Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems installing TTN3 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems installing TTN3 maps
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Problems installing TTN3 maps Reply with quote

Dear oh dear. Crisis!

TTN3 finally dropped through my letter box today. So I eagerly ran upstairs, installed the main program - no problems, then tried installing the maps.

And it has all gone wrong! Half way through each attempt at installing the maps to my storage card (Lexar 128mb SD card) it delcares there is a disk error and gives up. And now the maps for TTN2 have been wiped - and I need to navigate to High Wycombe tomorrow!

I suspect it is a corrupt sotrage card that is causing the problem, and have reformated it. The question is - what file system do i need (options of FAT 12, 16 and 32) and what cluster size? I have no idea what these things mean - could this be associated with my problem?

I'm at wits end now, and would very much welcome any advice.

Cheers all

Jed
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use FAT12. For a fairly neutral option, try FAT16 with either 8KByte or 16KByte clusters.

You may hit problems trying to install the full Great_Britain map via ActiveSync - ActiveSync can barf on large files, and at least one of the files in that map is large enough to provoke the problem. However, if you're patient it will probably work. That said - if you've got a SD card reader, use that to install the maps rather than ActiveSync.

If you're still having trouble, then you may find it easier to install one of the 64MB maps - that may be sufficient for your journey, and being smaller, may install more easily.

You said you had a Lexar SD card. Some ordinary (that is, not 32x) Lexar cards are rebadged Sandisk, which can be problematic. If you post any codes on the back of your card, I may well be able to identify who really made the card.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I remembered as soon as I pressed Submit - if, when formatting the card, you're give the option of creating a Backup FAT, say yes. It makes the card's file system rather more robust.

David
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnay thanks for your quick response. I really appreciate it.

The model no of the card is SD128, and the serial number is BQ3EC004370.

Will try and reformat again now, and will create the FAT backup.

Cheers again

Jed
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not a Sandisk code - so that's one worry aside. I suspect it could well be ActiveSync sulking because of the large file.

Keep persevering - hopefully the map will install in the end. Assuming you have no card reader and have to install via ActiveSync then, if you get a problem, I'd soft reset the Pocket PC, reboot the PC and reformat the SD card before trying again.

Good luck!

David
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks.

I don't have a card reader so am persevering with active sync. I think I'm on attempt 7 now - could be a long night ahead!

Failing all else I will try and install the smaller file instead as you suggest.

Thanks again

Jed
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find things work better if you install the map to a folder on your PC (the desktop is a good option - but it can be tricky as I think you have to enter the path manually).

Close the TomTom installer, then click on the map folder on your PC (either on the desktop or inside Windows Explorer), press CTRL and C. Open Windows Explorer if it's not already open, Mobile Device, My Pocket PC, Storage Card, then click in the right hand pane that now represents the root directory of your storage card and press CTRL and V.

Apologies for the very terse instructions - post again if you can't follow them. The process described copies the map to the storage card manually via ActiveSync rather than using the TomTom installer to do the job.

A SD card reader is a really useful piece of kit to have. A USB 2.0 4 in 1 (some are now as many as 9 or 10 in 1!) card reader from a good brand shouldn't cost that much. I've got a Belkin F5U248 8 in 1 USB 2.0 card reader, which sits unobtrusively on my desk, and works fine for SmartMedia (digital camera), SD (Pocket PC) and MMC (Nokia Communicator) cards. However that doesn't help you tonight!

There is, incidentally, a known bug in Windows XP if you have the Indexing Service enabled and one of these multi card readers installed - details can be found here.

If you're affected, either disable the Indexing Service and wait for Service Pack 2, or call Microsoft for the hotfix. I eventually did the latter, and unfortunately it was a rather painful process as support reception somehow couldn't see this KB article (833228) on their system and I had to speak to a support technician who insisted on going through every little step of the problem, leaving me to pay for a national rate phone call that lasted about 30 minutes. I had tracked the problem to Indexing Service before that KB article was ever issued, so I was more than ready to explain it in detail. I'm just a bit cheesed off that they made it so hard to get the hotfix.

I'd be interested if you'd post the exact errors you're receiving when trying to install the map, and whether my "copy to the PC first" idea helps any.

David
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of copying it manually.

So far so good - it seems to have been going for longer than usual. It is currently copying a file called "cline". Presumably if it does fail, I can just just manually copy the file it got stuck on across?

Fingers crossed...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cline.dat is the biggest file of a TomTom map - 53675KBytes in the Great_Britain Navigator 3 map. Hopefully it works installing manually - I'm glad that my instructions were intelligible enough to use.

I'll certainly be interested if the map install works fine this way but not via the TomTom installer - if so, it helps me help others in the future.

David
jedstagg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked! Thumbs Up

You are a diamond. Thanks for investing so much time into helping me sort this out.

If anyone else has problems installing the maps via active sync, the above "manual" method seems to work.

Cheers again Wink

Jed
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback - it helps me help others. I had picked up the suggestion from elsewhere in the forums that a manual map install via ActiveSync can work when the TomTom installer via ActiveSync fails, and was interested to try it out with you.

I know now that a manual install is the first thing to suggest to anyone who hasn't a card reader. Be reassured that your SD card is not a problematic type - and do consider getting an SD card reader (they make installing maps and the like much easier!).

David
timc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem when installing TT3 onto a 256 Mb CF card. Activesync was really playing up. I resorted to installing the maps onto my hard drive then copying the files manually.

What I found that did help was temporarily turning off all power management features on the pda, I did this as it looked as though the pda might be turning itself off after a 5 mins even though AC setting had no power down.

I am due to install French maps tonight so that should be a good test..

I do like the idea of a card reader. I will test the differences & update this thread.

Tim

Jornada 568
TT3
TOMTOM Wired Mouse
timc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a card reader on Saturday, & a brand new CF 256Mb card

I tried to install french maps (>200Mb) via activesync but died after a few minutes, I re tried many times.

I installed the card reader, Installed maps to a PC directory, then copied them across to the card via the reader, worked first time & did the job in about 10 minutes. This was via my laptop that only has USB version 1. If my laptop had USB version 2 then it would be way quicker. Thumbs Up

Therefore in my view, card reader is the way to go

Tim
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Cardbus USB 2.0 card probably wouldn't cost that much, especially if you don't care about a brand name (try eBuyer).

That said, you now have a system that works - and the speed gain by switching to USB 2.0 may be less than you think, as flash cards are often not that fast when writing.

David
Lennart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it helps others , here's what solved my problem when installing large maps

To make a long story short, installing the bigger maps failed 95 %
with error codes like "Device error" and some others...It always failed at the end of the ransfer

1.) I reformated the IBM CF II Microsdrive - did not help
2.) I installed to the PC, and moved the files to the CF mounted in a card reader - The maps I had a problem with installed correctly so I thought that was the trick, but the problem came back when installing other maps

So what was the problem?

My PC has USB 1.1 ports. To that port I had a USB 2.0 HUB connected
and the Craddle connected to the Hub. Since the hub is USB 1.1 compatible I belive that this should be a valid setup. The only problem I have had with this combo, was when installing the larger TT3 maps.
No problem with other SW. Haven't installed any files with this size before though.

Anyway, installing the craddle directly to the USB1.1 port solved it
Installing maps is working to 100% now

I do not know "who to blame", AciveSync, the CF, USB , TT3, etc.
But I do not care, it is enough for me that it is working

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: