Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MapShare Speed Limit Alteration (Part A)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MapShare Speed Limit Alteration (Part A)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: MapShare Speed Limit Alteration (Part A) Reply with quote

This guide is only applicable to Navcore 8 releases of the software which is currently only available for the x30 range. Once this software and maps are made available to the earlier devices this will be applicable.

How often have you driven along only to find the over speed alarm pinging away and your speed being shown as too high, even when you are below the speed limit?

The M62/ A1M interchange is one such location that infuriates me every time I drive though it. Navcore 8 offers the option to alter the speed limit of a road, or part of a road.
This part details changing the speed rating of a road in a single pass. The next post explains the slightly more complicated method to alter the speed limit on a small section of a road.

If you want to know how to go from the image on the left to that on the right, read on.

To start the process of changing the speed limit go to the second page of the main menu, and select "Map Corrections"

The Map Share Menu is made available, for this change select "Correct a map error"

You now have the option to "Change road speed" select this:

Next you select the method by which you want to make the alteration, for this example I will use On Map:

You need to drag the map and zoom in/ out until you can see the road you want to alter, select the road, a quick word of caution you need to zoom in close to ensure you pick the correct road when doing this, once the selection is correct press "Done":

The device will now display an overview of the proposed change, this shows the entire selection that will be affected by your alteration, if it is correct press Yes, if it is wrong press Edit. (I will detail the use of the Edit option later, for this simple change to a motorway pressing Yes is all that was required).

Enter the new speed limit for the selected portion of road:

The device will confirm the alteration, it also will ask whether you want to share this change with other users via the TomTom Home software, this sharing will take place next time you sync the device to the PC:

If you have yet to join the map share system on the device you will be constantly nagged to by this screen:

The end result, which shows the speed limit for the same section of M62 which was incorrect, is now displaying the correct speed limit, no red background and no over speed alarm.

Last edited by mikealder on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: MapShare Speed Limit Alteration (Part B) Reply with quote

The A583 which links Blackpool to Preston had the speed limit altered a while back for one small section of the road, Navcore 8 offers the option to alter the speed limit of a road, or part of a road.

This part details changing the more complicated method to alter the speed limit on a small section of a road.

To start the process of changing the speed limit go to the second page of the main menu, and select "Map Corrections"

The Map Share Menu is made available, for this change select "Correct a map error"

You now have the option to "Change road speed" select this:

Next you select the method by which you want to make the alteration, for this example I will use On Map:

You need to drag the map and zoom in/ out until you can see the road you want to alter, select the road, a quick word of caution you need to zoom in close to ensure you pick the correct road when doing this, once the selection is correct press "Done":

Have a good look at the selection, which in this case is incorrect, far too much of the road is actually selected, to correct this you select "Edit"

Maps are made up from Nodes which are simply points on the map, connecting the nodes together forms a segment, multiple segments are grouped together to form roads. By pressing the "Edit" button allows you to deselect these segments individually.

The aim with this change is to go from the image on the left to that on the right.

Zoom in and tap the screen to remove segments of the road:

Drag the map then zoom back in to continue deselecting segments, in this case I needed to remove segments from both sides of the affected area.

Try to avoid leaving "orphan" sections of road while doing this, you get a second chance later but missing a section out, or worse still selecting the wrong segment of an adjacent road takes care, using a stylus does make this process slightly easier.

Zoom out to check your selection, notice on this next screen capture I have left a small orphan section of road which is still highlighted to the right.

Zoom back in and correct the mistake

A final check that all is well by zooming out, once you are happy press the "Done" button.

The device will show you the proposed change to the highlighted section of map, again check it before pressing "Yes"

Enter the revised speed limit that you want applied to the section of road highlighted.

The device will confirm the alteration, it also will ask whether you want to share this change with other users via the TomTom Home software, this sharing will take place next time you sync the device to the PC:

If you have yet to join the map share system on the device you will be constantly nagged to by this screen:

lancedavies
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have version 7.481 installed and my TT 720 is brand new but I cannot see any screen where you can change speed limits. Am I missing something?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NavCore 8 features are not (yet?) available on the 720
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancedavies wrote:
I have version 7.481 installed and my TT 720 is brand new but I cannot see any screen where you can change speed limits. Am I missing something?

You are. The excellent tutorial provided was for Navcore 8, not 7 and the unit was a x30, not x20 model.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added a rather bold note to the original post, should have made this point more clear, sorry for any confusion caused - Mike
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the powers that be will make this a sticky, so that when TT make v8 available to us X20 users we can reference this excellent post from Mike.

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only want to change the limit for a small section of a majjor road, it can be a real pain when the TomTom initially highlights a huge length of the road, as you have to spend ages deleting most of the sections.

Here's a "workround" (copyright DennisN, all rights reserved) to make it quicker....

If there is a small side road close to the road you want to correct, in the first screen, select THAT one instead. Then when you are given the chance to edit your selection, you can deselect that tiny road much quicker and begin to add sections from scratch on the road you really wanted.

See next post for link to Dennis' beautifully illustrated instructions Smile

Last edited by Andy_P on Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like THIS?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Something like THIS?

Something very much like that, yes.... Laughing
Previous post amended!
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something worth remembering is that if you change the colour scheme to "Grey" it makes it easier to see which roads have been selected.

Also, if the 'summary' screen appears a lot more zoomed out than you expect, there could be another small section of road selected (probably near the edge of the screen) that you probably don't want.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
DennisN wrote:
Something like THIS?

Something very much like that, yes.... Laughing
Previous post amended!

You've got me in trouble now, Dennis! Laughing

From another forum:
runarg wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
... and I've just added a little "workround" at the end, which makes it a bit quicker to select the part of the road you want.

Just a little comment:
I see that you write "Copyright DennisM". I posted this method in the Norwegian TT forum 1 1/2 years before he did, together with a Flash-demo on how to do it :D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you need a smack anyway Stop it! No way do I want to be associated with MapShare, thank you!

widescreenforever
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so reading all the above looks familiar to my tom tom 630, but no matter how many time I try the set speeds for a section of my 45 mile commute will not split in the 60 -70 KPH but it either changes the entire route to the last set ( of 70), and if I change the front part again back to 80 it changes the whole route to 80..
Is satnavs software similar to the 630 but will not accept set speed zones ??

How can I change the speed limits for the tom tom630 ( or 730) again???
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you zoomed in very close? You won't see small sections until you do. And have you selected a small side road first?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: