Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC cannot be used in combination with the current map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC cannot be used in combination with the current map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackster73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: RDS-TMC cannot be used in combination with the current map Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just bought a 920T from the States. Two reasons; 1, my wife does a lot of business there so the US maps were needed 2, I didn't have to sell my left kidney to buy it Wink as it was less than half the price of one over the counter in the UK.
Over the Christmas period we used it, in the UK, to drive around 1k miles. Works fine - apart from the annoying way it reads road numbers long-hand.

However.......

I get this message when I plug in the RDS TMC...
"RDS-TMC traffic information.
Your RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver cannot be used with the current map."

Now, I'm guessing that it maybe because the Freq used in the States is different to the Classic FM signal over here. I have read a lot of posts and the FAQs in this Forum but am none the wiser. Can this be fixed or do I need to buy the RDS-TMC thingy over here? From the posts I think I can re-tune the base tuner but I can't seem to find an Icon that is similar to the one in the posts/FAQs.

Any ideas?
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jackster73 and welcome. Dont quote me on this but i remember reading that the RDS-TMC does not work with the US maps but they would be changing this soonbut if you bought the 920T from the states then you would think it would work ok.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS-TMC devices from the other side of the "Pond" are different and will not work in Europe, as you bought this in the USA it is designed to work over there, not here.
You could try asking TomTom support if it is possible to change it (0845 161 0009) but to be honest you would be better keeping it for your wife’s travels to America and purchase a European RDS Receiver for use over here - Mike
jackster73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: More questions - RDS TMC Reply with quote

mike, if1977,

Thanks for the replies - I have been looking for a Europe spec model since reading them. So here's another question;
The RDS TMC that I have (that only works in the US) is different to those I can find on eBay (UK) but looks the same as the one on the TomTom website.
On my RDS TMC lead, the oval-shaped device on the wire is only about a hand span from the jack plug (which isn't angled) and then there's another metre of wire, with three sucker cups, that terminates in a small plastic tip. There's also a varistor between the jack plug and the oval device. See here. All of the ones for sale on eBay, have an angled jack plug and terminate at the oval device. See here.

Is the one I have and the one on the TomTom website the newer version? Possibly the upgrade that is mentioned elsewhere in these forums?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want one which looks the same as the one you have from the US.

It must have two wires coming out of the oval shaped device. It must also have a white paper "flag" on the lead near the plug which connects it to the sat nav and this flag must have a number ending in 013.

Any other device is an old version and will not work very well in the uk.

I saw some of the new type in Halfords at the weekend packaged in a clear plastic bubble where you could clearly see the two wires coming out of the oval shaped device.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at THIS Post I made a while back which shows the different versions of receiver that have been supplied so far, your US spec device might look the same but the device is different and cannot decode UK or European information - Mike
jackster73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: That's got it! Reply with quote

pcaouolte, Mike,

That's got it. All wrapped up. Very Happy
Many thanks for your extremely helpful replies.

By the way, the US version I have is 4V00.083, for future reference.

Thanks again,

Jack
kokobadu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one newbie from Holland, hallo,

I got same TMC receiver as Jackster73, version 4V00-083, coming from US as well.
I would like to inform that this receiver can work in Holland. Actually it worked fine for a while. Unfortunately I did connect my device to TomTom Home 2, it made few updates and my TMC is not working ever since. On my screen I see grey dot with red cross through it next to traffic information Sad
Anybody can make sense of it all?? I can't.
Of course I did contact customer service of TT, but as you all probably know they are not too competent Sad

Many greetings from Holland,
jackster73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Hello kokobadu!! Reply with quote

Hello kokobadu - and welcome to the forum.

I knew my RDS-TMC wouldn't work because when I attached it, it said that it was not compatable with the current (UK) map. It said this straight away and has never worked, however, my wife has it in the US right at this moment and it works fine.

Is your TomTom from the US as well, or just the RDS TMC? I am surprised that it worked at all, but not surprised that an 'Update' caused a problem! It always seems to cause problems with my 920T.

Best wishes from the UK.......
kokobadu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
The whole set comes from US.
I wish I could fall back to the settings I had before the update. Unfortunately, to my knowledge it is impossible Sad I didn’t work that smooth, but it worked. After tring to turn TMC on it was displaying information that ‘the TMC-RDS will not work in combination with current map’ but second attempt of turning it on was successfully. Each time, same story from beginning, twice turning TMC on. Nerveless the information that this receiver was gathering was always correct. With other words it is possible with US TMC receiver, get the information from the air (in the Netherlands at least).

Many greetings,
keithsjp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: tom tom 930 RDS-TMC (4v00.083) Reply with quote

if u are looking for RDS-TMC for the usa only i have one thats no good to me if u like to buy it $50 email me ADMIN Edit: email address removed only for the RDS-TMC (4v00.083)
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget that the RDS-TMC system in the USA is a subscription based service also, where you get 1 year of Traffic updates from first use. After the initial year, you then have to pay annually to keep the RDS-TMC service working!

Can't remember the pricing, but I did spend some 6 months living in the USA and investigated why my European cable did not work!

Hope this helps also!

iPhone 12
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: tom tom 930 RDS-TMC (4v00.083) Reply with quote

keithsjp wrote:
if u are looking for RDS-TMC for the usa only i have one thats no good to me if u like to buy it $50 email me ADMIN Edit: email address removed only for the RDS-TMC (4v00.083)

Please use the For Sale forum for any posts such as this. If necessary you can link to the advert in this thread.

Also not advisable to post your email address in the open in forums.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: