Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files Reply with quote

With Satsync you seem to be able to copy map files from the SD card onto the PC, although this takes a longgg time. Has anyone tried to do this and bring back onto a common 4G SD card to save swapping cards?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
With Satsync you seem to be able to copy map files from the SD card onto the PC, although this takes a longgg time. Has anyone tried to do this and bring back onto a common 4G SD card to save swapping cards?
When you download a route file created in the A10 via SatSYNC you are offered three options: (a) the .map file, which can be "exported" and in so doing, is converted to a .gpx file; (b) a ["My trail 1"] (or whatever you've called it) .gpx file; and (c) a "track".gpx file. Both the .gpx files are identical (I don't why there are two) and are full data and very much larger than the .map originated file and are supplied for the purposes of those who want to edit and fine tune the data off the A10. Importing these back into the A10 without materially filtering down the number of trackpoints doesn't seem to be a good idea; the files are way too large for the A10 to cope with. The .map originated .gpx files however, are fine. These are much smaller and import back into the A10 without problem, where they become .map files again. The map SD cards supplied have a considerable amount of vacant space on them for re-imported routes. You need to check, but I thought the maximum capacity card the unit can read at present is 2 GB. My GB South 1:50,000 card has the mapping (1,383MB) and 15 cycling tracks averaging about 50 miles each which occupy another 34MB so it's 1,417MB used and 613MB free. Bear in mind also, that your maps are on the cards so if you wanted to use a user supplied blank SD card for routes, you would lose your mapping, apart from the inbuilt base maps.
robertharvey wrote:
With Satsync you seem to be able to copy map files from the SD card onto the PC, although this takes a longgg time.
What's a "long time"? The Export process is very quick - seconds only - and the "Copy" process is hardly much longer. If your's is taking a long time, there may be someting wrong.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each map is locked to the ID of the SD card it is loaded to, this is done by SatMap to prevent card copying. You can copy the contents of the SD card containing the map as a backup to the PC, but you can only ever load that map back to the exact same SD card it was supplied on.

Having a copy on the PC is a good idea, you never know when a card could become corrupt, they are bomb proof but its worth a copy to the PC.

I did speak with Howard from SatMap at the NC recently about putting all my maps on a single larger card. It should be possible to do but I haven't followed this up as yet. - Mike
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Having a copy on the PC is a good idea, you never know when a card could become corrupt, they are bomb proof but its worth a copy to the PC.

Does anyone know what the policy is from Satmap on lost/broken map cards, if you have a backup? If the encrypted serial number of the SD card is the unique item. Can this be backed up/logged with Satmap so any problems can be rectified?

Last edited by robertharvey on Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
[ The Export process is very quick - seconds only - and the "Copy" process is hardly much longer. If your's is taking a long time, there may be someting wrong.

I am talking about moving the OS map files from the Satmap supplied SD card to another bigger one. Moving the Track/Route files is snappy. You can get 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards now. The A10 should be able to read these according to the specs I have seen.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
I am talking about moving the OS map files from the Satmap supplied SD card to another bigger one.
I don't think this works. I understand that the OS map files are tied in some way to the specific SD cards they are supplied on. Otherwise the map files could be pirate copied, in breach of the OS license. This does raise the thorny question of how you back up your expensive map files, as I think you've already realised.
robertharvey wrote:
You can get 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards now. The A10 should be able to read these according to the specs I have seen.
You may be right on this; I know it was certainly their intention to expand the size of card it can read, I just wasn't aware they'd achieved it yet. I spoke to them a while ago asking if it would be possible to get my local 1:25,000 map put on the same SD card as my GB South 1:50,000 so I could zoom back and forth from one to the other. I got the impression they could do this but were waiting until the A10 could read the larger capacity SD cards.
foxprint
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files Reply with quote

robertharvey wrote:
With Satsync you seem to be able to copy map files from the SD card onto the PC, although this takes a longgg time

I tried this but either it was taking a longggggg time or had hung. I cancelled the copy and will get a USB SD adapter to copy the map file to my computer.

As the map cards are so expensive, I see it as essential to be able to make a backup copy. My only question, like others have said, is what happens if the SD card stops functioning. Can we get the data re-written to a new card in an emergency?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the card dies and cannot be used at all I would contact SatMap who will probably want the original back, but they should be able to issue a replacement.
If it is only the data that gets messed up on the SD card then you have the option to format the card and re-install the data from the PC backup (assuming you have taken one).
Remember SD cards cost far less than £1 when purchased in bulk, it is the data contained on them that makes up 99% of the purchase price - Mike
super_claret
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just copied the card to my PC and it took 1 minute to copy a 400MB file. There is also a map license and an XML file with the map which shows some sort of code, which I presume you need to back up in case of card failure.

Just slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the internal memory of the Active 10 is. When I copy a route I have the option of copying it the the internal memory or the card.

Cheers

Mark
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Backing Up and Moving Satmap Map Files Reply with quote

foxprint wrote:
I cancelled the copy and will get a USB SD adapter to copy the map file to my computer.

I tried with my SD reader and it said the card needed to be formatted before it could be used. I would imagine Satmap have used some abnormal sector structure to stop copying?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had any trouble with a SatMap SD card when using an SD Card reader to copy its contents to the PC.
My PC does throw up a warning message about scanning the card, but this is because Microsoft Vista is stupid, canncel the scan message and look for the drive letter associated with the memory card with Windows Explorer - Mike
robertharvey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I have never had any trouble with a SatMap SD card when using an SD Card reader to copy its contents to the PC.
- Mike

Hmm, wonder if my card reader is too old, or dead. I will replace and try again, thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: