Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPSWorld.com Topographical Library
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPSWorld.com Topographical Library
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like pocketgpsworld to create a library of routes and waypoints to share?
Yes, I have some routes and waypoints I would like to contribute
21%
 21%  [ 14 ]
Yes, but I have nothing to share at the moment
71%
 71%  [ 47 ]
No this doesnt interest me
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 66

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
My own opinion if that if we can serve up the various formats without the need for converters then we are on to a winner. This does of course mean more work for the administration of the data.

I agree here 100%.

Yes, it would be an administration burden for the person who maintains the data but the alternative is to have each person who uses the data mess around with converters to get it the correct format for their own particular software package. Confused
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the gain and the pain worth it?

Hmmm - I think so.

This is a good site partly because it does have something to offer. That offer is not a combination of software procedures and features but a platform allowing people to express their views in what seems to be a very civilised forum. (-: I have been on some forums that make bar-room brawls look like extreme acts of extremely civilised people :-)

Where do user GPS's go? Safari? Holiday? Mountains? Wild camping?

Anquet's website shows a level of support to their product users that is worth sticking to their product - for me anyway. The only limitation I can find is that it is UK based.

I really would like to see Anquet come up with a world map that will run in their software. If for nothing else but to help kids with geography (locate AB.CDE North and ST.UVW East now find the same point on OSGB map dah-de-dah ...)

Some more regions would be nice too ...

BBB
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB,

I am curently testing version 2 of my Windows PC POIConverter program which may be of some use in compiling the database of routes.

POIConverter V2 will convert Points of Interest (waypoints) stored in the following formats to any of the other formats in the first list. In addition route and track data conversions are available for the Maptech, Garmin and GPS eXchange formats

TomTom overlays (*.ov2, *.ovr)
TomTom ASCII files (*.asc) using Lat/Long or OSGB coordinates
Maptech Marks files (*.mxf), Route files (*.rxf), Track files (*.txf)
Garmin PCX5 Waypoint files (*.wpt), Route files (*.rte), Track files (*.trk)
GPS eXchange files (*.gpx)

Also the following formats can be read

MapSource waypoint, route and track data (*.txt) using decimal Lat/Long coordinates
AutoRoute Pocket Streets files (*.psp)
AutoRoute Map files (*.axe)

and the following formats can be written

AutoRoute Pushpins (*.csv)
AutoRoute PushPins with Continental numbers (*.tab)

Memory-Map Navigator can import and export Maptech formats. Garmin MapSource can export a tab deliminated text file and import PCX5. When it is ready I will send it to the Downloads area.

Richard
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokay!

Is there an address to upload stuff to?

I'll pop 2 .arf routes (Anquet OS based routes) as a start plus a couple of .JPGs too.

One is Mam Sodhail approached up the Sgurr na Lapaich ridge t'other is a lovely cycle run around Cannich, Glen Affric and Tomich

Wink
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you send your routes to routes@pocketgpsworld.com then I will save them up.

I am a bit snowed under at the moment with "real" (meaning paying) work and also trying to upgrade the server again. This means that we probably wont get too far in the next month or two with this, but if you send your routes in I will get them readu for uploading.

Useful info to include is:

Height Gained(approx)
Difficulty (easy, moderate, difficult, lunatics only...)
Type (stroll, walk, scramble, climb)
Estimated Time
Nearest Town
Other Comments.

Feel free to suggest other entries that might be useful here.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Groovio. Mucho,mucho groovio

I don't like adding to workloads where a bit of overburdening is already on the go but in this case I will make an exception.

Good on yer Mike

the bagal has landed
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I should have some routes for walks on Samos, Greece when I come back from holiday. It will be interesting to see how accurate my geo-referenced scanned maps are, it was difficult to get 3 points to use.

I scanned a walk map for use in Memory-Map OS 2004, found 3 reference points using my Garmin MapSource World map and calibrated it. Now I have exported 4 routes to my eTrex Legend for walking.

At least the routes that I bring back will be correct, even if they don't match my mapped routes very well.

Richard
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,

I had similar problems last year when I went to Italy to the Lakes area. I obtained a paper map, scanned and calibrated it and then found that it was only accurate around a couple of areas and way out in others. This could have a lot to do with the map stitching etc. I actually re-calibrated it whilst I was out there and got much better results. Part of the problem was the lack of a decent grid to line things up with and also having to guess the map projection.

On the same trip I had much better results with the Swiss maps. Here they have a great grid and co-ordinate system and the maps that I scanned were spot on.

Just goes to prove the old adage of GIGO Garbage I Garbarge Out...
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I presume that I can only recalibrate my map using the PC version of Memory-Map. If there is a way of doing it on my PocketPC then I would take that with me too.

My Samos walks are from the Sunflower Landscapes series and I find the descriptions difficult to follow when walking (too many alternative routes). I contacted Sunflower regarding the use of GPS systems but they were not interested. Another user had even offered to send them details after he had walked some of the routes - but again no interest Sad

Searching on the internet I discovered that the bests maps of Greece were of Soviet origin, but for some unknown reason they were not available at that time. Also it would be good to see some examples before buying.

Richard
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - apologies. I will get some routes in this evening following the format above.

I'll pop off a couple of digital images too

Bagal
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:

I presume that I can only recalibrate my map using the PC version of Memory-Map. If there is a way of doing it on my PocketPC then I would take that with me too.

As far as I know the calibration can only be done on the PC. Obviously the map file must contain this information, and thus I assume that it can be edited, but I wouldnt even know where to start there.

Oldie wrote:

Searching on the internet I discovered that the bests maps of Greece were of Soviet origin, but for some unknown reason they were not available at that time. Also it would be good to see some examples before buying.

A lot of the digital maps available are actually Russian Military maps. I havent actually used them (or seen them) myself. It is a bit of a shame that mapping is only available for some places due to human conflict rather than human endevour.

Every year that passes sees the increase in availability of digital maps. The US and UK are well covered albeit that some of the US data is somewhat old. Australia seems to be well covered as well, so are some parts of Europe. I think another project that would be good is to seek out Digital Maps of all the countries of the world. Or at least find out where they can be obtained from.
Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed this topic. Did a database get created in the end?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Maps, Routes and Waypoints All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: