Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I hope this will soon be rectified by TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I hope this will soon be rectified by TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vandam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: I hope this will soon be rectified by TomTom Reply with quote

At the moment POI Capture will not work with TomTom Rider, One, and mobile. This is for a technical reason, which we hope, will soon be rectified by TomTom.

I know there are some clever people on these forums and i am not one of them and i would love to have POI Capture on my tomtom but can't because of the version i use, so why do we have to wait for tomtom to do this (if they ever do) i am sure there is someone out there that could fix this problem, or is it a legal technicality Question .
nuvi57LM
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from memory it was tomtom remove api support from the sdk and also the sdk files from the applications

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or in English... Wink

TomTom used to sell a Software Developers' Kit (the "SDK"), which helped people to make add-on applications like POI Capture.
Having sold a load of these kits and got all the advantages of having a system with extra goodies for free, they then suddenly decided to stop supporting it.
Having now produced several new software versions since then, any add-ons already produced may or may not still work, there's no guarantee.
There's no legal technicality as far as I know, it's just hard to create anything without instructions or support.
Vandam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, it looks like i will have to forget about POI Capture. Crying or Very sad
nuvi57LM
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checking... You do know you can still report camera positions without POI Capture, don't you?
Vandam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Just checking... You do know you can still report camera positions without POI Capture, don't you?

Yes Andy i do and have already reported a moble in my area, i just thought that POI Capture would have made it a bit easier to do.
Just a thought has anyone tried Poi Capture with version 7.162
Thanks for that anyway. Smile Wink
nuvi57LM
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vandam wrote:
Yes, and it doesn't. Sad

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Vandam
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Vandam wrote:
Yes, and it doesn't. Sad

Thank's Oldboy for your reply very helpfull cheers. Thumbs Up
nuvi57LM
justclox
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy P2002 mentions that we can still report cameras (and wrongly positioned POIs) without the aid of "POI Capture".

How?

I have a Tom tom 920 and I can't see myself safely trying to get the map coordinates and write them down whilst doing 60 mph along a busy road.

I noticed that a camera had been removed but when I got home and tried to retrace my journey I was not able to identify where the camera used to be.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mustn't forget that TomTom is not the only device available and other users who have never had the POICapture option report errors to us. It's not always easy but far from impossible.

For TomTom I use the MapShare facility via an on screen short cut to note a location with one click which I can later refer to. You can access and enable this via 'QuickMenu'.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just save it as a favourite, (also available from the Quickmenu by one tap if you want), but I usually have a passenger well trained in doing it via the normal "Favourite/GPS position menus, because then you can name the favourite with a suitable pithy comment like "Gat 30 W bound"

When I get back home I "Browse map" and "find" favourite, then copy the Lat/Long co-ordinates shown on screen straight into the submission form and make any slight adjustments, if needed, on the submission map.
dgparryuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a tomtom - when doing a favourtie does it go on the basis of where you are when you hit the button?

I drive around a lot for my job and if i hit "add favourite" for a mobile camera or something, i'll know roughly where it is... but if it takes me a mile to add something... will it be where i hit add or where i hit ok?

does anyone know off the top of their head? (or even in their brain)

and i THINK this could actually be my 1st post...
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use 'Add Favourite' / 'GPS position', (five screen taps on an un-modified menu), then it saves the location when you pressed the 'GPS Position' button (within the limits of the system). You can then complete the naming of it at your leisure.

If you use the QuickMenu on the x20 or x30 series models, (one or two screen taps, depending on how may items you have in your Quickmenu), then it saves it as soon as you tap 'Add position to Favourites', but then you don't get a chance to name it yourself and will have to remember the details (harder than you'd think, especially when there are more than one!)

Oh and by the way, WELCOME, and a very good first post!
dgparryuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
If you use 'Add Favourite' / 'GPS position', (five screen taps on an un-modified menu), then it saves the location when you pressed the 'GPS Position' button (within the limits of the system). You can then complete the naming of it at your leisure.

If you use the QuickMenu on the x20 or x30 series models, (one or two screen taps, depending on how may items you have in your Quickmenu), then it saves it as soon as you tap 'Add position to Favourites', but then you don't get a chance to name it yourself and will have to remember the details (harder than you'd think, especially when there are more than one!)

Oh and by the way, WELCOME, and a very good first post!

been around for a while, joined way back when - then you started charging for the data base so i waited... now driving everywhere decided to buy it... (after using an outdated one for ages....) and started reading the forums (i have a boring job)

i tend to lurk for a few months to get the feel of somewhere...

and to keep it on topic... i tend to do the quick one... and hopefully i'll remember... i did try it with the error correct part but theres no way of getting info out from there...

i also submitted a mobile camera ages back which hasn't appeared but from reading a lot i think i did a few wrong things... so i'll wait till i see it again (it was around the corner from my GF's house, so i'm there often)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: