Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Is there an affordable Laser Detector?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there an affordable Laser Detector?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justclox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Is there an affordable Laser Detector? Reply with quote

Does any one know of a Laser detractor, JUST a laser detector.

I don't want speed camera/trap databases or a laser disruptor or a radar detector or something to tell me to stop driving and take a break.

I just want a nice cheep laser detector with no frills or bells and whistles, but a good detector range front and back.

Is there such a thing?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this site useful:
http://www.radardetectors.co.uk

But I think it's quite possible these will be made illegal in the UK soon. They already are in many countries. (see the chart at the bottom of THIS PAGE

Quote:
January 2005 Update
At the moment the government are debating making radar detectors illegal, something they have been considering since 1998 when they were proved not to be illegal under the 1949 Wireless & Telegraph Communications Act. It has taken 6 years for them to get around to discussing it in the House of Commons as part of an up and coming Road Safety Bill, and providing it passes all readings in the various Houses, and assuming that a general election does not get in the way, then it may become law later this year.

We understand that this proposal is aimed at radar detectors and laser jammers, not GPS based units.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final stage of eh Bill which will legislate against these devices is due up very soon.

Laser detectors are a waste of time anyway to be honest, the chances of one alerting you in sufficient time to take any action are so tiny as to be pointless and the faith you might put in one would be misplaced.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
......................Laser detectors are a waste of time anyway to be honest, the chances of one alerting you in sufficient time to take any action are so tiny as to be pointless and the faith you might put in one would be misplaced.

I agree with Darren, having owned and used a 'true' detector for a few years, i can tell you that although in the early days we all thought they were wonderful and couldn't do without them, by comparing them by today's GPS products, they are primitive and extremely 'hit and miss'.

The problem is that security laser features are used everywhere, so every garage, bank, large building has something that will set off your detector with false alarms. Although some detectors can filter these false alarms it is very fiddly and can reduce your chances of finding the real thing.

Radar detectors will not pick up a lot of cameras as they don't emit laser signals, additionally on the cameras that do work, the signal sent to your detector can vary on weather conditions, sometimes you get a decent warning and other days in bad weather, not until you have passed the camera when it is too late.

I still have a detector diode fitted to my DriveSmart, which i'm also using with the PGPSW database. I can't remember when the diode last picked up a laser signal, i've got a feeling that there are very few cameras out there which are detectable any more.

justclox wrote:
I just want a nice cheep laser detector with no frills or bells and whistles, but a good detector range front and back.

In answer to your question, it doesn't matter how cheap they are they aren't worth getting, if you still insist on wanting one, i have a detector from the USA which is spare for £20 + p&p if you PM me, it saved me several times from hand held cameras.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an affordable Laser Detector? Reply with quote

justclox wrote:
I don't want speed camera/trap databases or a laser disruptor or a radar detector or something to tell me to stop driving and take a break.

As a laser gun takes all of about a third of a second or less to calculate your speed, Shocked how do you intend to slow down to the legal limit when your laser detector detects the camera? Crying or Very sad
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there an affordable Laser Detector? Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
justclox wrote:

As a laser gun takes all of about a third of a second or less to calculate your speed, Shocked how do you intend to slow down to the legal limit when your laser detector detects the camera? Crying or Very sad

If you are lucky (very lucky) you can get 'scatter' from laser where it can bounce off shiny objects such as glossy carpaint, chrome and glass, also if the camera is hand held the beam can wander and a detector might pick it up.
But the chances of detecting and reacting in time is minute.

As you say the camera works quicker than a human brain, so it can get you before you can even think about avoiding it.

After a 'hit' I still wouldn't guarantee anyone could get away with slowing down in time, and they would be stupid to try.

With the present level of GPS equipment available, there is no need to risk your licence with 'IF' this or that worked in the right conditions.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And coincidentally, here is what can happen if you panic and hit the anchors!

Click the image to access the BBC News Video:
pocketgpsworld.com

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And coincidentally, here is what can happen if you panic and hit the anchors!

Click the image to access the BBC News Video:

I laughed at that one! Speed Cameras making our roads safer! Twisted Evil Laughing
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that some of these cars would have had ABS! Shocked Laughing
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't make that link work, but I did find this:

(I can't get a direct link working for the video for that one either but it's on the right of
this page)

Quote:
Speed cameras have been installed on some of Switzerland's ski runs in an effort to reduce accidents.

Any plans to introduce a new category, MaFt? Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: