Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to GPS, XDA Orbit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to GPS, XDA Orbit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigAl76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: New to GPS, XDA Orbit Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've had a look at the forum before, it helped me plump for TTnavigator6 for my new XDA Orbit, what a helpful site it is.

This is my first sat nav product, so I am unsure what to expect. Maybe you could give your opinions?

It takes anything up to 30mins to find a signal when I switch on TT, even if I stand outdoors, dead still with no obstructions in sight, is this the norm? I hope not, as half the time I will get to my destination before it logs on!

I downloaded some voices from some Australian site, obviously not TT affiliated Twisted Evil , saved them in the voices file on my mem card. However, TT doesn't seem to find them when I try and change the voices.

Any thoughts appreciated
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the quick GPS data on your device current as this is used to speed up signal acquisition time? also you mention problems with voice files from an Australian based site, where are you located UK or elsewhere, try putting the voice files in the voices folder located in My Documents, does it find them now - Mike
BigAl76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know about the quickgps, downloaded that and will check it later, thanks.

The only voices folder I have is on my storage card, if I go to my documents on the phone memory, there is a tomtom file there, but the subfolder is just the maps. There is no my documents on the storage card (I might have deleted it as I was deleting old empty folders).

One more thing, when I try and get a route from Glasgow to France, or the south of England, TT cannot plan the route. It's as if there are too many roads for it to analyse using the processing power of the phone. I tried Glasgow to Manchester and it could handle that, but not much further afield.

Is this usual? Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had routing calculation problems when selecting shortest route, the normal selection of Fastest will plan a route without a problem on the Artemis, what route type are you selecting? - Mike
BigAl76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use fastest route as standard.

As it analyses the route, you see the amount of roads it has to consider and it just crashes half way through.
It's not ideal, but I could live with it I suppose, just planning a journey in stages Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't crash out doing this, take a look at Start/ Settings _ Memory/ Running Programs then select "Stop All" now try running the TT application and planning a route, the WM5/6 OS doesn't close the applications down when you stop a program it stupidly leaves them running in the background consuming valuable memory - I have seen this cause problems in the past, what is the reported free memory space/ program space on the device when you are in the Memory screen? - Mike
BigAl76
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before stopping programs 6.98MB program memory
After stopping programs 14.5MB!!

GPS logged on nice and quickly.

Planned a route from Glasgow to Paris no probs.

Thanks very much for your help!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you can do is keep an eye on how the device is performing, if it feels sluggish in anyway you can go to Settings/ Memory and use the stop all to free up available space.

One other thing to watch is internet usage as the IE application saves copies of each web page in the internal memory which over time will clog up, if you do use the Internet from the device periodically start Internet Explorer and select Menu/ Tools/ Options select the Memory Tab and use the Clear History and Delete Files buttons to free up wasted memory - Mike
apw188
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my orbit2 tried moving voices to thy mydocs/my voices folder - didnt work.

Moved instead to the tomtom voices folder in (installed) program folder - worked fine.

cheers all

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: