Quote:
Just are all things 'Green' at the moment
Where we are now being told there is a food shortage because more land is being used to grow crops for Bio fuel.
fordfocus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not surprised at all about this recent antic by the Derbyshire Cash Machine Company, aka the Police.
As a resident in Derbyshire, I have seen Gatso's sited on steep downhill gradients where the (overgrown) bush just happens to hide it from view Evil or Very Mad

I also note that the term "speed kills" cannot apply to the boys in blue as they seem to go everywhere round here at 50+ mph, maybe they are going back to base for a tea break Rolling Eyes

This site may be of interest to members:

Derbyshire Safety Camera Team

As a driver of 35 years experience, I can honestly say that nowadays, driving really sucks, roll on the day when you can teleport to Tesco's Laughing
57squadron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
But surely, the 'Safety' angle was put forward to fool the gullible. Just are all things 'Green' at the moment such as the new London emission tax. Banning all cars in toto would make little difference to the CO2 output of the world, so why bother, unlass of course it is to raise cash.

Everyone knows that speed cameras are just that, and their purpose is entirely to raise cash. And trying to fool everyone about it they initially decided to call then safety cams and warn everyone. They have just changed their minds, and going back to what they were first used for: Raising cash.

Why does this site (and other motoring sites) continue to refer to them as "Safety Cameras" ????

They are Speed Cameras, provided for that purpose, and that purpose only. A true "Safety" camera would record unsafe acts and unsafe driving.

I feel very strongly that by using the term "Safety Cameras" sites such as this are legitimising the term, which was coined (pardon the pun) to give them a positive spin and disguise their true purpose.
tetleyman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Looks genuine too me, the two vans are the same as far as I can tell, same VRN!

And that just shows that the police van has been stolen and sprayed blue. The police must have realised it is missing by now!! Smile
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think this makes a mockery of the whole "Safety" camera issue and the fact that they always claim they're not trying to trick you or catch you out.

I think this story should be given as much publicity as possible so people are aware of the tactics that are now being used.

Having said that, I haven't looked into this in depth but do we know for sure that the police still own this van? It's fairly common for white police cars sold off to be resprayed silver to cover up the markings (which never completely disappear even when the stickers are removed). It could be that this van has simply been sold.
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the only thing the van is missing as part of it's disguise as a builders van is some dirt and some writing which says "i wish my wife was as dirty as this".
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickG wrote:
Having said that, I haven't looked into this in depth but do we know for sure that the police still own this van? It's fairly common for white police cars sold off to be resprayed silver to cover up the markings (which never completely disappear even when the stickers are removed). It could be that this van has simply been sold.

Would a new owner go to the trouble of mocking up a false window on the rear door? The camera window is also open in 'on duty' mode.

Anyway, it would appear MCN have covered this and the partnership have confirmed the story is true, see here.

How stupid do these people think motorists are?
Extrat from MCN Article which wrote:
Sgt Andy Carmichael, from the force’s road policing unit, claimed it was “merely” painted a different colour rather than disguised as anything in particular – despite the GB sticker on the back.

So the addition of the tow bar, removal of all Hi-Vis markings, blue lights etc, addition of a fake rear window and GB sticker (going on holiday boys?) wasn't carried out for the purposes of a disguise! I wonder if the dirt and mud is genuine?

Images courtesy of Derbyshire Safety Camera Partnership and MCN

I don't condone speeding, I'm a biker and know the idiocy of some who ride these roads but this is just cheap policing, it performs no function other than to fine every driver/rider who transgresses the limit. Where previously a minor transgression by a motorist who was otherwise driving with due care etc may have elicited either no action or a ticking off, these darned things dish out penalties by the hundreds with zero discretion and no consideration of other factors.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:41 am; edited 2 times in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: