Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - When does a thread become 'Off Topic'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

When does a thread become 'Off Topic'
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-reading back through the post and I realise
Quote:
Showing your age again, Censored , because log tables, slide rules and so on haven't been taught in schools since calculators were allowed.

I also vaguely remember those things, but logarithmic scales are still widely used - calculating the force of earthquakes on the Richter Scale, for example
Could make an interesting discussion in the Off Topic Area.

How about it GPS_fan? Could be a good post. Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Last week, I kept fairly well on a subject stating my view point with the manufacturer of a piece of software on this site, as i didn't understand the effort he was putting into what i believed fairly irrelevant info, only to find that on Monday morning I had been removed, so who knows?

Just to clear that up, 'You' weren't removed, the entire thread was for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with your post. It was easiest to remove the entire thread as a whole whilst we 'discuss' the issue with the company involved. I ought to have PM'd you to explain but got caught up with the issue itself, my apologies.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
From my point if view, GPS_fan, it didn't appear you were being 'got at', the request to get back on topic was further down, so covered more than one person.

mmmm, it's interesting, then, that you quote my post as the point at which that particular thread drifted off topic - so it was either my fault or it wasn't, hence this thread seeking clarification, particularly as I included some relevant (on topic) information in the same post

Alas, even this request for clarification was openly deemed 'over the top' by one team member

Lost_Property wrote:
Could make an interesting discussion in the Off Topic Area.

How about it GPS_fan? Could be a good post. Thumbs Up

Right now, I'm more than a little wary of posting anything in any area, but maybe another time
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Alas, even this request for clarification was openly deemed 'over the top' by one team member

Ok. In my 'opinion' yours was the first post to drift off topic. Although your reply did contain content relevant to the discussion this was as a minor part at the end of your post. I can't refer to it directly as I deleted it as I did all the other posts.

The topic then continued with a mix of on topic posts and further banter about the word Dennis had been struggling to find until MikeA stepped in. Had yours been the only post that was OT nothing more would have been said.

No-one person is directly at fault and it has already been made out to be far bigger issue than it is, now can we get back to business?
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
mmmm, it's interesting, then, that you quote my post as the point at which that particular thread drifted off topic - so it was either my fault or it wasn't,
Come on GPS_fan, be fair, you did ask where the thread had drifted off topic, I checked and yours was the first so said so. I did however point out that you had gone back on topic and if you take a minute or two to relect, you'll see neither I nor Darren
Quote:
Had yours been the only post that was OT nothing more would have been said.
blamed you in any way.

Come on mate, it's all a misunderstanding, get back to your usual helpful self, while we're here writing about this we could miss out on helping someone. If you feel I've upset you I apologise, no offence was meant.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
If you feel I've upset you I apologise, no offence was meant.

None taken.

No apology is necessary - I'm just in a minority of 1 against 250343 other forum members

In the context of the offending thread, I believe that I was not strictly in the wrong.

A previous post had mentioned that the PGPSW database increases/improves "whatsimetrically" (or something like that - the post has been deleted, so I have to use my aging memory).

Without intervention, therefore, the OP could have inserted a word such as GEOMETRICALLY, which would have been nonsensical.

IMHO, in the strict sense of what's been said here, this post, despite answering a member's question, digresses further from the ORIGINAL topic than the mention of logarithms, which was in context.

In view of many other threads which have been allowed to drift way, way off topic, I was merely left bemused by a mod intervening when a post may or may not have been even only partially off topic, whilst remaining totally in context.

On the face of it, this makes it feel that I HAVE been singled out, whilst others 'escape' with far worse

Also, had I been less scrupulous, I could have gone back into this post and, using the 'Edit' feature, deleted the offending mention of logarithms - thus making it appear to subsequent readers that people were making much ado about nothing. However, I have fairly broad shoulders and I stand up to be counted.

I have nothing further to say, your honour, but I hope this has gone some way to highlighting the quandary and justifying my request for clarification.
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I'm just in a minority of 1 against 250343 other forum members

In the context of the offending thread, I believe that I was not strictly in the wrong.

I'm with you, GPS_fan. I couldn't understand why that particular thread was jumped on when the wide area specs thread was going way off topic. Perhaps it because moderators were taking part in that diversion, so it was ok.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from PGPSW index, first post, Forum Rules'

'We like to run pleasant and friendly forums. Please ensure that you abide by these simple rules so that everyone may enjoy using this site.'

What's wrong with a bit of light hearted banter? Twisted Evil It's not specifically banned in the rules Wink
And before someone starts tearing into me, please notice the devil and the wink.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal opinion is that light hearted banter is not a bad thing but sometimes you feel as though you are intruding on a private conversation !!
I look at some threads and think " whats that all about " I think as long as the conversation has gone off topic and is related to what this web site is all about Satellite Navigation its okay
Just my two pence worth
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
GJF wrote:
Last week, I kept fairly well on a subject stating my view point with the manufacturer of a piece of software on this site, as i didn't understand the effort he was putting into what i believed fairly irrelevant info, only to find that on Monday morning I had been removed, so who knows?

Just to clear that up, 'You' weren't removed, the entire thread was for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with your post. It was easiest to remove the entire thread as a whole whilst we 'discuss' the issue with the company involved. I ought to have PM'd you to explain but got caught up with the issue itself, my apologies.

Sorry to have bought the issue up Darren, after I posted the comment I thought I was being petty mentioning it, but it was too late to edit, as your post followed mine almost straight away.

Nice to know it wasn’t due to my posts, but I know I sometimes I ‘rant’ so would have accepted the removal if it was the case.

GPS_fan wrote:
Quote:

I don’t think any of us thought you were wrong; it was (as it often is) a combination of the other posts added and you like others were part of a team, I didn’t read it as personal and i thought your comments were quite relevant.

I blame that DennisN he is always 'off topic' and he is a 'mod'. Wink
(To the touchy please notice the wink, to DennisN we need your great humour to keep the thread of interest - keep up the good work)

I think the humour and banter added makes the post more interesting, but as this site is supposed to be a technical help line/encyclopaedia, I can see Darren’s view point. Trying to keep everybody ‘singing out of the same hymn book’ can’t be easy.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Quote from PGPSW index, first post, Forum Rules'

'We like to run pleasant and friendly forums. Please ensure that you abide by these simple rules so that everyone may enjoy using this site.'

What's wrong with a bit of light hearted banter? Twisted Evil It's not specifically banned in the rules Wink
And before someone starts tearing into me, please notice the devil and the wink.

Well said.

While I've no problem at all with being steered back into line when things have gone TOTALLY of topic, I feel the "stick" is being wielded a bit fiercely recently and I'm dead against actual deleting of posts just for being OT.
If we cannot lighten up our discussions with a bit of banter, I for one will be less likely to post anything; as I know I cannot do it without my (sometimes poor I'll admit) idea of humour creeping in.

Sad it should get this heavy....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the topic in question I deleted some posts not for being OT but for being insulting and inflammatory. I then decided that it was simpler to remove ALL the posts that were now discussing the OT comment and not the original post.

This is not something I do often, in fact I have taken action and deleted posts maybe half a dozen times in 5 years.

I really have had enough of all this now, if we take no action we get snide remarks that we do nothing, if we take some action we get snide remarks about being selective and if we mistakenly become over zealous we get more snide remarks.

No-one has suggested you can't post light hearted replies, just keep the discussion on topic, is that too hard too do? Some of you really should get a new perspective on all this, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: