Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Talex lite - Using the PocketGPSWorld database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Talex lite - Using the PocketGPSWorld database
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentwol wrote:
Lol, the more I read it the more I presume it's an April Fools... I'm not a subscriber so can't read the discussion thread - can someone confirm it for me? Laughing

It is an April Fools joke, I'll update the home pages to indicate that now Embarassed
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks Smile

When I first read it I got the dreaded feeling of having wasted many hours of my life! Purging the whole mobile database would be suicide Laughing But with news of flying penguins, anything might happen!

Now that's out of the way, a quick update on my progress Smile

I started writing the software last night to convert the PGPSW style of data into talex style data (read my post earlier about virtual 'driving' down roads to get the extra points at junctions needed etc.). So far I've got an alogirthm pinpointing which road the camera is actually on. No mean feat, as the map data is just millions (literally) of GPS coords with a bit of extra data saying how they are joined. I had to whip out some linear algebra (think cross products) that I thought I'd never actually use in real life... just did a term of nasty maths at univeristy - it's nice to actually find a use for it! Anyway, now I know the road I'm on, it's not so hard to move along it and generate the points I need for the talex.

Finally, another call for some old novus updates: I currently have version 7113, 8033, 8034 and 8035. If anyone has any other versions, please upload them to rapidshare and give me the link so I can take a peek. It would be really useful Smile
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentwol wrote:
Finally, another call for some old novus updates: I currently have version 7113, 8033, 8034 and 8035. If anyone has any other versions, please upload them to rapidshare and give me the link so I can take a peek. It would be really useful Smile

both novus and talex have 8042 updates today Wink
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. novus have messed up their update yet again, just tried the delta update and it wipes the lite clean as if it was a rider update Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilemma

I don't want to subscribe to Talex anymore once it's expired and Novus are allegedly producing dodgy downloads.

I'll use allegedly because I have heard from someone over at BriSkoda who has received a threatening letter from Novus re adverse forum publicity - allegedly.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lesson is always keep the previous update and don't delete it like I did until you've tried out the latest update... (I always try the talex ones first) I just copied the previous from my backup drive to get it back working though, so it's not the end of the world. But it's embarrassing for novus to mess up twice, particularly for owners who haven't followed the threads and don't know how to get it working again.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and don't know how to get it working again

You mean like me because I'm currently using up my Talex subs Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could one of the admins describe the behaviour of the camera ID for me please?

Is the camera ID unique? i.e. once a camera has been added to the database and deleted, no future camera will ever take up that ID again?

I'm asking because I'm working out how to deal with the addition/deletion of cameras from the PGPSW database and delete/add to my talex database.

I plan on finishing off the point generation program tonight... if all goes to plan I can get it converting... worryingly it isn't too efficient atm (rough calculation says it'll take about 50 hours to complete) so I'll either optimize or leave it running for a few days Razz

Thanks Smile
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ID is unique throughout the entire worldwide database. i.e. there is not gatso:1, redlight:1, mobile:1, nor is there a uk gatso:1 and a euro gatso:1

if a camera is removed then that id may be used again BUT only for the same camera if it returns. i.e. if a gatso gets beheaded and we remove it from database (in reality nothing gets removed, we just change it's status so you don't get it in the download) and a few weeks later it gets repaired then it would keep the same number.

if a new camera was built a bit further down the road then the replacement would have a new camera id

hope that helps

MaFt
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help MaFt.

I think my program is now accurate enough to start generating... with a bit of optimisation that should take about 30 hours (Shocked)

Here's a few points I've generated plotted on google maps.
http://www.clowt.com/view.php.htm

They're the red dots (you'll need to zoom out to see them and zoom in on them for detail). Click on them for info and refer back to my posted images a few pages back to see why they're placed where they are Smile

Now I need to write the program to convert these generated points into a binary file suitable for upload to the talex... shouldn't take long as I know exactly how the data needs to be formatted now Smile
silentwol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

1 = one-way, 2 = reversibale, blank = multi-direction
MaFt

SOrry, excuse my stupidity, but what's the difference between reversible are multi-direction?
jamesjrl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Flashing Reply with quote

i ve got a similar unit branded indic8tor and just out of curiosity flashed it with the novus software, a brief test shows it is working displaying time, speed etc.
It now has no voices only bleep warnings, but this may be normal?
pressing the left button also plays some voice extremely slowly, guessing this is a user camera add confirmation.
i`d be grateful for a link or summary of the novus manual to get an idea of what it is supposed to be doing, can`t find one anywhere

Currently looking through the manual posted (i think skoda forums) for the winbond sound chip maybe i can fix some sound stuff myself.

Happy to test anything that comes up, including that linux implementation that has been mentioned, quite happy to run rockbox on my 3g ipod so dont see why not on this too.
talexuser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Flashing Reply with quote

jamesjrl wrote:
i`d be grateful for a link or summary of the novus manual to get an idea of what it is supposed to be doing, can`t find one anywhere

have a look on the novus faq link under rider, the talex lite has 2 buttons on top, menu and user, the faq list what these buttons do on multiple presses when stationary or moving. The novus update turns the lite into the full talex with the majority of these extra functions the full version had bar schools.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silentwol wrote:
MaFt wrote:

1 = one-way, 2 = reversibale, blank = multi-direction
MaFt

SOrry, excuse my stupidity, but what's the difference between reversible are multi-direction?

reversable = 2 directions i.e. 90 degrees and 270 degrees, multi directional is you get a warning whatever direction you are coming from (i.e. there is no heading data)

MaFt
jamesjrl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: no voice Reply with quote

thx talexuser

the place you pointed me to kinda helped, confirmed what was on screen.

just to report my findings for anyone else with talex clone hardware, it seems that you can run the novus update, and the software seems to operate fine, but if your unit isnt a actual talex or novus, then it's possible you will not have any voice warnings at all.

i'm guessing this is due to the voices being kept seperate from the main program memory, on a differnet chip i believe.

looking at the manual for the suspected chip (thx to cheezemonkhai ?) guess the only way to proceed is either chip out, or possibly write a custom firmware that will write to the chip for me... either way is beyond my current capability.

it is fun to tinker, and has been interesting to see the other software on there, and would really like to use the pocketgps cam DB, but the original firmware is now back on until i learn more.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: