Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Wide Area SPECS type camera trials start in London Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comAccording to this article in the Evening Standard, trials of a new type of speed camera that operates both as a standard speed camera AND as a wide area SPECS type average speed camera have started on the A13 in London.

Unlike standard SPECS which operate along clearly defined stretches, the new cameras, equipped with wireless networking (though this sounds a little suspect, GSM technology is more likely), communicate with each other and are able to track a vehicle across any area in which they are deployed. This technology could be used to enforce a blanket speed limit across a wide area with any driver whose average speed between two cameras exceeded the limit receiving a fine.

Ken Livingstone wants London councils to make 20mph the default speed because research shows reduced accident levels when lower speed limits are enforced. Of course if we all reverted to walking then road accidents could be completely eliminated but this is yet another example of motorists being singled out as a source of revenue.

The London Safety Camera Partnership has confirmed that the cameras will not be used to actively enforce limits during the trial and no fines will be issued from them during the test period.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely.... Confused
alistairm1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor MaFt.
Yet another category to be maintained, not to mention a new icon to be designed.

And another way to hoover money out of the pockets of the capitals motorists.
Having said that, there are some areas of London where 20mph would be an achievement worthy of celebration.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It could pave the way for "speed and-distance" cameras being rolled out across London,

Technically you could be 'nicked' when not even speeding, by using a short cut, if it was between two 'connecting' cameras.

Ken Livingstone is determined to make motorists life hell, i know he doesn't drive, but why does he hate cars so much?

I for one won't bother driving, wouldn't be able to stand the stress, so i supose he will have one!
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Why not just ban all vehicles from inside the M25 , then they would not have to worry about pollution or safety as every one would be walking every where. Life would be very slow in London then.
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is just CRAZY!!!! If such system ever start operating, then......where is the freedom????????
I believe the system is already TOO STRICT and causes too much of headache: speed cameras, SPECS, ANPR, mobile spots, congestion charge, CCTV, more cameras....

I think the whole approach is wrong! Instead of making the motorists life even more difficult they should try to consider to improve/widen roads and to improve access in general.
Motorists are not just some people that drive for fun.. It is proven how difficult a family's life could be without a car (for example, can you imagine go to the supermarket to do the family's week shopping using a bus???)
Or what about the people who work and dont live in the centre of London, where the option of the tube is not always available/or practical?
We actually had a lecture in Architecture about how large pedestrian areas with no vehicle access can be a real problem and if there is not a private transport how difficult life can be.

Anyway... as I am not British myself and I'm just a student, I see all this from the point of the "observer" Without trying to be offensive or anything else...I just wonder....How can you people accept all that and do not protest????
I remember they tried to bring some similar systems in Athens a few years ago, with automatic road barriers, parking meters, CCTV etc... and the people infuriated so much that they took hammers and broke everything apart and the police would not do anything to prevent them.
Now there is no politician that has the courage to try something similar, although speed cameras are creeping back in place.
I'm not saying that traffic regulations should be "loose" in an already congested city, but there are many different approaches to make things work, without making the life a real hell for someone
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We accept it because we are far too trusting. I hope that Ken Livinsgtone will get replaced in the forthcoming elections for London mayor which may for once send out a signal that drivers have had enough.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We accept it because we are far too trusting. I hope that Ken Livinsgtone will get replaced in the forthcoming elections for London mayor which may for once send out a signal that drivers have had enough.

Will Boris be any better, he cycles to work!

As with all new laws and regulations it is twice as difficult to remove or change them as it is to leave and continue.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
SpacedMan
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an idea,

If Ken wants us all to use puplic transport then why don't we, just for one day.

If everyone in London decided on a date and on that date all of us used public transport (Or tried to) I think London would grind to a halt, perhapes that would show that plonker that untill the transport system is up to scratch he should make our lives easier.

Once it is up to scratch, then and only then introduce all these fines ect.
Brickie64
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess someone's gonna have to come up with a clever piece of software for our GPS navigation systems. Perhaps it will recommend a "Pit Stop" if it detected that our average speed over the distance had exceeded the stated limit.

Sounds like a nice idea and I guess it was only a matter of time before Big Brother came up with some evil master plan like this. More innocent motorists will be punished while the real villains of the road continue to create havoc by lane switching and driving aggressively Confused

No doubt technology will defeat these systems in the end. I'm sure somone will find a way to break the communication between the cameras. Twisted Evil

Garmin Nuvi 3598 + GO 720 (+USA Map Card) + NavFree for iPhone in case all else fails ;-)
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Quote:
It could pave the way for "speed and-distance" cameras being rolled out across London,

Technically you could be 'nicked' when not even speeding, by using a short cut, if it was between two 'connecting' cameras.

Ken Livingstone is determined to make motorists life hell, i know he doesn't drive, but why does he hate cars so much?

I for one won't bother driving, wouldn't be able to stand the stress, so i supose he will have one!

GJF. Taking a short cut, which may be quicker??? Confused A possibility, but normally what happens is most other people take that short cut as well.. Crying or Very sad

Here's my two penneth though:-

Gatso ahead. Yellow post seen. Slow down to the speed limit, pass the camera and then speed up again (not going mad, but nonetheless I think we're ALL guilty of increasing slightly, once past the cash (collection) point.

SPECS. ! Slow down to the correct speed limit, and MAINTAIN that speed limit through the site (not normally more than, what, 2 miles??).

I have the "luxury" of cruise control, so set it to the (exact) speed (speed per sat nav, being more accurate than speedo!), sit back, relax, until through site.

Mmmm "WiFi cameras measure the (average) speed over a greater distance".

Picture this one. We who have cruise set it up, and relax through the site until we have to slow/stop.

Those that DON'T have cruise (a decreasing number). What are THEY going to be doing throughout the site?? Yep. Eyes firmly fixed on the speedo/windscreen/speedo trying to maintain the max speed "on the button", because "that's what we do".

So, with their eyes FIRMY fixed on the speedo/windscreen/speedo, THROUGHOUT THE SITE, my thoughts are that there will be (perhaps) MORE accidents, from rear end shunts as drivers will be spending more time looking at their speedos (cash dash board, not unerwear!!!!) as opposed to looking out the windscreen, where their speedo will vary by a couple mph.

There ya go. They're my thoughts Wink

Cheers
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem strange that in a city where the average speed most of the time is according to my GPS when in a car about 23mph. That they are so paranoid about speeding .
All they need do is add another million cars and the average will drop to about 18mph

Easy peasy lemon squeazy

Idea

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop driving UP TO the limit! If it's possible to "briefly" go "a couple" of mph over the limit, you're breaking the law. Remember, if you've got your sat nav reading less than your vehicle speedo, "a couple" of mph over the limit will show up as "a lot" over the limit on your speedo.

Get over your obsessions with driving at the top of the limit. Don't any of you ever ponder how many seconds earlier you get "there" by pushing the limit instead of staying within it?

I now know roughly where my true speed is compared with my speedo, so I know that if I stay just below my analogue speed display, I can relax my concentration without fear that a "momentary" inattention will take me over the limit. I'm not driving along with my eyes glued to the speed display, crashing into the rest of you. I'm such a good driver (Hah!!) that I can "feel" the engine and tyres through my bum, the steering wheel through my fingers - are you telling me you are not that good? You know full well that you are pushing the limit. It's not "a slight error" if you exceed it. Stop doing it.
GRRRRRRR!! Stop it! Grrrr Stop!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a little rant Dennis

Funnily enough now when you take a driving test you can fail if you dont "make proper progress" and with a motorbike you are expected to get to the limit of the road in a reasonable time that you are driving on and maintain as longs as conditions allow that speed

Go figure

Rolling Eyes

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I passed my test when I drove behind a man with a red flag, but now you will fail if you don't drive at 33mph in a 30mph limit area? Rolling Eyes

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: