Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrissuk2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, further to my last response, does anyone know the situation regarding the Specs Cameras beteween the A12 and M11 (A/clockwise). Are they operative?
Also, south of the Dartford crossing, there seems to be a set of Specs installations being prepared. Not just the road works. Any ideas?

Happy days
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: My Vote... Reply with quote

As someone who will be voting on the 1st May in the London elections, I would be concerned about the timing of this "announcement".

I am sure that most people will not be happy with this, along with the the recent Western extension of the Cong Charge. Any motorist is going to look at the facts and wonder if Ken got it right.

Fact : Traffic moves slower no than when the CC was introduced.
Fact : TfL has now introduced charges on previously low emission / CC excluded vehicles
Fact : TfL are being challenged in the Courts by Porsche regarding th higher charges for the most polluting vehicles to £25.00 per day.
Fact : TfL's own report, carried out by Kings College, states that CO2 emissions will increase, as the "gas guzzlers" will have to drive further around the emissions zone, thus increasing mileage and therefore CO2.

Trouble is Ken or Boris?
It's choosing between two people who would have been locked up in an Mental Asylum (Hanwell Asylum - Now Ealing Hospital!) many years ago.

I am planning to leave and move outside the M25 this year, partly to avoid this lunacy.

Simon
klystron_generator
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't there also a school of thought which says that if you go with the flow your likely to reach your destination more relaxed than if your constantly trying to achieve the speed limit
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring this back on topic, could these be the cameras that are being asked about in the new speed camera on the A3 thread? The article says "Thirty-four devices have been put up along a five-mile stretch of the A13 between Canning Town and the Gorsebrook interchange to the east of the capital." My bold to highlight tense. Surely someone has seen one by now?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
To bring this back on topic, could these be the cameras that are being asked about in the new speed camera on the A3 thread?

It's not impossible but as this is a trial and the location is supposedly restricted to the A13 who knows. I shall try and contact the partnership and ask them for information today.
kshotton45
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide Area SPECS ! ( WASP ECS).
I wonder what the acronym will be - something stinging ?? Smile
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
To bring this back on topic, could these be the cameras that are being asked about in the new speed camera on the A3 thread? The article says "Thirty-four devices have been put up along a five-mile stretch of the A13 between Canning Town and the Gorsebrook interchange to the east of the capital." My bold to highlight tense. Surely someone has seen one by now?

"Has seen one by now?"

I have noted, on a number of trips along the A13, some form of technology above each carriageway. The item are facing the oncoming traffic, AND the rear of the vehicles as they pass. Description; Cylindrical, about a foot long, about 4" diameter. Colour: White(ish). the same type of technology is present along the A2 into London.

I have always perceived these as being ANPR units. Are THESE the "new money getherering WASPS??". Don't know.

And.... Discuss Laughing Wink
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But with all these cameras, covering all our roads, they still managed to miss this one.... Crying or Very sad

http://www.policeoracle.com/news/Police-Hunt-147mph-Biker_16047.html
+
houghw
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this system works, anyone want to bet how long it'll be before all CCTV cameras use the same software?

I would be willing to bet good money that some bright spark is already working on it because at a stroke they would be able to throw a speed camera blanket over pretty much the whole country.

As things stand your registration is already logged on PNC everytime you pass one of these cameras!
NickG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

| equipped with wireless networking (though this sounds a little suspect,
| GSM technology is more likely),

You can do wireless networking over GSM. They're not mutually exclusive. It's a generic term that doesn't refer to any particular technology (unlike WiFi, WiMax or 802.11b for instance).

EDIT: Oh I see - the original article actually does say "wi-fi" and not just "wireless networking". I agree that this seems unlikely.
alab
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
Surely someone has seen one by now?

I travelled east on the A13 yesterday [Tuesday 15th] (Canning Town to Gosbrook interchange and beyond) and noted nothing different. The existing Gatso cameras were still there, as were the APNR cameras for the Low Emission Charging Zone.

So, are APNR cameras now being used for speed enforcement, or are Gatso camera boxes being enhanced with new innards, or is this a story getting a little ahead of its self with one eye on the Mayoral election, perhaps?
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Quite a little rant Dennis

Funnily enough now when you take a driving test you can fail if you dont "make proper progress" and with a motorbike you are expected to get to the limit of the road in a reasonable time that you are driving on and maintain as longs as conditions allow that speed

Go figure

Rolling Eyes

Actually, it is equally dangerous for someone to drive at 30mph on the motorway (and not being on the hard shoulder) with someone driving at 130mph !!!
Also one of the reasons that the B-roads are far safer than the ones in Greece is that the traffic actually follows the flow and there is not much need to overtake someone!

well...now logically they should set the road limits to +/- so for example the signs should change from 30mph to 25-30mph Exclamation
This will also pave the way for SLOW speeding cameras!!! Twisted Evil
I can imagine now a double headed GATSO (like a double headed monster) that can nick you even if you are too slow!!! Laughing Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, back on topic please (reminder, it was about the new SPECS camera type) or I'll lock the thread.
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinx wrote:
bmuskett wrote:

"Has seen one by now?"

I have noted, on a number of trips along the A13, some form of technology above each carriageway. The item are facing the oncoming traffic, AND the rear of the vehicles as they pass. Description; Cylindrical, about a foot long, about 4" diameter. Colour: White(ish). the same type of technology is present along the A2 into London.

I have always perceived these as being ANPR units. Are THESE the "new money getherering WASPS??". Don't know.

And.... Discuss Laughing Wink

+
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO this is unworkable.

Waspecs (wasps if ya' like) is totally flawed. a simple "pit-stop" or traffic volume can make the calculations too hard. Surely the only way this could work is the have no stopping, no junctions and no traffic!

I have said for some time that this governments intention is to get the average motorist off the road. Tax, speed cams, speed humps, congestion charges and the highest fuel costs in Europe (i think) all hidden under the "global warming" and pollution label.

As a Regional sales manager (DRIVEN 1,000,000 miles +) the knock on effect is rep.'s and the like will loose their jobs (companies cant afford the running costs). I know who's jobs will go first; - Livingston then BROWN then followed by the labour cabinet. There's only so much the public will accept.

(Political comments i have made do not imply support for ANY political party).

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: